Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy coolant pump

Views : 593

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2023, 10:03   #1
morsing
Premier Member

Default Noisy coolant pump

Good morning,

Is it normal for coolant pumps on the B230E to be noisy? I replaced mine ten years ago, because of noise, with a new looking one (but was it?) that came with the car when I bought it. Exactly the same noise.

I now have a loud, intermittent squealing from somewhere, and I think it is the cooland pump. I can also hear a clacking noise.

Question though, there is a little hole on the side where you can see the bearing inside, am I meant to lubricate this? I have done, but have not found anything official about this.

Also, there was a black plastic think on the underside of the old pump, but couldn't figure out the purpose of it.

Regards,
Henrik Morsing
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 12:00   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The pump should not be noisy

The black plastic suggests its an original pump, the hole behind it is to release any coolant that leaks into the pump

New water pumps from Volvo are not what they used to be but just a cheap poorly made item
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 16:06   #3
S40T3
Where does that bit go?

The squealing might be the belts slipping. I had constant problems with this on my 89 GLT. I fitted wider belts, which only just had enough adjustment to get them on, but solved the squealing problem completely.
S40T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 16:28   #4
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40T3 View Post
The squealing might be the belts slipping. I had constant problems with this on my 89 GLT. I fitted wider belts, which only just had enough adjustment to get them on, but solved the squealing problem completely.
The belts are old and need replacing, I agree, but this squealing is very high pitched and metallic.
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 16:29   #5
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The pump should not be noisy

The black plastic suggests its an original pump, the hole behind it is to release any coolant that leaks into the pump

New water pumps from Volvo are not what they used to be but just a cheap poorly made item
The pump I fitted I was given in 2003.

Googling suggests HEDU pumps are good.
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 09:44   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've had various squealing noises over the years, all simply fixable.

Belts - Give a squirt on the belt with silicone spray while ticking over. If the noise goes, even momentarily, then replace the belt.
Check which belt it is, water pump or power steering pump.
Check you have the correct width belts. They should be 11.9mm, not the 10mm ones often supplied.

Alternator

Squeak from power steering pump

Metalic squeak from water pump caused by pulley rubbing on block. If necessary put washers behind the 4 bolts holding the pulley.

Impeller rubbing on block, caused by gasket too thin. Isolate the pump and turn it by hand.

It is definitely worth lubricating the pump. Try a spray lubricant into the hole, or as I did once fit a grease nipple and force some water pump grease into the bearings.

Is the squealing from an external belt and not the timing belt? Try a squirt of silicone spray.
Timing belt tensioner? I've never needed to replace one. They can be recharged with lubricant by removing and soaking in warm oil for a few hours and then wiping and drying thoroughly.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 09:02   #7
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi Henrik..can you check for play out the bearing using the pulley..May have to loosen belts...and correct me if i"m wrong but could you run the engine for a very short time with the belts off to see if it cures noise and then check for play..I did my water pump this year as it sounded like a bag of spanners..Once new one was replaced it cured the the horrible noise allowing a new noise to take centre stage..alternator bearings!..There was so much play in the pump bearing i think i caught it just in time..Original pump..well made indeed...hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 14:05   #8
morsing
Premier Member

The annoying thing is it is too intermittent.

I am in the process of removing the head, don't know if I dare remove the pump, not having a new gasket and having very bad experiences with the bolts shearing.

Maybe I can spin it by hand still on the block and see what it feels like.

I replace the timing belt tensioner at every belt change, don't think it's that.

Thanks
Old Oct 24th, 2023, 07:39   #9
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi Henrik..if there is any play in the shaft up and down that will be the issue..I didnt mean to remove it..it will be very evident..I had a small weep from the bearing hole underneath but on regular checking it stopped leaking but the leak was the key that the seal and bearing were failing..Cheers hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 09:37   #10
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjoe View Post
Hi Henrik..if there is any play in the shaft up and down that will be the issue..I didnt mean to remove it..it will be very evident..I had a small weep from the bearing hole underneath but on regular checking it stopped leaking but the leak was the key that the seal and bearing were failing..Cheers hj.
Hi,

Noise is getting a bit worse, might be the alternator. Will have to remove the belt and inspect things when I get some time.

Regards,
Henrik Morsing