Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Start/Stop and Hill Start Assist

Views : 2410

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 12:51   #1
Stevepvolvo

Default XC60 Start/Stop and Hill Start Assist

Dear Members
I have an MY2016 XC60 Auto with start/stop. My braking method is progressive braking and I have noticed that the engine stops before the vehicle is stationary. I do not have an ECO button that on some models states that with this button on then the engine may cut out before the vehicle is stationary. By itself that would not be a concern. However, I have noticed that the Hill Start Assist function that should maintain braking for up to 2 secs when the engine is off to allow the driver to transfer their foot from the brake to the accelerator, does not always activate and on hills I start to roll backwards until the engine restarts. I know the HSA does work as if I stop abruptly then it activates. I have contacted Volvo support and they have provided a detailed explanation of the Hill Start Assist (HSA) function and it clearly states that the engine must be running when the brakes are applied, and the vehicle comes to a complete standstill.
My question to the members is whether others with the same vehicle have experienced the engine in start/stop mode cutting out whilst still braking resulting in “coasting”. If not it may be that the speed sensor for the engine cut-off is incorrect as I have not found any other setting that would change the behaviour of the stop speed such as an ECO button.
Your observations appreciated
Steve
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 13:21   #2
PJordan

It is exactly as you describe on MY2017 XC60 also. I always turn off the start/stop function now because of this as I prefer to have a solid HSA at all times. Guessing this is normal behaviour for the system and do not see it as a fault as such.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 13:45   #3
Rex65

HSA is the same random operation on mine too but mine is a manual.
I don't have the stalling issue and my Eco setting is controlled through the vehicle settings touch screen, not from a button or switch on dash.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 14:08   #4
Stevepvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJordan View Post
It is exactly as you describe on MY2017 XC60 also. I always turn off the start/stop function now because of this as I prefer to have a solid HSA at all times. Guessing this is normal behaviour for the system and do not see it as a fault as such.
Hi - thanks for the confirmation that I don't have an "issue". Just seems a shame that I have started switching off stop/start due to the HSA issue as the jams on the way home are long slow and on hills. The system is great in theory and helps reduce noise and emissions and I would use all the time if only it sensed that the speed was 0 mph before turning off engine
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 14:11   #5
humming

My XC60 behaves the same way.

I find it a bit disconcerting at times, because the steering locks up when the engine is not running, and find myself slowly coasting without steering.

Very noticable in heavy traffic on a slight downward slope when the stop/start has stopped the engine.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 14:14   #6
Stevepvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
HSA is the same random operation on mine too but mine is a manual.
I don't have the stalling issue and my Eco setting is controlled through the vehicle settings touch screen, not from a button or switch on dash.
hi - interesting as I haven't noticed an eco setting but I don't have a touch screen so maybe the models changed? I will have another look just in case in the car settings menu. I did wonder if the Theme settings affected car systems as I always keep mine on the eco theme but cant find any mention but may give that a go out of curiosity as I do sometimes find Volvo don't overly document all features. Once you ask Volvo though as I did re HSA I got a 4 page document back! Shame there isn't a reference source for those of us who want the full details but I feel that there is so much now software driven that the manual would probably be thousands of pages long and in techy speak
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 14:18   #7
Stevepvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming View Post
My XC60 behaves the same way.

I find it a bit disconcerting at times, because the steering locks up when the engine is not running, and find myself slowly coasting without steering.

Very noticable in heavy traffic on a slight downward slope when the stop/start has stopped the engine.
Thanks definitely standard then as three of us with this behaviour! I do agree it is disconcerting when the steering doesn't move as my car slowly coasts following down hill slow moving traffic. I have wondered how long the brake server remains charged with the engine off as you may suddenly find the brakes don't brake anymore. I usually baulk at this point and press off the stop/start so I guarantee my brakes will do their job in long slow downhill traffic
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 14:25   #8
Rex65

Themes are just purely visual, they don't change any vehicle parameters.
I'll have a look later for the location of the Eco setting on mine unless you find it before I do.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 14:28   #9
Stevepvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
Themes are just purely visual, they don't change any vehicle parameters.
I'll have a look later for the location of the Eco setting on mine unless you find it before I do.
Yep that's what I understood - would be grateful if you can let me know later if you have a chance to look where the eco setting is as I am not aware of it but may just be missing it as there are sooooo many options
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 19:09   #10
Rex65

I had a quick look but I can't seem to find the setting now, weird!
I'll look again but I did have a software update at a recent service, so wonder if it's been deleted now?