Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rse problem

Views : 3117

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2018, 21:03   #21
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
Swiss has showed me where the ras module is located was seeing if anyone has ever removed one I am guessing the cup holders have to come off but not sure any advice welcome if anyone has done it before thanks again.
The center console comes out very easily
It is normally a removable part held in by one catch at the rear, unless the RSE is fitted.
When the RSE is fitted, the lower catch has a banking plate and the center console is held in with 2 x screws, one each side at the rear.
Loosen the screws, press in the catches, and slide backwards.

VIDA says:
Control module rear sound separation, replacing
Note! The illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and/or models. Some variation may occur. However, the essential information in the illustrations is always correct.

Removal
Removing center tunnel console
Remove the arm rest at the center console according to the following three alternatives:
Alt 1 Release handle at the arm rest's lower rear edge, pull backwards.
Alt 2 Remove the 2 x screws (1). Press in the catches (2), pull backwards.
Alt 3 Remove the 2 x covers (2). Remove the 2 x screws (1), pull backwards.

(you have Alt. 2 or 3)

Remove the rear center console acc. to: Center console, replacing .

Removing rear sound separation module, vehicles without cooler

Remove:
the 4 screws
the connector, x1
the control module.

Much easier with pictures of course.
Unplug the connectors and you can remove the entire console
Once upside down you will see the RAS.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 21:15   #22
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks again for that Swiss will have a look tomorrow weather permitting but will definitely try the contact cleaner first.

I will check the vin number as well when it’s light to see which module I have and get some prices but doing a search there don’t seem to be too many about so maybe the repair route is the way forward.

Thanks again

Daniel
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 21:19   #23
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The more I look at the RAS, the more convinced I am that it is a simple relay box.
I've just been browsing pictures of it on the web (google the part number to find pictures)

Disassembling it to look inside will be very easy
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 21:58   #24
Danielpsmith
Master Member

It looks like an amp,you can hear relays in it when you press the speaker button I’m not the most confident when it comes to electrics but tempted to have ago if I can get it out.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 17:39   #25
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Sorry for the late reply by response I’ve only got round to having a look today,
Managed to get the ras module out and pull it apart it’s only a circuit board with a big plug at the end so not much to see, so it could be faulty but without testing it no real way of knowing.

So spoke to Volvo to price up a new £246 all in which is a lot more than what I was expecting, wouldn’t be as bad if I knew that was 100% the problem, so may look into getting it tested/repaired so will keep you posted.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 19:27   #26
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Post a photo, I'll recognise what it does from the fitted components and can tell you what to do
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 20:05   #27
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks for that Swiss it’s back in at the moment but will take it out over the weekend and take lots of photos and post them thanks again

Daniel
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:34   #28
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Hi sorry having a nightmare trying to upload photos not sure if this works https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1524475795
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 15509B94-FED3-4C2C-8241-8FE4E23F8B32.jpeg (29.9 KB, 16 views)
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:35   #29
Danielpsmith
Master Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1524476136
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6FE46864-8926-4374-BCF8-B412CBC793B8.jpg (58.4 KB, 9 views)
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 15:38   #30
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
Hi sorry having a nightmare trying to upload photos not sure if this works https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1524475795
It's an audio amplifier and relay box in one.
The two relays are clearly visible.
The power supply filter components (coil and filter capacitor) are clearly visible.
The audio amplifier chip is visible bolted to the heatsink.
Easy to test and repair by a good electronics shop, the circuitry is very simple.

If you are suffering crackling / distorted audio, it is likely the audio amplifier chip has failed, but best checked with an oscilloscope during failure conditions.

There's also the potential for burnt/corroded relay contacts, and possible dry joints on the relay.

An alternative is a 2nd hand unit from a wreckers.
These devices are NOT programmable and can be moved from one vehicle to another without any issues.