Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox Oil Choice? 2.3 T5 5 Speed

Views : 347

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 18:02   #1
Green440wedge
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Jul 17th, 2018 11:18
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Default Gearbox Oil Choice? 2.3 T5 5 Speed

The world of gearbox oils is quite confusing, it appears initially simple but it is not really. My V70 II T5 has done 113k miles and I figure the gearbox oil should be changed, I talked to an independent gearbox specialist who said at that mileage it would be a good idea despite the oil being designed for the life of the gearbox.

The Volvo spec oil is GL4 75W.
Comma do a GL4 75W and a GL4 75W80 fully synthetic.
Comma says their oils have not been tested on my specific gearbox though hence "refer to handbook", although their oils do meet other Volvo specs.

Carlube's old guidebook I found in a motor factors says 75W90 GL4 semi-synthetic. Their online system for my car says "refer to handbook" but if I put in a V70 I T5 or V70 II 2.4T then it gives 75W80 Driveline Multi-Vehicle Mineral Oil (this normally means a GL4 and GL5 compatible additive pack I think). I can't imagine the gearbox is different to mine....

The motor factors said 75W90 would be fine in an older higher mileage gearbox. Probably true.

I spoke to technical services at Comma and they said that EP (extra pressure) additives are now added to most gearbox oils, and that typrically there was more EP additives in GL5 compared to GL4. However, I think "EP" is also used as a brand name on GL4 products sometimes...

Anyway I have orded some "Made in Britain" Westway GL4 Synthetic 75W80, I got a good deal on it. I can't imagine it will do any harm.... I stayed clear of the GL5 which is not good for yellow metals apparently due to reaction with the higher dose EP additives. I just hope not being "EP" that it will be OK for the combined diff and gearbox unit.

If anyone has any better and precise expert level advice on this topic I would be interested to know. Thanks.
Green440wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 18:07   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 13:18
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Crewe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green440wedge View Post
If anyone has any better and precise expert level advice on this topic I would be interested to know
The only expert I used was a main dealer.
No research needed, guaranteed correct and it was about 38 for 2 litres.
__________________
2002 S60 SE D5 Manual
202000 miles
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 18:42   #3
Green440wedge
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Jul 17th, 2018 11:18
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Default

It takes 2.1 litres though, so you should have paid 57 for just 3 litres of gearbox oil for an old car. Crazy. So your gearbox might be a bit low on oil...
Green440wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 19:22   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 13:18
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Crewe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green440wedge View Post
It takes 2.1 litres though, so you should have paid 57 for just 3 litres of gearbox oil for an old car. Crazy. So your gearbox might be a bit low on oil...
I take it you haven't done this job before.

2.1 litres is the dry capacity so you'll never drain the full amount in a million years.
You'll find like me and everyone else that 2 litres is more than enough and you'll actually have a small amount left over.
The price isn't crazy at all. In fact, over 8 years since the last change, 38 is very reasonable and any saving by going aftermarket is negligible considering how long the oil lasts and the time you're spending researching alternatives.

Go genuine. Life's too short.
__________________
2002 S60 SE D5 Manual
202000 miles
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 19:34   #5
Green440wedge
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Jul 17th, 2018 11:18
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Default

Not on this car no. But Volvo doesn't make oil though does it, it just brands it to sell it at a premium. I reckon 75W GL4 or 75W80 GL4 fully synthetic will be generally acceptable, unless someone can tell me it definately won't be....
Green440wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 19:37   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 13:18
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Crewe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green440wedge View Post
Not on this car no. But Volvo doesn't make oil though does it, it just brands it to sell it at a premium. I reckon 75W GL4 or 75W80 GL4 fully synthetic will be generally acceptable, unless someone can tell me it definately won't be....
You want to buy 3 litres though, so what's your saving?
__________________
2002 S60 SE D5 Manual
202000 miles
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 19:40   #7
petey
Senior Member
 

Last Online: Today 12:34
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chippenham
Default

Further to Cheshire5Ds reply, if the dealer price is 38 (and thats what I paid when I did mine) how much can you realistically save and then risk the internals on a very expensive (in time, arseache and cold hard cash) transmission?

There are some areas to save cash on, powertrain essentials is not the place to start.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 19:57   #8
Green440wedge
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Jul 17th, 2018 11:18
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Default

Well 5L of GL4 75W80 fully synthetic can be had for 22 delivered.
Green440wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 20:26   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 13:18
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Crewe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green440wedge View Post
Well 5L of GL4 75W80 fully synthetic can be had for 22 delivered.
You can only use 2 litres though so you've saved 16 over what...... 10 years and presumably the unused 3 litres will sit in the shed for years too.

I'm trying to understand your logic but I don't get what you're trying to achieve...... Not for 16 anyway.
__________________
2002 S60 SE D5 Manual
202000 miles
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 21:01   #10
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:39
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green440wedge View Post
The world of gearbox oils is quite confusing, it appears initially simple but it is not really. My V70 II T5 has done 113k miles and I figure the gearbox oil should be changed, I talked to an independent gearbox specialist who said at that mileage it would be a good idea despite the oil being designed for the life of the gearbox.

The Volvo spec oil is GL4 75W.
Comma do a GL4 75W and a GL4 75W80 fully synthetic.
Comma says their oils have not been tested on my specific gearbox though hence "refer to handbook", although their oils do meet other Volvo specs.

Carlube's old guidebook I found in a motor factors says 75W90 GL4 semi-synthetic. Their online system for my car says "refer to handbook" but if I put in a V70 I T5 or V70 II 2.4T then it gives 75W80 Driveline Multi-Vehicle Mineral Oil (this normally means a GL4 and GL5 compatible additive pack I think). I can't imagine the gearbox is different to mine....

The motor factors said 75W90 would be fine in an older higher mileage gearbox. Probably true.

I spoke to technical services at Comma and they said that EP (extra pressure) additives are now added to most gearbox oils, and that typrically there was more EP additives in GL5 compared to GL4. However, I think "EP" is also used as a brand name on GL4 products sometimes...

Anyway I have orded some "Made in Britain" Westway GL4 Synthetic 75W80, I got a good deal on it. I can't imagine it will do any harm.... I stayed clear of the GL5 which is not good for yellow metals apparently due to reaction with the higher dose EP additives. I just hope not being "EP" that it will be OK for the combined diff and gearbox unit.

If anyone has any better and precise expert level advice on this topic I would be interested to know. Thanks.
It is all very simple , the volvo oil is the best you will get if that is what you want and the price is comparable with other gear oils ( which get more expensive each year )

All markets except CN 1 litre 31280771
All markets except CN 4 litres 31280772

This oil is fully synthetic transmission oil for manual gearboxes
with excellent shifting and synchronising properties at all
temperatures, especially at low temperatures. Being a low
friction oil, the temperature in the transmission is reduced.
Viscosity is low, which means reduced fuel consumption which
in turn means less environmental impact.
The oil is recommended for all model years of type M65
(5-speed with 6-cyl. engine), M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of
the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year
1996.
Technical data
Quality: API GL-4
Ford specification
WSS-M2C200-D2
Viscosity: SAE 75W
Color: Brown
Density: 852 kg/m
Base: Synthetic base oil
Lowest flow point -54C
Viscosity at +40C: 32 mm /s
Viscosity at +100C: 6.4 mm /s


However there really is no need to do this at all , as long as the level is correct signified by a bone dry casing leave it . It is the very best synthetic oil and will continue doing it's job for many years .( That is what synthetic does ) There are many 850's and v70s going around with their original gearbox oil and when I have been asked to drain it because no body believes me it is always just as clean and brown as the day it was put in .

You must not use an EP oil though , you do not have a hypoid final drive its just a pair of normal spur gear wheels .
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:36.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.