Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diagnostic tool for Volvo

Views : 20441

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:33   #11
NorthantsPete

sorry to bounce such an old thread but I was looking at one of these for £60 as it seems already ,the gremlins are in force with the new v70. Luckily its in warranty atm but once it goes out im on my own
Im IT technical, so no issues here - what is:

a) the deal with Vida Dice? is there a setup guide/ info? Ive seen software on ebay but also you'll need some connectors?
b) will the DS100 read ALL my codes?
c) chinese - they done one that reads apparently everyhting, is this any good?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iCarsoft-...752.m1982#rwid

Not looking to control much just read ALL codes, like airbags, sensors etc. so i can point mechanic int he right direction or DIY if easy
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 12:20   #12
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Hi

To use Vida (software) you need DiCE unit. Thats the ultimate combo that will allow you to do literally anything from the laptop, from reading/clearing the codes to program some functions in and run tests that no other reader will allow you to do. Ebay units are usually ok, those come with software+instruction, I am using one myself, but installing them on laptop is a bit of a challenge if you are not good with computers. Other option is to get a ready-to-go package from one of the users here (check "for sale" section) where you will get tablet and Dice configured together and pre-checked.
Any other option (external reader) will only show you codes and you will still have no 100% confirmation its showing everything. Also it may show some generic codes that can be misdiagnosed. But is the cheapest and plug&play option.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 13:59   #13
NorthantsPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Hi

To use Vida (software) you need DiCE unit. Thats the ultimate combo that will allow you to do literally anything from the laptop, from reading/clearing the codes to program some functions in and run tests that no other reader will allow you to do. Ebay units are usually ok, those come with software+instruction, I am using one myself, but installing them on laptop is a bit of a challenge if you are not good with computers. Other option is to get a ready-to-go package from one of the users here (check "for sale" section) where you will get tablet and Dice configured together and pre-checked.
Any other option (external reader) will only show you codes and you will still have no 100% confirmation its showing everything. Also it may show some generic codes that can be misdiagnosed. But is the cheapest and plug&play option.

Thanks for the info, thanks for filling in my ignorance

So ive looked and theres a vida DiCE 2014 for £55 on ebay for windows 7 - might try and get it working in a windows 7 virtual machine on my laptop, give it 3gb ram and access to the usb socket.

sounds good? are these copies/fakes?

Last edited by NorthantsPete; Apr 18th, 2018 at 14:02.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 14:20   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthantsPete View Post
Dice as used in a main dealer are upwards of £1000 even when second hand so if you're only paying £50-100, make of it what you will.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 16:35   #15
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthantsPete View Post
Thanks for the info, thanks for filling in my ignorance

So ive looked and theres a vida DiCE 2014 for £55 on ebay for windows 7 - might try and get it working in a windows 7 virtual machine on my laptop, give it 3gb ram and access to the usb socket.

As said by cheshired5 it is ofcourse a chinese clone, but most of them works just as OEM one, including when flashing tune map for ECU etc so unless you get a botched version you should be fine. From what you are saying it seem that you are computer literate so its defo worth a shot. I had spare laptop laying around so used it and configured whole OS for that purpose only, but VM should work as well. Just follow instructions that you should be given with software and see few tutorials on YT when it trouble.
defo worth it, once you get it running its a great tool (and you will also giggle when activating sprinklers or horn using laptop&mouse
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 21:24   #16
NorthantsPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
defo worth it, once you get it running its a great tool (and you will also giggle when activating sprinklers or horn using laptop&mouse

You see that gets me excited, geeky pleasures eh.

Yes, Im a third line senior engineer so the IT bit isnt really an issue

Thanks all for help, Ill take a look as im keen on reading the logs already
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 12:45   #17
w068720

Default costs

Apologies for jumping in here, but just a quick question about costs, does it cost anything to use the software and keep it up to date and are some of the functions chargable, I read somewhere that there was a cost of you wanted to update a module software? I was looking at an autel mk808bt, but not sure it would do all the things that Vida/Dice would do, there is also an annual charge to keep the 808 up to date..

Thanks
w068720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 23:04   #18
daniel84uk

£60 for an adaptor and the VIDA software is "free" and will run on a cheapo laptop. It can do everything and more than the generic devices can. Some functions are still dealer only though, that applies to both.
daniel84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 02:07   #19
Bashy
Aged Member

Be careful, some sellers of Vida on eBay come with SQL issues and cannot use the parts directory as intended, my 2014 wont browse the parts, it may work when searching and may not, depends how it feels.

My 2011 version works for the most part but can also popup with SQL issues.

Both using Win 7 on a virtual machine, using the max allowed memory at 11gb, and 4 cpus.

Oh and neither seem to copy and paste from VM to main lappy or vice versa but obviously that's not a Vida issue...
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 23:53   #20
daniel84uk

No doubt quiet a few have issues

For reference. Im using 2014d flawlessly. Twice.

Once as a VM, installed from scratch.
Windows 7 32bit(iirc) VM oracle, Below minimum ram too, single line of text in a config file to do this.

And natively on an old i3 lappy Windows 7 32bit(iirc). Again below minimum ram

Its very easy to setup, but bare in mind im a software developer geek. I realise even small things are hard if you are not computer literate.

Last edited by daniel84uk; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 00:01.
daniel84uk is offline   Reply With Quote