Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lambda sensor advice. X teg v70

Views : 1572

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2015, 21:11   #11
D5meister
Premier Member

Not sure how a gragh of it would look, so couldnt say for certain.

I will take a look in bosh engineering handbook.

Hmm if working, the gragh jumps about in the endless search for the correct mixture.

With flatline either there is generous airleak in exhaust , but u would hear that..

Probably just dead senso
If you know u have leak can you do a temporary patch repair,, if the sensor then reads correctly then fix the exhaust.

If u bang a new sensor in and still flat, its the exhaust leaking

Last edited by D5meister; Nov 24th, 2015 at 21:50.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 07:35   #12
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

You may find that the front lambda sensor won't produce a response on OBDII diagnostics as it's a wideband type.

I'd suggest you fix the exhaust leak first.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 14:31   #13
KBB
Master Tech

Wide band O2 sensors do not switch rich/lean like titanium or zirconia sensors. The best test for them to see if they react to excess air and rich fuel is to use a forced test method. With the scan tool running in live data with both STFT and O2 sensor remove the hose from the brake servo to create an air leak and look for a reaction on the graph the STFT should go into positive number if the sensor sees lean. To simulate a rich condition introduce LPG (plumbers torch) into the intake and again look at the graph and the STFT should go into negative numbers proving sensor reaction.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBB For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 20:15   #14
Bigneil

Thanks for all the great information guys.
Payday on Friday, I'll get the suspected leak looked at straight away as my first port of call, then if necessary move onto the sensor.
Logically, dealing with each in that order will either fix the issue or rule them out. Either way I will be happy that progress is being made.
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 02:20   #15
oragex
Premier Member

Just a side note, when the front sensor goes bad, usually it affects city mileage because the sensor works mostly on acceleration. If city mpg is looking good, say around 23 the sensor might be working properly.
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 12:28   #16
KBB
Master Tech

Vacuum leaks normally present them selves at idle. With scan tool in live data note the STFT at idle. With a leak present the STFT will go into positive numbers to counteract the lean condition. Raise engine speed to 2500rpm and hold, if the STFT was in positive territory under load the STFT will go negative this is because manifold pressure at idle is in negative pressure and under load moves toward atmospheric pressure where an air leak has little effect.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2015, 18:09   #17
Bigneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBB View Post
Vacuum leaks normally present them selves at idle. With scan tool in live data note the STFT at idle. With a leak present the STFT will go into positive numbers to counteract the lean condition. Raise engine speed to 2500rpm and hold, if the STFT was in positive territory under load the STFT will go negative this is because manifold pressure at idle is in negative pressure and under load moves toward atmospheric pressure where an air leak has little effect.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom, much appreciated. However, I have no idea what an STFT is?
Old Nov 27th, 2015, 22:07   #18
4candles
I've Been Banned

Short Term Fuel Trim,,,
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 19:10   #19
Bigneil

I have some extra information: car runs rough when cold, rough idle and jumpy kangaroo when driving off.

I put it down as an innocent quirk of an old and high mileage engine (179000) and was content to give it 10 minutes to warm up before driving off because it runs nice when it has started to warm up a bit.

It occurred to me that this could be a dicky coolant temp' sensor issue...which in turn could cause a knock on effect on other systems such as fuel/air ratio or ignition timing.
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 19:16   #20
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigneil View Post
I have some extra information: car runs rough when cold, rough idle and jumpy kangaroo when driving off.

I put it down as an innocent quirk of an old and high mileage engine (179000) and was content to give it 10 minutes to warm up before driving off because it runs nice when it has started to warm up a bit.

It occurred to me that this could be a dicky coolant temp' sensor issue...which in turn could cause a knock on effect on other systems such as fuel/air ratio or ignition timing.
My V70 failed its Mot recently on emissions, very high emissions and i too thought the coolant sensor may be the culprit, but i have no time presently to look into it so i have SORN'd it and bought the XC. V70 was also a bit lumpy and jerky when cold, and also had extreme difficulty starting it on one occassion whereby it also took forever to settle down?
My reader declared the Lambda is at fault but i am of the opinion it is merely tainted by the over-fuelling...Hopefully i may get a chance to look into this before 2016!

Last edited by 4candles; Nov 29th, 2015 at 20:00.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote