Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuse in 850 Air Con System and Cooling Fan Stays On

Views : 248

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2021, 19:33   #1
hal9000f

Default Fuse in 850 Air Con System and Cooling Fan Stays On

Hi all,

luckily the Air Con works great, but I am trying to solve the cooling fan "always on in low speed" problem.

I'd like to completely turn off the Air Con to be sure it is not ON in any way and turning the cooling fan on and keeping it on forever while the engine is on.

I have searched through VADIS everywhere, and google didn't help either...

So, is there a fuse in an 850 Air Con System?

I know about the A/C relay behind the glove box, and the A/C pressure sensor and the pressure switch (pressostat)...

Is there anything else?

It's a great looking and driving 855 TDI with Manual A/C.

To solve the cooling fan problem I have checked:

- tried 3 fan relays
- tried 3 ECT sensors
- checked and cleaned all the connectors and ground
- tested the fan itself in low and highs speed
- tried disconnecting A/C pressure sensor and the pressure switch
- pulled the ECU out and checked the pins and cleaed them
- checked the temperature with Xiaotec App

When not using the A/C Cooling fan comes on in low speed only when the temperature gets to 87 C and it happens only when in city traffic or driving uphill. Temperature was never above 88 C. And then the fan stays always on even when the temperature falls to 82 C. It never fell below, it was a hot summer here. So I don't know at what temperature the fan is supposed to turn off.

When I turn off the engine, the fan shuts down, and when the engine is immediatley started again, the fan does not come on (until the temp reaches 87 C).

Does anybody know the 850 TDI temperature which should turn off the cooling fan? is it 81 or 80 C or even less?

So, please any help is welcome :-)

Thanks in advance :-)

hal9000f
hal9000f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 22:08   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I believe that the fan is supposed to run continuously when the AC is on - just wanted to check that you know that, to make sure you're not chasing a fault that isn't actually a fault? With AC off, it should only run when the coolant temp reaches a certain level, as you mention.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 09:03   #3
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
I believe that the fan is supposed to run continuously when the AC is on - just wanted to check that you know that, to make sure you're not chasing a fault that isn't actually a fault? With AC off, it should only run when the coolant temp reaches a certain level, as you mention.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I know about fan running continuously (in low speed) when the AC is on.

This started to happen a while ago when my MANUAL AC is OFF,

I have this car for 16 years now, and I am sure that (when the AC was off) when temperature trigerrs the cooling fan it was always coming on in HIGH speed, ran for about two minutes, and then turn off.

But now, in the same circumstances it starts in LOW speed (instead of HIGH) and stays on until I shut down the engine.

I suspect the AC is the culprit, because when we ran the diagnostics, it showed that the AC is ON, but it was OFF. The clutch was not engaged.

That is why I am looking if there is a fuse somewhere, or if the AC relay is stuck or something...

Thanks again.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 10:59   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Ah, right, understood - thanks.

Only thing I can think of is that there may be some electronics getting confused somewhere - if it were me I'd disconnect the battery, leave it for 10-20 minutes and reconnect and see if the fault is still there (in other words a full power-off and power-on reset of all the electrics). Make sure you've got the radio code before you do this of course.

This has worked for me on a few occasions when I've had odd faults with electronically controlled systems, it's free and easy so probably worth a try?
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 11:23   #5
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Ah, right, understood - thanks.

Only thing I can think of is that there may be some electronics getting confused somewhere - if it were me I'd disconnect the battery, leave it for 10-20 minutes and reconnect and see if the fault is still there........try?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I have tried that 3 times. Twice overnight and once when inspecting and cleaning the ECU. I have even tried the ECU relearn procedure after powering it back on.

http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/8...rn-procedures/

Yes, I also believe this is some kind of electronic gremlin, that is why I have also cleaned everything I could with contact cleaner and inspected the wires.

In the beginning I also had the following Diagnostic Trouble Code reappearing:

"EFI 514: Engine Coolant Fan, low speed signal"

Strangely enough, it didn't reappear for days, but the problem still remains.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 11:33   #6
Pupbelly

Could it be something as simple as a dodgy earth somewhere either not earthing properly or something that has gone to earth creating power to the fan?

Quite how you'd find this of course is a different matter but just my two penneth!
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 12:47   #7
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Could it be something as simple as a dodgy earth somewhere either not earthing properly or something that has gone to earth creating power to the fan?

Quite how you'd find this of course is a different matter but just my two penneth!

Thanks.

Yes, that is what I also suspect. I have already checked the fan ground, and the "overall" car and engine ground, and it's all fine.

But, I couldn't and didn't check the possible dodgy ground of the 2 wires which go from the ECU to the Fan Relay. Those 2 wires are for LOW and HIGH fan speed.

And I was hoping that it's not a problem cause it's PITA to check :-(

Would like to remove the fuse for A/C to rule that out, but it seems there is no fuse in the A/C system... Is that possible?

I will try to remove the A/C relay this weekend if I have time.

Thanks.