Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission Tunnel Depth / Circumference

Views : 681

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2017, 10:45   #1
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Default Transmission Tunnel Depth / Circumference

Hi

I understand there is a difference in transmission tunnel depth / circum / dimensions depending on long gear-lever / short gear-lever etc.

I have neither - it's a column change auto and I'm trying to work out how my tunnel would compare to which sort of manual tunnel. If that makes sense.

Car is registered May 1970. DL Auto 144

Thanks
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 10:51   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Am due to do some survey work adjacent my store later today, so will measure my donor 144 auto there and compare it with my manual 144 nearby. Not due back until Thursday though, but don't panic......

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 14:55   #3
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Top man - thanks Paul
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 20:23   #4
john h
VOC Member

I can shed some light on the tunnel issue.

100 series cars with the short manual gearlever (and, I think, the floor change automatic) have a raised section in the tunnel to accommodate the remote gear linkage, then a vertical drop near the front seats.

This is the front carpet to match this raised tunnel, moulded with a sharp drop at the end

Cars with the long manual gearlever have a tunnel which slopes down gradually, no sharp drop

I don't know which shape tunnel is used on the column change automatic, but comparing it to these photos should easily identify it

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 16:03   #5
Triple-S
How Old?

Just back from work so can confirm what John said above, but can add that, according to both the on-line 140 series catalogue I have also the huge illustrated parts catalogue book, the car floor frame (ie entire floor section) is the same regardless of which gearbox is fitted. It calls the upper bit #685987-0 a casing.
Too dark yesterday (and now) to photograph the '68 c/change auto I have for spares, also the '68 manual with the long gear lever, however tomorrow can do my manual '68 and '71 cars here. Also, I removed some tunnel carpeting on the auto and see a removable circular metal cover near the front as if confirming the same tunnel did for manual and C/C auto cars.
Yesterday I also saw that rear-end bulge in the carpet that John refers to, on my late-model 145 with the short stubby gear lever. However, no time to explore under the carpet, so I conclude that, if wanting to change to a manual 'box I reckon the earlier (long-throw) gear lever will go through that hole on your auto 'box tunnel top hole.
If you have time have a look under your tunnel-covering mat (plus insulation components) to see if your car also has that circular metal cover. No light yesterday afternoon to investigate further - sorry, but hope to go there again over the weekend (unless snowing, as they threaten!).

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote