Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECU Issues

Views : 652

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2011, 22:45   #1
Uk Saint

Default ECU Issues

Hey guys

I have mentioned in other posts on here the car I have put a deposit on recently but I still haven't been able to take delivery.

It's a V50 2.0D SE (non DPF ) and was flagging a SRS Airbag Service Urgent message. After doing some Sherlock Holmes work and managing to speak to the previous owner, he told me that Volvo had read the fault codes for him the week he traded it in (as he didn't want his pants pulled down over the price) and they diagnosed a faulty ECU.
They quoted him £400 to replace but he didn't have the work done as it was going anyway.
Long story short, I put a deposit on it with the condition that the SRS fault was remedied. I told them what the previous owner told me about the ECU and they stated they would have it repaired and not worry as they would make sure it was done properly.

To my knowledge they have sent it away to a company to be repaired but I am a little concerned that this could just be a patching job and they hope a reflash will get it off the forecourt. Is this a realistic possibility?

My concern may be warranted too as I have been fed differing lines from the dealer (non Volvo) since whenever I have called to enquire about a possible delivery date.
I was under the impression that anything to do with the SRS system or ECU had to be a Volvo job as it requires special diagnostics kit etc?

Any help or advice that anyone could offer would be a great help as I sense something is not quite right.
I would walk away from it but the price for the car is a really good deal personally and I think I would struggle to match it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
Uk Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 01:29   #2
redguy

If it's too good to be then it is: not worth the headache In the long run
redguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 01:31   #3
redguy

Oh ask for receipts if it's been to Volvo dealers get it checked
redguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 09:58   #4
kebab10
Premier Member

Find another would be my advice. You doont want a boge that will bite you in the ass later. Walk away, there are others.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 10:39   #5
Uk Saint

Appreciate your comments guys. I would be interested to find out if it can actually be bodged before talking about walking away. And like I said, the deal is very good for me personally.
Uk Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 12:22   #6
kebab10
Premier Member

If you are determined to get this car, get someone independent to give it the once over and get the agreement of the seller to the report. So, if the sh1t hits the fan, then you will at least have some comeback. Or, find another.

When I set out to find a V50, one really tickled my fancy, but it had a few "strange" things with it so left it. Another was great but the attitude of the salesman killed the sale. I am a fussy old bloke apparently.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote