Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New pride & joy

Views : 75642

Replies : 301

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 02:04   #101
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Just to keep yer "on yer Toes" Luxo..... Car is looking STUNNING MATE but ................................That Garage floor could do wiv a coat of Red Leadin !!

LOL!!!
No way if he did that you would loose site of the car LOL

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 08:35   #102
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Just to keep yer "on yer Toes" Luxo..... Car is looking STUNNING MATE but ................................That Garage floor could do wiv a coat of Red Leadin !!

LOL!!!
Oh, you're not kidding - that floor has got cracks in it big enough to lose spanners in, they need fixing then a coat of floor paint - it'll get done in grey I think. Another thing on the list, but oddly my wife doesn't think it's a priority????

Cheers pal
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 10:39   #103
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Another thing on the list, but oddly my wife doesn't think it's a priority????

Cheers pal

Women what do they know a

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 14:35   #104
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Oh, you're not kidding - that floor has got cracks in it big enough to lose spanners in, they need fixing then a coat of floor paint - it'll get done in grey I think. Another thing on the list, but oddly my wife doesn't think it's a priority????

Cheers pal
No Problem Luxo ...Always happy to oblige a fellow Volvoist.... Am Deffo thinkin NOT grey though Imagine if the Mrs saw Oily Footprints on it she would assume (As ALL WOMEN WOULD) that said Oily Prints would carry on into the house

& then "It'd be the rounds o the kitchen fer you my lad"!!!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 17:44   #105
Luxobarge
Premier Member

More fiddling today:

First I decided to finish the seemingly everlasting job of polishing it - there was only a bit of the N/S and the tailgate to do, but both had suffered a certain amount of light scratching, so it all needed going over with T-cut first, then a final polish. Happy with the result though:

The roof still has a few marks on it, but I'm intending to invest in a decent machine polisher before long, so I think it can wait until then, as this will make it a lot easier.

Now, while I was doing this a delivery van arrived with my leather re-colouring kit, which I got from Furniture Clinic - enough to do at least two full seats (the rear ones are OK). It's not cheap at £60 delivered, but it's a pretty comprehensive kit, it even includes a little air-brush spray gun for spraying the colour on.

This is the driver's seat before I started:

You have to thoroughly clean the leather with a powerful cleaning agent and a scouring pad (supplied) and then wipe it all over with an alcohol (hic!) contaminant remover, and wait an hour for it to dry. Then you wipe on some colourant, followed by some spray coats of colourant. This then took 2 or 3 hours to dry, so it's quite time consuming.

Next stage is to spray on the "finish" - you start with a gloss finish, and follow this with a finish of your choice, which in my case is "satin". I've sprayed on the gloss finish, but again it takes an age to dry, so I haven't completed the job yet, I'll post some pics of the finished article when it's all done and dry, tomorrow.

While this stuff was drying, the postman arrived with my tailgate trim clip kit, and so I decided to do the tailgate. There are two problems here, one is that the wiper doesn't park horizontally (it's cocked up at about 20 degrees), and the other is that the trim is loose and rattles like a bag of nails.

Trim came off reasonably easily, but sure enough some clips broke....

Then sitting in the boot with the tailgate resting on my knees I could easily work on the wiper motor assembly - having first removed the wiper arm from outside (13mm nut). The wiper motor assembly is held in with 3 x 10mm bolts, really easy, just undo these and the electrical connector and pull the spindle through the plastic bush that goes through the tailgate and out it comes.

On the bench I could see that number 1 problem was that the spindle was VERY stiff in the housing, almost seized:

I cleaned up the spindle and ran a fine round file through the spindle housing to clear the aluminium corrosion, and coated it all in white grease. It was all very corroded - I'd recommend this as a "service" type job to anyone with any suspicions about rear wiper operation at all.

Re-assembly was very easy, but before putting it back in the car I noticed that the black plastic spindle tube that sits in the metal of the tailgate was split in several places, so I coated the inside with some more white grease, cleaned up the outside and bound it up with a length of black duct tape - sounds like a bodge (and of course it is) but it will last a fair while like that I think and will certainly stop the water from getting in and further corroding the wiper assembly.

Then popped the mechanism back in and put the wiper arm back on and tried it. It was better, but still not parking horizontally. Where the short arm goes on to the actual motor spindle, it is fixed via another fine spline, like the wiper arm itself, and in the park position these should be in line like in the photo:

Mine was at about 30 degrees, so I released the arm from the motor spindle, adjusted it so it's in line (as in the photo) and then moved the wiper arm (externally) so it was horizontal and tried it again - it now works perfectly!

So that's another job ticked off - we can't have wiper arms akimbo can we?

Pretty happy with the whole project now - nearly there!

Jobs to do:

* Finish leather treatment
* Replace bulb in gearchange indicator
* Check for other switch bulbs gone
* Replace headlamp wiper motors (waiting for these from gdphillips hopefully)

I also want to shampoo the carpets and give the engine bay a really good clean, but I'm going to wait for warmer weather before doing this.

Gonna be able to get out there and drive it soon!
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 18:43   #106
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Good write up Luxo,very interested in how the leather turns out.Shes looking great.Ask Jim Day to put you up a picy of how his rear bumper top now looks,i did mine in a similar way.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 21:07   #107
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Anti slip grip used on steps etc think you can get it on e-bay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimDay For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 21:10   #108
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Thanks Jim - I quite like that, very neat and practical too. I shall keep an eye open for something similar!

Cheers
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 21:17   #109
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

My dogs often do a "Torvil & Dean Nil Points" when jumping into the car! Mainly due to slipping & sliding on the rear bumper top! I think some of Jims anti-slip material is called for
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 21:20   #110
johnnyv70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDay View Post
Anti slip grip used on steps etc think you can get it on e-bay

hi jim, had a look on ebay but cant find any thing similar, goes well with your silver car though...

john
johnnyv70 is offline   Reply With Quote