Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

torslanda on ebay mint 85k

Views : 1639

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2012, 20:15   #1
240fan

Exclamation torslanda on ebay mint 85k

just spotted this on ebay looks great very tempted !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240-...ht_1094wt_1186
240fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 240fan For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 20:50   #2
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Smile take a look

you only live a few miles away as far as i can tell why not get in touch and go for a look , preferably with another forum or knowledgeable friend.

seems a great looking car and should last longer that many a new one bought today.

never know if you go with cash he may be able to let you have it ,
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 20:52   #3
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david philips View Post
you only live a few miles away as far as i can tell why not get in touch and go for a look , preferably with another forum or knowledgeable friend.

seems a great looking car and should last longer that many a new one bought today.

never know if you go with cash he may be able to let you have it ,
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 20:58   #4
240fan

would love it, but have a 240 estate and a daf 33, too many cars already.
240fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 23:17   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

A truly lovely looking car ,,,BUT seriously "The best of this series?"who's he trying to kid.Not me for sure.Even my 240SE is better.I also don't have aircon to go wrong I also have the volvo sound system(radio/tape player).I also have antilock brakes on my K reg SE estate.As well as extra tweeters as standard in the rear doors.

If you want the "best get an imaculate GLT or GLE.

Don't get me wrong the torslanda is just as nice as any other 240 BUT all this rubbish about being a special winter model..And I'm convinced the quality in build declined around the last year of production.I have a K reg SE which has poor paintwork and the engine bay has a lot more corrosion on all parts wether it be painted or galvanised.
Very Basic and more like a DL model.End of run spec in other words have whatever you like fitted apart from a nice 2.3L engine and manual box.

Ok rant over but still an immaculate looking car.If only it was the 2.3L manual I too would be interested.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 11:26   #6
grin factor

Looks like a nice example, but good comments above too.
Depends on what you want.
grin factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 10:55   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

£1850 so far!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 11:55   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Default That's my old car!!

Unless I'm much mistaken, that is my old car!

I owned it in 1996/7, having bought it from the Volvo dealer in Bradford.

The first owner was a retired clergyman.

From memory it only had about 26,000 miles on when I bought it, and I have to say although it was in excellent condition I didn't like the sparse interior, the sluggish 2 litre engine or the manual box, and so I swapped it for a similar-age 240SE.

The car then went to DR Smith Motors in Selby, who had it on their forecourt for quite a long time before it was sold to someone I think in Doncaster.

It turned up on Ebay two years ago with 64,000 on the clock and sold for around about £1700 I think.

The one little oddity is that it now has GLT wheels and not the original Torslanda wheels on.

The one problem that I had with it is that it leaked water into the passenger footwell, but some strategic Dum-Dum sorted it!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Feb 17th, 2012 at 11:59.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 18:36   #9
minesa240x3
loyalty

Cheers Jack good info.Makes you wonder as the numbers decline each year wether we will see the same few cars being bought and sold on a more regulare basis?.
I don't actually not like the Torslanda but it annoys me to see the usual volvo hype about them being better.I know the seller wants the best price but if I were to sell mine I could easily outdo them just by stating the bits that the torslanda doesn't have.
regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 19:53   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

As I remember it 'my' Torslanda was a perfectly good car - and had been superbly cared for by it's previous owner.

But the 2.0litre engine was a bit gutless, and I really missed the autobox.

The spec was pretty basic. I think it had wind up windows all round, manual unheated mirrors etc.

The SE that replaced it had those few little 'extras' that in those days made all the difference - plus it had the 2.3 engine and auto gearbox.

The other negative for me for any 240 estate is the relatively meagre rear passenger space. OK the load area is vast, but the rear seat wouldn't take 3 adults like my current 97 V70 does.

After the 240SE I got a brand new V70 - and I can remember thinking just how much better it was to drive than the 240. Those were the good old days of company cars of course. Now that I'm funding my own chariot again my now very elderly V70 does the job very nicely thanks!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: