Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wet heating systems

Views : 2352

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:50   #11
dingov70
Master Member

Just been reading this thread , Might i suggest the use of reverse osmosis water from an aquarium shop , way way cheaper than distilled water & no drawbacks

I always use RO water to top up or refill empty systems as there are zero salts or whatever's that cause deposits in engine .

Toyota insist on the use of deionised water to fill /top up their cooling systems for this reason
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 23:49   #12
Premier Member

Well, I finally got round to doing the fluid change today, and have to say it was not a bad job.
I spent an hour or two making up adapters to connect a couple of short lengths of garden hose to the caravan heating pipes (22 to 15mm end flow reducers fit perfectly) and used an old Whale pump to push the fluid through; the actual flushing and refilling took about an hour.
Bleeding the system was a little difficult as the height difference between the header tank and the top of the bathroom towel rail is only about a foot, so there was very little head to push the trapped air out, but a little perseverance saw it done.
In total, I used 15 Ltrs of deionised water (Wilko’s, £1.25/ 2.5 ltr) and 5 ltrs G13 antifreeze from my local motor factors (11.60) to complete the flush and refill.
Caravan dealers are charging up to £200 to do the job.
60041 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 17:13   #13
AndrewBrown

you could us that waterless coolant stuff with no water in it at all

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/

looks good
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote