Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Screeching noise XC60

Views : 9950

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2018, 16:50   #41
Deadloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
As expected, I suffered this intermittent screeching noise from RH and occasionally LH wheels at 11k miles exactly as everyone described. Took my car back to Marshall Cambridge, workshop manager investigated and confirmed the front hub seals at fault. It seems the original seals had been fitted at a slight angle to the hub face causing noise when rubbing/catching on rotating part. Both seals were replaced without any hassle within a few hours. Very pleased with their response.
Good to hear some positive feedback from someone with the issue.
I've had no issues so far since they were replaced.

David.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 14:43   #42
Hilton
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadloak View Post
Good to hear some positive feedback from someone with the issue.
I've had no issues so far since they were replaced.

David.
Given what the dealer explained, I'm expecting this is a one-off fix.

Chris
Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 21:13   #43
Richy Clark

Talking Mine now fixed

I finally decided to speed things up by jacking up the front of the car to see if I could see what was going on. Thankfully I could see the seal on the rear of the offside hub rotating in the hub when rotating the wheel. On the near side wheel it doesn’t rotate. I videoed this with the mobile phone and emailed to the local Slough garage and booked the car in. They have now changed the seals on both sides and now after a month the sound has not returned. If someone can explain how to upload the videos I will do so.

Richard

MY20 V90 T4 R-Design
Richy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 21:38   #44
Richy Clark

Default Video of rotating Seal causing noise

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Rm_xwRpzczs[/YOUTUBE]

And video of the good seal

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/4ngtZAsedMo[/YOUTUBE]

Richard

MY20 V90 T4 R-Design

Last edited by Richy Clark; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 21:59. Reason: Added second video
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 21:42   #45
whiten
Volvofaithful

This is interesting. My 2017 XC60 D4 did this few times over the last few months but more so in cold damp weather and only on the first 5-10 mins of driving.

I haven’t heard it if I’m honest at all lately, so question is do I leave it and assume it’s sorted itself out, or will it be doing unknown damage without me knowing?
2004 E3 S60 D5 SE facelift with prem pack | V40 1.8 SE | 360 GLT Plus a few other 360’s, 240 GLT & 740 GLT
whiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 21:43   #46
Richy Clark

Default Good seal

Video deleted

Richard

MY20 V90 T4 R-Design

Last edited by Richy Clark; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 22:01. Reason: Deleted
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 21:51   #47
Richy Clark

Whiten, the noise only appeared on mine in damp conditions.

Richard

MY20 V90 T4 R-Design
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 18:48   #48
whiten
Volvofaithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Clark View Post
Whiten, the noise only appeared on mine in damp conditions.
Hey, guess what? It happened again this morning, first time I’ve noticed it in a while ( prob due to the HK stereo upgrade lol ). It was a damp morning too, just like you said.

It was pretty noisy and lasted a good 20 mins into my 30 min journey. I popped it in neutral to test it and it sounded exactly the same, definitely changes tone with speed (higher speed = higher pitched whine).

Called my local volvo MD in Havant, and service manager said it does sound like drive shaft seals not seated fully, and yes this can be sorted under warranty in around 1-1.5 hrs. They replace with a modified / correctly seated seal apparently.

He said he could count on one hand the number of xc60’s he has seen with this issue, and although volvo are aware of it, they are not recalling vehicles (yet) or changing seals if just coming in for a service- like mine just has. I think volvo are just hoping this is a small isolated issue and will go away.

I did ask if left would the noise/fouling cause damage or premature wear on certain components but he said no, and if the mechanics can’t hear it when I bring it in then they may not even change the seals at all. A bit like ‘if you can’t hear it don’t worry it must fine’ sort of thing. It certainly doesn’t sound healthy.

It all sounds a bit rubbish to me from Volvo, as I’ll bet there is a TSB on this issue from volvo HQ. I also wonder if they are doing this work on vehicles out of warranty?? Anyone know?
2004 E3 S60 D5 SE facelift with prem pack | V40 1.8 SE | 360 GLT Plus a few other 360’s, 240 GLT & 740 GLT

Last edited by whiten; Apr 24th, 2018 at 21:28.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 12:20   #49
Hewison

My xc60 is in at Volvo today for same noise tec said drive shaft boot awaiting report
Hewison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 13:08   #50
whiten
Volvofaithful

Let me know how you get on. I left mine making a noise as it didn’t really bother me after a while. But it’s been going on for a year so I’m taking it in for service next month and I’ll ask them to fix it (under warranty I’m assuming). However they did tell me that they will only fix it if it’s making a noise when they have it. When I said it normally happens first thing in the morning especially when wet, they said they would need it in overnight. I wonder if it’s both sides and if not does anyone know if they replace both sides?

Bit of a faff though....