Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can cracked alloys be repaired?

Views : 1289

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2011, 14:23   #11
iantowil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
To be fair to Volvo, you're referring to Volvo UK, who are a law unto themselves, it seems, and are less than helpful on many issues.

T
Absolutely, Volvo UK are a disgrace - But who controls Volvo UK. Who put the people in place at Volvo UK?

Volvo build nice cars - you don't mind small issues as long as they try and help - Volvo UK DON'T! They sound p....ed off just saying "Hello", and that's before you've even asked them about anything.

Just for anyone reading this thinking about by a Volvo Selekt car - read the warranty info - it seams the exclusion list is EXTENSIVE!
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 17:23   #12
michyplonks

I think the most annoying thing is there is obviously a problem with the C70 wheels and with the unique offset they have a captured market when it comes to replacement, so what do they do? Make it their most expensive wheel!
michyplonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 17:50   #13
iantowil

Maybe worth asking Volvo on their protocol for deciding between damage and a manufacturing problem - wheel failure could mean life or death, so I can only assume they would "welcome" someone coming to them with such an issue - they should be biting your arm off to get hold of the wheel and get a failure metallurgist to examine it - of course they said "go away". If you're convinced there has been no damage and the wheel condition shows this to be the case, take it further - they are on dodgy ground if they don't even look at it.
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 19:03   #14
michyplonks

In all fairness, the first time it happened I found a slight flatspot in the wheel (and I mean really slight) about 10 inches from the crack, but this time on another wheel there is absolutely no evidence of any kerbing, flatspots or any other damage except for two cracks about 12 inches apart.

I bet you any money that when I go for the next sevice Volvo tell me that my newest wheel is out of true, even though it has not been down any potholes, but how do you prove it?

I now know of many cases where new C70's have had all four wheels replaced at between 17000 and 22000 miles, and then again after another 20 or so thousand miles. The problem is not just confined to the UK so it kind of waters the problem down locally. That is why Volvo dealers just shrug their shoulders.

Surely its a case of supplied goods not fit for purpose.

Maybe a letter or phonecall to Watchdog would do the trick........

Last edited by michyplonks; Oct 8th, 2011 at 19:09.
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 21:19   #15
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantowil View Post
Absolutely, Volvo UK are a disgrace - But who controls Volvo UK. Who put the people in place at Volvo UK?

Volvo build nice cars - you don't mind small issues as long as they try and help - Volvo UK DON'T! They sound p....ed off just saying "Hello", and that's before you've even asked them about anything.

Just for anyone reading this thinking about by a Volvo Selekt car - read the warranty info - it seams the exclusion list is EXTENSIVE!
Fair point.

The feeling I get having talked to them, is this:
1. If you're buying a new car from us, GREAT!!

2. If you want to know anything about "that old **** we used to make" forget it.

3. If you want some help 'cause you're car has gone wrong, "Try speaking to Gothenburg, 'cause we just don't have the time or resources"

Some of that is my interpretation, some of it actual feedback - the resources thing; but it's a general feeling they give you anyway that makes you wonder if head office actually know how they treat customers new or especially old - as it's us that keep their doors open during the bad times.

Regarding the wheel problems, I think Michy may have hit on something; potentially sub-standard; though if they're still coming form the same makers, like BBS, etc. then they also make wheels for MB and BMW, etc, so the question is do they have the same problem?

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Oct 8th, 2011 at 21:24.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 22:16   #16
michyplonks

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think MB and BMW both had the same issue but after group pressure they did the right thing and admitted liability.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 01:19   #17
iantowil

T240 - you're right on all counts! They're great when there is thousands of pounds of profit - not so keen to see you come back through the door 5 minutes later with an issue.

Michy, keep plugging away. Certainly try Watchdog. And ask Volvo UK how they can say there is no manufacturing fault without inspection. I work in the metals industry, and castings can always have faults - the plant I work in has its own "Plant Metallurgy" department just to investigate these types of failures. Good job the aircraft industry doesn't put every failure down to human error, or God's Will.