Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2004 1.9D Sport Lux - 226k - £150

Views : 726

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2018, 18:12   #1
cbarrow

Default V40 2004 1.9D Sport Lux - 226k - £150

It is finally time to say goodbye to our V40. The reason for sale is that I've been offered an S60 from a family member at very fair price which was too good to decline..

The V40 is a 2004 Sport Lux model in silver. We have owned it since May '09 when it had done 64k. It has a fsh, a history file with all the work that has been carried out, and been run on Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil since we've had it.

It has been super reliable. It is not perfect though by any means and I'd be happy to sell it for its scrap value (been quoted £150) if anyone from the forum would like it.

The good points first..

Full service history, including 2x cam belt changes. Full history file. Run on fully synthetic oil. Interior (beige leather) in good condition for age (apart from one small tear on top of dash when I tried to transport a long piece of wood). MOT till mid-Jul 18.
One previous owner before us.

New front tyres in Nov 17 (done approx 6k)
Replaced fuel pressure regulator and sensor Nov 17
Air con compressor and aux belt changed Jul 17
N/S/R wheel bearing Mar 17
Front discs and pads, and rear pads done Aug 16
Both front coil springs replaced a couple of years back. Rear nearside spring replaced 2014.
O/S/F wheel bearing Aug 15
All brake calipers renewed in 2013/2014..
Volvo cup holder in rear ashtray (with original accessory box)
New aerial.
Genuine Volvo mats all round.
Light kerbing to front alloy wheels, very light kerbing on rears.

Removable towbar with single power socket (the previous owner had a small trailer). We've only used the towbar once.

Volvo retractable rear net guard (never fitted) between rear seats and boot.

It is running well and returns 50+ mpg (got 60 mpg on a run recently!)

Bad points.

A couple of years ago it had an altercation with a pheasant then a dog-sized deer which cracked the front bumper and took a piece out of the lower side part the bumper. I couldn't find a replacement Sport Lux bumper so it was replaced with a standard V40 bumper, but had to forego the headlamp wipers - which we haven't missed tbh. Part of the front of the wheel arch liner on the n/s/f also got broken off and I haven't got round to replacing it.

There is corrosion starting on the edges of each front wing where it meets the bumper. There is a small parking dent on the o/s/r wheelarch and corrosion starting in that area, and also along the bottom of the driver's door. A couple pieces of the "egg-box" front grille are missing.

There is a crack in the off-side headlight glass. The headlights where replaced with brand new (original Volvo) halogen headlights shortly after we bought it, since there was a problem with one on the bi-xenons and the cost of replacement was really expensive.

I had a problem with the idle a few months back. I changed a few components but it made no difference. I tried to get the EGR valve out - but gave up. I cleaned it in situ best I could with carb cleaner, and since then the idle has been fine (suspect the EGR couldn't close properly). In my attempt to get the EGR out, I broke off part of one of the 3 tabs which hold the EGR to the engine (I tried to tap it round with a hammer - mistake!). There is enough of the tab left (and the other 2) to secure the EGR though. Ideally, it could do with a replacement EGR at some stage.

It communicates with VIDA/DICE (or Maxidiag) rarely/intermittently. I thought it was just the connector, but I can't seem to fix it. It may be the CEM (Gatos kindly offered me one to try, but since the car ran fine after I cleaned the EGR I never got round to it).

Front windscreen washer is controlled through the rear wash-wipe switch. The front washers stopped working, so I swapped the connectors between from and rear wash at the bottle. It therefore has no rear washers.. but rear wiper works.

Interior Fan speed erratic. It generally works ok but if you set a manual speed it kind of speeds up and down for a while before settling.

It has only one working key. We still have the other but the electronics in it are broken. Volvo can provide replacements but I think they are around £100.

SRS light comes on if you allow anything to roll about under the front passenger's seat! Can be reset, but note the problem with diagnostic comms which are intermittent.

Suspect there may be a leak in the air con system - since it has stopped working. It would also be worth checking all the brake lines given its age. I had a caliper leak at the union with the flexi pipe causing loss of brake pressure in one circuit a few months back (the cause was a corroded washer - fitted by Volvo main dealer who changed the caliper!!). I'd planned to check all the lines this summer. The clutch is fine and is not slipping, but I can't help think that after 220k it will need changing at some stage - however, I also thought that at 140k and it is still going! The clutch has a high bite point, which it has always had even when we bought it.

I'd rather the car go to someone rather than be scrapped. It feels like it still has life left in it. Most of it's driving has been a 60 mile round trip commute each day, generally at a steady 50-60 mph.

if anyone is interested please get in touch. Otherwise it goes to the scrappies in early May.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020097.JPG (150.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P1020103.JPG (136.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1020104.JPG (151.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P1020100.JPG (147.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg P1020099.JPG (142.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1020098.JPG (150.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1020101.JPG (150.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1020102.JPG (139.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by cbarrow; Apr 21st, 2018 at 18:20.
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 23:06   #2
cbarrow

V40 goes to the scrappies this Friday unless someone would like it...
Old May 1st, 2018, 22:28   #3
gadgetgricey

Hi there,.

Apologies but only seen this thread late on, would you be able to send me a pm with the reg number.

Interested to get an Insurance quote, check tax amount and MOT history,

Cheers

Dave
gadgetgricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 20:25   #4
cbarrow

PM'ed..
Old May 4th, 2018, 18:00   #5
cbarrow

Sadly just scrapped today...

Mods please delete/remove thread as reqd.