Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beating Brexit Day - 31 Oct 2019

Views : 5241

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 11:23   #21
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post
The date today is 18 August 2019 and there are 74 days left to go to Brexit on 31 October 2019.

Q1. If I were to order a new Volvo XC90 today, would it arrive before Brexit?

Q2. If it arrives after Brexit, then I might have to pay an Import Surcharge. I believe this charge is highly likely under 'No Deal' to be 10%. Correct?

Q3. I've been offered a cracking discount on a new XC90. That is, providing I order it very quickly. I've been told the expected delivery date is currently mid-October 2019. Can I believe this to be true? If it is true, then I would take delivery before Brexit and miss having to pay an Import Surcharge.

Q4. There is always a risk that the vehicle delivery might be postponed/delayed until after Brexit, thereby possibly incurring me with a 10% Import Duty surcharge on the vehicle price. a. Should I risk placing an order? or b. Should I wait a while and miss the cracking discount? There is always a risk too, that the dealership who are giving me the cracking discount are actually telling me a lie about the anticipated Delivery Date. After all, they are 'car dealers'!

Q5. What do you understand the current expected Delivery Date to be for a Volvo XC90 ?
Pre/post 31st Oct questions above are largely irrelevant to you if you have negotiated a deal with your dealer. Surely it is the dealer and not you that is importing the car, and thus parying any import duty. What you have to pay is entirely up to your agreement.

And should they insist that you have to pay any extra charges that they incur due to brexit simply test their optimism of a pre 31st Oct delivery by making that a pre-requisite of the deal.

Car agreements are a two-way thing, not a one-way thing.

Also, your car buying contract is with the dealer, not Volvo UK.

Last edited by tangey; Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:29.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 16:48   #22
ergonomist

Most standard purchase agreements for a new car include a clause that allows the dealer to pass on any increase in cost that is imposed on them (whether by Manufacturer or due to changes in Govt duty etc). The clause usually gives the buyer the right to withdraw from the agreement in the event of such an increase.

If you want to be sure that no surprise increases will be imposed, you should get the relevant clause removed/amended before you sign the agreement (which the dealer may be happy to do in order to secure the order)
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 22:08   #23
xsaab
Master Member

Is the promised car exactly what you want, ie the desired spec, extras or is pre specced to not exactly want you really desire.

I have been burnt recently by the offer not really being want I want.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:27   #24
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
Is the promised car exactly what you want, ie the desired spec, extras or is pre specced to not exactly want you really desire.

I have been burnt recently by the offer not really being want I want.
How did you get burnt ?, one assumes you knew the spec of the car you agreed to, or did the car arrive differently from the one you agreed ?
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 15:36   #25
Begonia

Had the great news yesterday, that my XC90 delivery has been brought forward from 14th October to the 4th October and with confirmation that it is actually now scheduled to be built during the 3rd week in September....

So that is nice and I am so relieved and a great weight has been taken off my mind.

I do feel for anyone else in a similar kind of situation.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 15:39   #26
xsaab
Master Member

I did not fully understand the interpretation of the terms used to describe the various features. However I have now fully explored where I went wrong and discussing a way out. I am looking forward to a chat on Friday.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 23:20   #27
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
I did not fully understand the interpretation of the terms used to describe the various features. However I have now fully explored where I went wrong and discussing a way out. I am looking forward to a chat on Friday.
Well that is clear then.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:39   #28
dghdgh

Default Confused

Sorry but I am confused, import taxes are not normally displayed on the car invoice. The manufacture who imports the cars to their dealer network would pay the taxes at point of import not at point of sale. Now if prices go up after brexit I can see that but only on orders that have been placed when the import taxes have been set and the supplier passes them on. If you have an order form I would be interested to see where it mentions increases in import tax, VAT yes as thats passed on at POS.
A contract is formed when the order form is signed if anyone backs out or terms altered it is a breach of contract.
dghdgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:52   #29
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghdgh View Post
Sorry but I am confused, import taxes are not normally displayed on the car invoice. The manufacture who imports the cars to their dealer network would pay the taxes at point of import not at point of sale. Now if prices go up after brexit I can see that but only on orders that have been placed when the import taxes have been set and the supplier passes them on. If you have an order form I would be interested to see where it mentions increases in import tax, VAT yes as thats passed on at POS.
A contract is formed when the order form is signed if anyone backs out or terms altered it is a breach of contract.
Depends what the contract actually states in this regard.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 13:16   #30
ergonomist

Just dug out the Ts and Cs when I bought my XC90 (I know - a bit sad...). My guess is they're pretty standard for any dealership. There's a clause that specifically allows the dealer to pass on any increase in VAT rate (and it's not a reason to cancel the contract).

Additionally, there's a clause that covers changes in the 'Manufacturer's or Concessionaire's recommended price for the goods' - which would include changes arising from changes in duty. This clause allows the purchaser to cancel the contract within 14 days once notified of a price change, if the dealer chooses to pass on an increase, or if there's been a reduction (as if!) and the dealer chooses not to pass on the full amount of the reduction.