Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT failure, rear indicator wrong colour.

Views : 4153

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2011, 18:54   #1
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Default MOT failure, rear indicator wrong colour.

Anyone had this before? Had it MOT'd today and was told it passed (and it did) however along with the pass cert, there is also a failure one for both rear indicators which they have changed.

Unfortunately I only just noticed it now as I was in a hurry when I picked it up but must say, it seems odd as it passed with the same bulbs last year. Not sure if they were the original Volvo ones as it was a BT fleet car before I got it.

Perhaps just a little scam to flog a couple of bulbs maybe?
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 19:24   #2
bigbadee

had this a couple of years ago in a citroen(sorry about the language)failed on both front bulbs not orange enougth so bought two bulbs from the garage and fitted them wile on the ramps so nevey left the mot station and still told it had failed on the same bulbs i called the manager and he said and i quote if i buy two new bulbs from him and fit them it would pass at £4.00 each and remember this was 4 years ago and they were only indecator bulbs when told i had already done this he muttered something about faulty bulbs and told the fitter to pass me the same car with the same bulbs is still passing its mot without any problems different mot garage must add its the wife car not mine.
bigbadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 19:40   #3
Uk Saint

I've also had this a couple of years ago. The bulb discolours over time and use until it becomes virtually clear.
As indicators are required to be orange it becomes an MOT failure.
Uk Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 23:43   #4
Bernard46

Yes, the problem is the lens is white so the bulbs have to be orange and the orange paint peels off the bulbs over time so you get failed even though the bulbs work OK - also its a matter of opinion because there really is no objective test of how orange the bulbs are, so you could fail at one garage and not at another! Volvo should fit orange lens and then there would be no problem so long as the bulb worked.
Bernard46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 15:34   #5
Welton
Premier Member

The 'trend' is for clear lenses but Orange lamps inside. The coating flakes away after about 4 years.

I took the liberty of changing my rears before the MOT as I could tell they weren't 'Orangey' enough during my pre-MOT walk round.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 17:37   #6
HEICO SPORTIV
für das Leben

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Initially they told me it had failed at reception, then when the mechanic wrote up my MOT, it had changed to an advisory item.
Off topic: My s40 still failed on 2 further issues, a steering rack gaitor (which they subsequently replaced somehow without removing the wheel) and an "anti-pollution breather pipe" (whatever THAT is) which took literally 2 seconds to re-connect.
Anyone recommend a source online for purchasing the rear indicator bulbs? thanks.
HEICO SPORTIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 18:48   #7
GMad
Premier Member

As above, the amber coating does tend to flake after a while. No biggy to stick your hazzards on, walk around the car and change any lamp that is not showing amber..
I have actually converted all of my indicators to LED now, so hopefully wont suffer with this fail again
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 19:58   #8
Bendolfc
Premier Member

They looked orange enough to me when putting locking it but ho hum. Next time it's going to the council place as it's cheaper anyway and retests are free.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote