Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insanity 1 Commen Sense 0

Views : 1382

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:22   #1
Mav_UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2294847.stm

You really have to put up with a great deal in Northhamptom don't you Nigel?

Stu
Old Oct 6th, 2002, 22:38   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: Insanity 1 Commen Sense 0

Yep!!! As a reasonable citizen I pay my taxes and this is what happens. I might add that the local authority could not supply a suitable secondary school place for my daughter despite having 13 years warning. I sent her privately, paid out of taxed income only to read that the government now wants restrictions placed on private school pupils entering university. Great, kink you in the ''ba*** ' one way ,kick you the other and spend any money on useless items such as this. Northampton also had a great system for getting rid of rubbish. We could recycle it by taking it to the municipal tip and they could deal with recycling there. Now they placed new limits on the number of bags, the types of vehicles going into the tip and as a result everything is recycled by throwing it in hedges, laybyes etc.
Now this would not appear such a bad thing as the county council now save money as less rubbish is going to the tip. The downside is that the borough council has to bear the expense of clearing up he mess. Either way the council tax will rise. Northampton also has zero tollerance with speeding,parking etc. i.e. get the motorist. New empires of office buildings and staff are devoted to this monumentous task of clamping down in the name of safety. Now in the name of safety I pointed out a very dangerous road junction and spent months campaigning for a give way sign. NO MONEY< NO MONEY<NO MONEY!!!!!!
Eventually I challenged a road engineer to view the problem. As he stood there a bus nearly hit him!!! I got the sign!!!. Heard the one about Buckinghamshire???? Spends most of the road repair budget paying out to motorists whose cars are damaged by fauly roads!!! PLEASE, PLEASE whoever you are can you please come and get your so called experts and take them back where they belong. Otherwise you never know what scheme they will come up with next. Cheers Nigel.
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:22   #3
mike s

Looks like most Councils are like mine-run by peoplw who wouldn't be given a job as office junior in any self-respecting "real world" business. Our's (Copeland) has spent hundreds of thousands of pounds replacing tarmac road surfaces with "pretty" brick setts, which are having to be dug up & replaced as they can't take the traffic weights!
Mike S
Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:57   #4
tllewellin

You just knew there was a Council employee out there who was also a Volvo owner didnt you?

Well Im guilty on both counts, and have to say that there are some really "jobs worth" orientated people in most councils. This may be down to a number of problems, 1) the machine is so big that after a few years trying to change the system you realise that if you continue to fight the system you just start to suffer poor health, so you stop fighting and let these issues go on. 2) Some people like "not making a difference" and wont point out stupid practices. 3) Some rise to the level of their greatest incompetance, as somebody who wants to make a difference you have to get past them, and yes they dont trust anybody who knows what they are talking about, hence your stuck at the bottom.

And yes after 2.5 years Im looking for a new job! Tim.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 23:56   #5
mike s

Mike Sterland
The thought did enter what's left of my mind, Tim.
Apologies to all COMPETENT council employees & good luck with your search for alternative employment.
Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:05   #6
tllewellin

OK, I’m a poor speller, but I hope this inability is not a reflection on either my I.Q. or the quality of the work I do (which is normally spell checked)! Tim.