Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diagnostic tool for Volvo

Views : 20382

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:12   #1
ps40v

Thumbs up Diagnostic tool for Volvo

Hello everyone.
I thought I'd share some info about diagnostic tools for Volvo using obd2 connection. Like most Volvo owners I found it difficult to locate a decent tool that would actually communicate with my 2005 S40, I purchased a generic tool and it didn't want to know, so after much research I bought a Vida Dice diagnostics tool with software, I also purchased a net book with the recommended spec and a copy of windows Xp professional with service pack.

After much frustration, choice words, three dice discs later and three months down the line with still no joy of the Poxy software installing ( even a professional IT bloke couldn't get it to install ) I almost gave up.

That is until I discovered Delphi ds150e, installed straight away, the tool connected to my car instantly and I was able to view live info, reset codes etc.
So you do not need to pay out for expensive Volvo branded diagnostic tools which may or may not work depending on how it feels.

I hope this helps anyone fighting with Vida dice. This Delphi tool is not restricted to Volvo, it connects to over 40 brands of cars and over 40,000 cars.
ps40v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ps40v For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:35   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps40v View Post
Hello everyone.
I thought I'd share some info about diagnostic tools for Volvo using obd2 connection. Like most Volvo owners I found it difficult to locate a decent tool that would actually communicate with my 2005 S40, I purchased a generic tool and it didn't want to know, so after much research I bought a Vida Dice diagnostics tool with software, I also purchased a net book with the recommended spec and a copy of windows Xp professional with service pack.

After much frustration, choice words, three dice discs later and three months down the line with still no joy of the Poxy software installing ( even a professional IT bloke couldn't get it to install ) I almost gave up.

That is until I discovered Delphi ds150e, installed straight away, the tool connected to my car instantly and I was able to view live info, reset codes etc.
So you do not need to pay out for expensive Volvo branded diagnostic tools which may or may not work depending on how it feels.

I hope this helps anyone fighting with Vida dice. This Delphi tool is not restricted to Volvo, it connects to over 40 brands of cars and over 40,000 cars.
Unfortunatly they are not volvo branded tools but counterfeight , the genuine volvo ones work fine and so do most of these fake ones ...
Old May 3rd, 2014, 13:20   #3
jeffmasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps40v View Post
Hello everyone.

its just looks like a over priced obd2 scanner like the ones on ebay for Ģ3.

dice is very different as it allows you to control and monitor the can bus. can be a bit of a pitta but worth the effort
Old May 5th, 2014, 13:37   #4
getsome

The delphi ds150 is the same as Autocom and is a 1500 Ģ interface (cloned version is 100 Ģ) so itīs as good as the dice unit , sine we cannot do any programming with our chinese products the Autocom CDP+ or delphi DS150 are as good if not better since they cover 99 % of all brands and can also scan all modules and perform vehicle specific functions as reset DPF counter and so on.
getsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 19:04   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome View Post
The delphi ds150 is the same as Autocom and is a 1500 Ģ interface (cloned version is 100 Ģ) so itīs as good as the dice unit .
Those are not even a patch on the VIDA software and DICE unit (even a cloned one).

You cannot do any specific diagnostic tests (e.g injector tests, relay tests, live data etc...)?? That's before you even get into all the extra stuff you get with VIDA such as part number catalogue, diagrams & illustrations, repair instructions & guides, voltages, torque settings and diagnostic tests to run.

If your talking about a generic tool that can be used on a number of different vehicles then yes the Delphi might be a better option but for Volvo specific then hands down VIDA/DICE wins.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2014, 21:17   #6
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

if you run XP with internet explorer 8 (should come on Vida disc), make sure it does not communicate with any internet connection, there are plenty of walk throughs to set up Vida/Dice, and as said, generic is not a patch on Vida.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:21   #7
getsome

I have both Dice and DS150 (CDP+) and my DS150 will do live data as good as the dice , if you have Generic version of DS150 then like you say itīs not as good because of lack of functions but the full version of delphi or Autocom Cars is as good in my opinion , Sure you get diagrams with Vida but you donīt need the actual dice to run the Vida s.w.
getsome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getsome For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 07:21   #8
Liliflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome View Post
I have both Dice and DS150 (CDP+) and my DS150 will do live data as good as the dice , if you have Generic version of DS150 then like you say itīs not as good because of lack of functions but the full version of delphi or Autocom Cars is as good in my opinion , Sure you get diagrams with Vida but you donīt need the actual dice to run the Vida s.w.
what's the version of your DS150E/plus? I had the 2014 Release 3 (2014.3V), but i had some trouble installing the software? Should i change another laptop?
Liliflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 06:53   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Those are not even a patch on the VIDA software and DICE unit (even a cloned one).

You cannot do any specific diagnostic tests (e.g injector tests, relay tests, live data etc...)?? That's before you even get into all the extra stuff you get with VIDA such as part number catalogue, diagrams & illustrations, repair instructions & guides, voltages, torque settings and diagnostic tests to run.

If your talking about a generic tool that can be used on a number of different vehicles then yes the Delphi might be a better option but for Volvo specific then hands down VIDA/DICE wins.
And then what about all the other modules on the Volvo? The Vida/DICE set up should be able to communicate with everything - airbags, climate control, instruments, auto transmission etc. I've yet to see a consumer generic reader that will.

If you are struggling with the VIDA setup then consider buying a laptop/ DICE package that is already setup. The software isn't flakey, it's a high-end commercial program that requires SQL database server and a webserver- when you run VIDA you actually are browsing webpages hosted locally. It's like anything technical - easy when you know how.

As Volvo owners we are very lucky to be able to obtain and use the dealer level software so cheaply.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 18:25   #10
Derek Oliver

Like ps40v I bought Vida Dice some time ago plus an XP laptop but just couldn't get it install.

Our 2007 C30 2 L Diesel is currently hors-de-combat and being out in the wilds of Lincolnshire there is no possibility of getting it anywhere to have the codes read.

So is there anyone with a working set up who would be willing to bring it here to have a session for me? We are roughly mid way between Sleaford and Boston and I will be happy to pay for your time and travel. 01526 860111 / dandmoliver2@talktalk.net

Derek --AKA frustrated of South Kyme !!

New to Volvo - 07 C30 2.0 L D
1972 MGB GT big boy's toy
Derek Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote