Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 D3 juddering at low rpm

Views : 1792

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 18:42   #1
foneman
foneman

Default C30 D3 juddering at low rpm

Hi My C30 D3 2012 R-design has suddenly started juddering at around 1200-1500 rpm in any gear.
I have tried a bottle of fuel injection cleaner and also BP Ultimate Diesel fuel,in case it was poor fuel causing the problem no change.
The fuel filter was changed less than 2 months ago around 600 miles travelled since by Volvo main dealer.
Anything else I could check before booking it in with my local Indy?
foneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:22   #2
Matt8808

My C30 D3 had a similar issue and it turned out to be a failed engine ECU. Water gets in to the housing and rots it.

Thankfully my car was still under warranty as I bought it used from Volvo last year so they replaced the ECU and modified the housing to stop water collecting inside it.
Matt8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 13:53   #3
Yobbo
Dave

I'd be inclined to think it's transmission related - thinking DMF here...
Old May 25th, 2018, 21:09   #4
foneman
foneman

Thanks for the suggestions,I have managed to plug in my cheapo obd-II reader off ebay that i had lying around.The only fault code is p0022 which is "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded I am now wondering if it could be ecu related which I really hope not as I've no warranty on the car.Is it easy to get access the engine ecu to check?
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:21   #5
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by foneman View Post
Thanks for the suggestions,I have managed to plug in my cheapo obd-II reader off ebay that i had lying around.The only fault code is p0022 which is "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded I am now wondering if it could be ecu related which I really hope not as I've no warranty on the car.Is it easy to get access the engine ecu to check?
The ECU should be located infront of the N/S wheel which means bumper removal is necessary.
That problem sounds really odd to be honest!
Getting the car read using VIDA DICE is going to be a far better indicator of what's going on. - I can't fathom as to why your Cam timing would be out, perhaps a sensor issue... Nut until you get Volvo diagnostics on it its a guessing game.
Old May 29th, 2018, 14:14   #6
foneman
foneman

Hi well the problem has manifested it's self.I had a warning message come up saying soot filter full while on the motorway and soon after engine service required message that disappeared then came back then the soot filter full message disappeared.I have looked at getting VIDA from a ebay seller but I have seen a few folk having problems getting it to run.I have a laptop that i was thinking to modify to duel boot as it's windows 10 at present and then put on a copy of Windows 7 Pro 32 bit but not sure if this would work?
Also if it is the DPF that's not regenerating can I force a re-gen in VIDA?
Old May 29th, 2018, 15:43   #7
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Firstly is it misfire from injector?,
As suggested DMF sized you'd hear clunk or is it worn.
Soot filter has come on for a reason check codes then update
Yes you can force regen using vida get car up to temp really hot cem sw must be on latest one then go into ECM activations regeneration

Regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 21:20   #8
foneman
foneman

Well I have now got a VIDA DICE unit off Ebay and got it working on my Windows 10 laptop.
I reset all all the codes and took the car for a long drive and it seems the DPF issue has gone.I now only have one fault code P0130 O2 circuit signal too high.
Can I look at the voltages in VIDA as I want to be sure it's the sensor that's at fault before replacing it.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 13:28   #9
foneman
foneman

I have managed to pull up the lambda sensor reading and it only changes from 0 to 2 over the space of 20 mins then it stays fixed.
Are there any VIDA experts who could point me out if this is normal operation?
VIDA does give me voltages to check but with not having the ECM break out box I don't think I could measure them but maybe someone knows a way?
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 13:49   #10
FunkyMelon
Master Member

A lambda sensor should continuously oscillate between 0V and 1V at idle so yours does not sound right at all.

Have a google as to what the wave form looks like