Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Water Pump - change or not??

Views : 3173

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2015, 21:27   #1
1tinkerer

Default D5 Water Pump - change or not??

Here's the picture..
2002 S60 D5 with 74k, service history for the most part but no sign of change of Timing belt or Water Pump.

I have just bought the car knowing that it is probably due a belt service, but I am wondering if the Water Pump needs changing too. The belt is knackered and I say this as the back of the belt is cracking and there is a ticking inside the cabin when idling that just happens to be the same frequency as the rotating of the belt... So, the car wont be moving until the belt is changed..

It is on the original belt (I a assuming) as it is a Volvo belt and looks never to be changed.. Question is, should I change the Water Pump?? No strange noises there, but I seen elsewhere that they seem to be good for 300k..

Any advice would be appreciated..

BTW, whilst on the subject, do you really need an inpact gun to remove the centre crank nut?

Cheers..
1tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 21:36   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinkerer View Post
Here's the picture..
2002 S60 D5 with 74k, service history for the most part but no sign of change of Timing belt or Water Pump.

I have just bought the car knowing that it is probably due a belt service, but I am wondering if the Water Pump needs changing too. The belt is knackered and I say this as the back of the belt is cracking and there is a ticking inside the cabin when idling that just happens to be the same frequency as the rotating of the belt... So, the car wont be moving until the belt is changed..

It is on the original belt (I a assuming) as it is a Volvo belt and looks never to be changed.. Question is, should I change the Water Pump?? No strange noises there, but I seen elsewhere that they seem to be good for 300k..

Any advice would be appreciated..

BTW, whilst on the subject, do you really need an inpact gun to remove the centre crank nut?

Cheers..
No you will not need a water pump , better the devil you know ! It has proved itself and has another 96000 to go before you check it for leaks and the smoothness of the bearing ... I have never known one case a problem since this pump was introduced in 1990 in the 960 . Do you think volvo would fit inferior parts when the life of their engine depends on it? You have a water pump of the very best quality available .

You need a crank pulley holding tool , the crank pulley nut must be changed and done up to 300 nm . The 4 stretch bolts in the pulley must be changed and torqued and angle torqued to the correct figures ..
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 22:08   #3
1tinkerer

Hi Clan,
Thanks for the information and thanks for confirming about the water pump.. Question is, where could I get a Holding Tool and is it something my local Sealey or Sykes guy would have?

Thanks..
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 22:21   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi Clan,
Thanks for the information and thanks for confirming about the water pump.. Question is, where could I get a Holding Tool and is it something my local Sealey or Sykes guy would have?

Thanks..
yes possibly they could supply one however i have seen a non volvo one bend like a bannana under 300nm of torque ! The volvo one is 1/2 " thick steel ... and about £25 , the dealer could order you one .
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 22:54   #5
1tinkerer

Is it the case then that the pulley hub has to be held whilst the nut is tightened? I made a tool a few years ago where I got two pieces of flatbar and fixed them together at one end and drilled a couple of holes at the other end to accept 8mm fasteners. It has served me well and I have used this on any belt services I have done for holding the crank. If the holes were opened out to 10mm and the pulley bolts were re-installed into the hub and tightened up, would this not hold? I know we are talking about 300Nm, but am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 10:54   #6
Hasse53

The crankshaft nut is tightened to 300 Nm. But the torque needed to undo the nut after 12 years is probably about 400-500 Nm due to corrosion. This will put strain on the tools used.

I have used a impact wrench to undo the nut, this is easy. But maybe there are risks involved with this, something can get damaged? I do not know, maybe "Clan" knows?

To tighten the nut I have used the method decribed in the Haynes Handbook i.e. to block the wheels(6th gear selected) and using a torque wrench. This is of course not applicable on cars with auto gearboxes.

Any feedback would be preciated!
Hasse53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 11:52   #7
D5meister
Premier Member

I reused the centre nut (30mm across flats) as Volvo did last time. Replace it the corners are rounded or badly corroded.

I tried to undo one time with a 4 foot bar but didnt get enough swing at it and took in it to volvo. Almost all garages will rip this off in 2 secs with a decent rattle gun.

Some hold tool is required to tighten up. It is fairly tight, I had to hold the car and push the torque wrench to a click with my foot/leg.

pulling the starter and using teeth on the flywheel is popular but you need a solid way to do this, i.e. dont put a screwdriver on one tooth of the FW... I recall the volvo mech saying he did this in conjunction with the pulley hold tool!

There may be an approved FW lock for this but I dont know of one.

I used a good quality 600nm electric gun and it flew off in 2 secs. ( no hold reqd) It did however move off the timing marks by a few mm and I had to move it back.

To do up the nut, I used a volvo hold tool slotted in down into the Y end of the wishbone - rather than laterally load up the driveshaft with it. Then torque wrench at 300Nm

So i used a electric rattle, volvo hold tool, decent torque wrench.

I would think the volvo hold tool would take the force from a manual undo.

It does look solid and its heavy ~£35

I used the existing 4 bolts with the hold tool.

The 4 pulley bolts are just 10.9 high tensile bolts with head flange, to mimic a washer.

I reused these with some med loctite and got them as tight as I could using a normal socket ratchet handle.

Last edited by D5meister; Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:13.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:08   #8
D5meister
Premier Member

Quote:
Is it the case then that the pulley hub has to be held whilst the nut is tightened? I made a tool a few years ago where I got two pieces of flatbar and fixed them together at one end and drilled a couple of holes at the other end to accept 8mm fasteners. It has served me well and I have used this on any belt services I have done for holding the crank. If the holes were opened out to 10mm and the pulley bolts were re-installed into the hub and tightened up, would this not hold? I know we are talking about 300Nm, but am I barking up the wrong tree?
Im fairly sure this will work.

The question is how thick is the arm on your tool. This is what may distort.

I would use all 4 bolt holes. Plus a clearance hole to clear the roll pin/tube spring in the pulley - otherwise the tool wont sit flat on the pulley. This leaves some of the bolts unable to be done up fully and they may bend during full load.

Last edited by D5meister; Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:10.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:40   #9
D5meister
Premier Member

some images of my recent swap out of all belt components

the dreaded pulley
pulley off

timing mark thru arch - looks aligned!
mark OFF - looks forward of oil pump reference..
mark OFF the other way looks left of oil pump reference...?

ALL 3 shots are done without moving the pulley... Its parallax error! So DONT do your timing thru the wheel arch!!

Original tensioner indicator - a little off due to cold and belt wear.

View from beneath prior to old belt removal
view from above, same condition

View of Crank timing looking from the front of car - the way to get the Timing Correct - look down the oil pump timing blade.
The adjacent pulley tooth continues the line to the other mark on the pulley boss, - which is a small raised rib

Cam timing, there is a thin short detent in the pulley, I filled with white hammer smooth ( spray some on a small screwdriver blade and knife it into the detent - it capilliaries in.
The detent in the belt cover is a little bigger and that is filled in paint too.

I also painted the tips of the 2 pulley teeth which straddle this painted mark
I also painted a line on the Torx head behind the pulley, just visible below the cam pulley mark..

Last image is the new tensioner indicator post settle in after a couple of crank rotations with a wrench. ( note the style of the indicator has altered now.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1001.jpg (234.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1008.jpg (159.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1010.jpg (215.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1011.jpg (219.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1014.jpg (228.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1017.jpg (199.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1019.jpg (203.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1020.jpg (157.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1025.jpg (109.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1029.jpg (118.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1033.jpg (170.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by D5meister; Jan 2nd, 2015 at 12:56.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 13:05   #10
D5meister
Premier Member

Crank marks with a line drawn across..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crank marks.jpg (110.2 KB, 32 views)