Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre sidewall wear

Views : 831

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2018, 13:24   #1
richhodgetts

Default Tyre sidewall wear

I have just taken the front left off my V60 to change discs and pads and was shocked to find that the tyre is so worn where tread meets sidewall that the steel reinforcement was exposed with some pretty major splits. I am amazed that this tyre had not let go with the amount of damage.

Tyre fitter reckons it's suspension damage although I can't see where the tyre has been rubbing.

Has anyone had a similar issue with a V60?

Cheers,

Rich
richhodgetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 16:01   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richhodgetts View Post
I have just taken the front left off my V60 to change discs and pads and was shocked to find that the tyre is so worn where tread meets sidewall that the steel reinforcement was exposed with some pretty major splits. I am amazed that this tyre had not let go with the amount of damage.

Tyre fitter reckons it's suspension damage although I can't see where the tyre has been rubbing.

Has anyone had a similar issue with a V60?

Cheers,

Rich
have you been running with tyre pressures below 35 psi for long? I would say 38 psi will double your tyre life compared to running them at 30 psi . ( which the great majority seem to gravitate to ) .
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 18:26   #3
MacV50
Master Member

Had similar on our V50 and it was sorted by a decent (Hunter) wheel alignment
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:24   #4
miketemple123

My V60 was 3 years old and had 3 sets of front tyres down to the carcass on the inside edge of both tyres - should have checked the service receipts a little more carefully. This proved to be the n/s balljoint which must have been faulty from new. Got Volvo to agree to £100 towards replacement, but the whole lower arm has to be changed as the b/j is not removable. It was identified by laser 4 wheel alignment at a non-Volvo garage and they found they were unable to set it up due to the slack in the balljoint.
Since then, no further problems with tyre wear and 20+k per set. Would recommend you have it done asap. Around £80 to check and probably another £60-80 to adjust

V60 auto SE lux 2012
miketemple123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:33   #5
richhodgetts

Mike - could you feel any slack in the wheel before the ball joint was diagnosed?

I changed the discs and pads this afternoon after getting the tyre sorted and I couldn't feel any play at all with the wheel off the ground but then I am no expert. Both front discs required some violence to get them off and the hub seemed rock solid throughout.

The other front tyre was perfect and so it doesn't sound exactly the same as yours - bottom line is I think it needs to go to someone who knows what they are doing (rather than a total amateur with a decent tool kit like myself)!

Thanks for the replies all.

Rich

Last edited by richhodgetts; Apr 14th, 2018 at 20:41.
richhodgetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 20:47   #6
miketemple123

Hi Rich - no there was no indication that there was a problem. It even went through an MOT IIRC, but the play was enough to stop laser alignment. They did tracking when the tyres were fitted, but the settings had changed when checked later. So it would seem even a very small amount of play would cause the issue.
Hope you manage to sort it out

Cheers
Mike
miketemple123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 08:01   #7
benr7310
Master Member

My s40 had this a while back and turned out to be the large rear bushing on the front wishbone.

It is worth inspecting the wishbone for bushing/balljoint damage and also worth always run at 38psi.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 19:00   #8
RSVolvo

I had a very similar problem on my last car a S60. Rather than repeat it all again have a look at this thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=245355
2005-2010: S40 2.0D S, Flint Grey
RSVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote