Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adding a sub?

Views : 845

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2018, 09:01   #1
aland

Default Adding a sub?

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a sub to a car that didn't previously have one, by fitting it (with it's amp) and connecting the fiber to the MOST network, or does the car also need programming to tell it it's there?
I have VIDA...
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 09:46   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Yes you can, easily, PROVIDED the car is supported by the Volvo software, and provided you do not have Rear AC (3rd row AC) fitted.

Volvo stopped adding subs to the XC90 from MY2009.
So the MY2009 and newer XC90s no longer support the sub in the radio software.

The Rear AC and the Subwoofer occupy the same space, you have one or the other but not both.

What model XC90 do you have?
Do you have Rear AC?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 09:46   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

I'm looking at doing this whilst I have the cargo panels out anyway and from what I can tell, on the model year I have (2007) it is a case of exactly that - connect the optical input to the MOST network and connecting power to fuse way 14 in the REM.

It appears to be a slightly more complicated undertaking in early models (-2004), with additional wiring required.

In all cases, it requires the subwoofer software to be installed, which can only be done by a dealer or independent with a fully subscribed copy of VIDA.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moose Test For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 09:50   #4
aland

Thanks. My car is a 2008 without rear AC.
I noticed a sub+amp from a 2004 on ebay - however I expect Volvo would charge as much again for the software change!
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 10:02   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
Thanks. My car is a 2008 without rear AC.
I noticed a sub+amp from a 2004 on ebay - however I expect Volvo would charge as much again for the software change!
A 2008 should be OK, refer to my subwoofer explorations in my post:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ight=subwoofer

MY2008 was the last year that the subwoofer was available as an option.
From MY2009, Volvo decided to omit the subwoofer.

Check the VIDA online pricelists in the USA to get a feeling of the software charges. They can be modest.

Without loading the SUB option to the car, the Sub will not work and the stereo's subwoofer option will not appear.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 10:09   #6
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
I noticed a sub+amp from a 2004 on ebay
Ditto. There seem to be a few available but they're all from around that age group. The concern I have is that somehow the core firmware in the amp/control module of the older model year subwoofers will have some incompatibility with the MOST or IAM in newer cars.

Has anyone on the forum ever successfully done this? Retro-fitted a sub from an older model year into a newer one?
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 10:35   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
I noticed a sub+amp from a 2004 on ebay
I have a spare SUB. You can have it for a nominal price +postage.

20180409_102958.jpg
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 20:48   #8
Moose Test
Master Member

I have been advised by two Volvo main dealers that it is not possible for them to install the SUB software for use in conjunction with a second hand subwoofer module, on the grounds that a such a unit "can be programed only once, whilst 'clean' from the factory". Allegedly , once it has been fitted to one vehicle, it cannot be successfully transferred to another, programming or not. At least, this is what I am being told.

So unless anyone here knows otherwise, that is it for me with regards to fitting an eBay supplied sub.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 08:27   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
I have been advised by two Volvo main dealers that it is not possible for them to install the SUB software for use in conjunction with a second hand subwoofer module, on the grounds that a such a unit "can be programed only once, whilst 'clean' from the factory". Allegedly , once it has been fitted to one vehicle, it cannot be successfully transferred to another, programming or not. At least, this is what I am being told.

So unless anyone here knows otherwise, that is it for me with regards to fitting an eBay supplied sub.
Yeah that's pretty standard. You need to "virginise" the device first so that the Volvo software thinks it is new.

Some companies now make "virginising" tools to refresh devices, but I've never seen one for Volvo.

The radio (IAM) and by default CEM definitely needs the sub option enabled
I am however unsure if the sub needs to be virginised.
It would be a case of try and see.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: