Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

m.o.t.

Views : 1033

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 21:56   #11
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
As a aside to MOT testing , bounce testing of shocks is NOT allowed or prescribed in testmanual

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....4s02000701.htm

See a tester doing so , ask them to produce the manual & explain where it says bounce the car
I watch the guys MOTing my car every time and I would take the **** out of them if they "bounce tested" the back of my car!
This year the 940 failed but the tie rods have been living on borrowed time for at least two years, so fair do's.
Passed last Thursday, another year of VOLVO POWER as my wife calls it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 01:03   #12
manxdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Even when Nivos work properly, they still don't self-level :

Land Rover developed a self-levelling rear suspension using the "Boge Hydromat" self-energising hydraulic strut.[13]

Of similar construction to a hydraulic shock absorber the strut used the motion of the suspension travelling over bumps to pump itself back up to a pre-set height. It was sufficiently powerful to regain up to 85% of normal ride height with a full load over the rear axle, and had the advantage of requiring no external power source or a dedicated hydraulic system in the vehicle.

That is extracted from this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-levelling_suspension

My point is that the Nivos only get to a certain level, they don't actually return the ride height to normal. To me, that isn't self-leveling suspension and isn't worth the extra money.

I'd rather spend £20 on a pair of those "Rubber Donuts" better known as Grayston Coil Spring Assisters :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grayston-...UAAOSwJH1ZKXwx

Each to their own! I'm just glad they've stopped making Nivos and nobody can repair them - there are better options these days that are probably nearly as cheap as Nivos and will get the ride height where it should be such as air-bags (not those IEDs built into the steering wheel, dash etc) and so on.
Thats the thing I was on about on Rangey Classics and 110 CSWs.
Total waste of time, never ever ever drove 1 ( and there was plenty) where it actually works.
Heavy duty springs and decent shocks beats any self levelling crap any day!
manxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manxdog For This Useful Post: