Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help DVD no remote control!

Views : 6970

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2018, 07:43   #31
Conn3h

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Hi conn3h

The one for sale in Leeds is indeed the same. However the one in the link I sent has been confirmed to work by another member and will probably be a lower cost!
Thank you John, I’ve ordered the one in the link you sent me so hopefully when it comes it will be all sorted thank you for helping
Conn3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 15:42   #32
Conn3h

For those that are interested I can now also confirm that the remote that John gave me the link for works perfectly thanks very much for your help
Conn3h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Conn3h For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 16:59   #33
Ladwig

Angry DVD remote/Navigation Remote

Now I'm really confused, so please help out. We purchased a used 08 XC90 with the factory installed DVD player. We DO HAVE THE NAVIGATION REMOTE. Does this remote work with the DVD player? We tried, but the DVD would not turn on with this navigation remote. Do we need a separate remote for the DVD player? We are headed to Florida this week and I REALLY want a remote for the DVD player. I have also read that if we pick up a universal remote that we need a code for the remote. Does the DVD remote control the sound system so you can have the 5 way listening system?
Ladwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 17:35   #34
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladwig View Post
Now I'm really confused, so please help out. We purchased a used 08 XC90 with the factory installed DVD player. We DO HAVE THE NAVIGATION REMOTE. Does this remote work with the DVD player? We tried, but the DVD would not turn on with this navigation remote. Do we need a separate remote for the DVD player? We are headed to Florida this week and I REALLY want a remote for the DVD player. I have also read that if we pick up a universal remote that we need a code for the remote. Does the DVD remote control the sound system so you can have the 5 way listening system?
Be aware of the different DVD player systems fitted to XC90s over the years and in different markets

The UK had a special, UK-only, 10-DVD changer in the cargo area of the XC90. Other countries never had this.

The standard European and USA market DVD player is a single-disc DVD player in the center console armrest.
I have this in my Euro-market 2009 XC90.

Even the single-disc player went through many generations:
2005-2006 For chassis number: 137372-258728 Gen 3.2
2006-2007 For chassis number: 258729-371137 Gen 4.1
2007-2008 For chassis number: 371138-* Gen 4.2
2009- Gen 4.3

I have generation 4.3
You likely have generation 4.2

IDENTIFICATION OF DVD SYSTEM FROM VIDA
Generation 3.1
Equipped with a remote control that has 29 buttons.
Has two 7" screens.

Note! When replacing the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE) the remote control must also be replaced. The new remote control, which must be used, is generation 3.2. The chassis number as set out above must now be used to distinguish the systems.

Generation 3.2
Equipped with a remote control that has 16 buttons.
Has two 7" screens.
Here's one on eBay (the bigger remote is the DVD remote)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-S80-X...MAAOSwkLJbG9Be

Generation 4.1
Is equipped a remote-control that has 22 buttons of which one button is red and 21 are white.
In addition, there are two sockets for headphones on the AUX panel. One socket for the left-hand screen and one socket for the right-hand screen.
Has two 7" screens.
Here's the Gen 4.1 Quick Guide, with pictures of the Remote
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...ick_guide.html

Generation 4.2
Is equipped a remote-control that has 22 buttons of which one button is red and 21 are white.
Has two 7" screens.
Remote looks same as Gen 4.1

Generation 4.3
Equipped with a remote control that has 17 buttons.
If the system is equipped with a TV (DVB-T) the remote control has 29 buttons. In addition, there is a visible card slot for a subscription/program card on the TV receiver.
The TV receiver is installed in the cargo compartment, in XC90 on the right-hand side under the cover above the wheel housing.
In S80 (07-) it is installed on the left-hand side inside the side panel, and in V70 (08-)/XC70 (08-) in the storage compartment below the cargo compartment floor.
Has two 8" screens.
Here's a picture of one
http://www.2040-parts.com/remote-con...tion-i2277480/

Roof-mounted system for rear seat entertainment
Model Model year
XC90 2005–2010
The roof-mounted system consists of a unit with an 8-inch monitor with integrated DVD player.
The unit is mounted in the roof between the front seats. The unit has a monitor that flips down/folds up automatically when switched on/off.
Roof mounted RSE is available in two versions:

Generation 1 has the DVD player in the roof by the cargo compartment (above the right-hand head restraint), whilst the monitor is in the roof.
Generation 2 has the DVD player and monitor in the same unit in the roof.

Rear seat entertainment system (RSE), Myron & Davis
Model Model year
S80 (07-) 2008-*
V70 (08-) 2008-*
XC70 (08-) 2008-*
XC90 2008-*
XC60 2009-*
S60 (11-) 2011-
V60 2011-

* Only applies to North America. XC60 applies globally 2010-.

The system consists of two brilliant 7-inch, 16:9 format LCD screens. The screens can be adjusted manually to minimise the risk of reflections and mirroring in strong light conditions. The DVD players are integrated in the screens. Media discs are loaded from underneath, which reduces the risk of small objects being inserted into the DVD player. The system is equipped with AUX inputs, which make it possible to connect external media sources: iPod®, MP3 player, video camera or games console. The system also contains two pairs of wireless headphones and a wireless remote control. The DVD devices have been thoroughly tested and meet Volvo's high demands on safety.
What makes Myron & Davis RSE unique and easy to separate from the other systems is that each head restraint contains a monitor and a DVD player.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Jun 11th, 2018 at 17:53.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 17:37   #35
SwissXC90
Premier Member

PS: PM me your VIN and confirm your market area (Europe, USA, UK, or other) and I'll tell you the applicable part number for the DVD remote for your car.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 17:40   #36
SwissXC90
Premier Member

And just to add to the remote fun:
The car comes with 4 x audio/nav system remotes:
  1. Navigation Remote (which you have). Supplied standard if navigation was fitted.
  2. Audio System Remote - so the people in the back seat can control the radio etc. I have this. Was always an option. They appear on eBay from time to time.
  3. DVD Player Remote - if you have a DVD player. You can use the player without the remote too, just not as easy.
  4. Headphone Remote Controls, Left and Right: (optional) for connecting headphones for the rear seat, 2nd and 3rd row, so they can choose an independent audio source through their controls. Not needed for the IR headphones for the DVD system
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 21:41   #37
Unicron

I have a single disc 2005 Volvo with no remote. I'm pretty sure it's the 3.2 model above.

I can turn it on and play dvd's using a JVC vcr or dvd remote, and with universal remote apps on my smartphone. But I cannot get the volume to play in any way. The headphone jack only plays the Radio/CD with the select button, and my stereo has no AUX button or hookup. Tuning my radio to 88.1FM or whatever didn't work either (I tried the entire FM dial).

I would like to turn on the rear speakers for the dvd player, without the remote. Or be able to listen to the dvd player via the headphones, without the remote. Other than a $120 remote from Volvo, has anyone found any remote (universal, app or otherwise) that has the VITAL speaker/sound source button??

Any ideas?
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 01:30   #38
OBERGER

Same issue with an XC90 2004. Where can I find the remote control?
Peter, I´m new here and I can't send you a PM yet.
OBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 06:44   #39
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, if you have the 10 DVD system in the boot area, see

https://www.remote-control-world.eu/...control-p-2374

Hope this helps
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 10:00   #40
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
Where can I find the remote control?
There are one or two hidey-holes in the XC90 that could contain your remote(s). I assume that you have looked in the seat pockets and under the rear seats etc?

There is an elasticated pocket on the front of the driver and passenger seats. That is where I found mine.

Last edited by gmonag; Aug 13th, 2018 at 10:04.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote