Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warm starting issue

Views : 689

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 20:56   #1
Volvo244dl

Default Warm starting issue

I have a 1977 Volvo 244 dl. When i start the engine cold, its just fine, but after i park it and leave it for about 20 minutes to an hour. The problem is when i go back to start it it wont start up easily it takes a few minutes to get it started. Does anyone know why this might be and how I could get it fixed? Thanks
Volvo244dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 03:57   #2
Porkchop

I've had a similar and probaly not unrelated fault in both my fuel-injected 240's. I couldn't remedy it (nor could a couple of our local garages). I finally got a guy out from the RACT (roadside assistance) who sorted it out. I COULD get the car to start although it would run like a hairy goat, what he did was to flip the bonnet, approach the wildly bucking motor and tap on each of the fuel-injector hoses with a socket extension bar until magically the running evened out and it was restored to normal. He had discovered this trick by accident one day working on his niece's 240, it's basically a sticking injector and once the offending one is given a sharp tap it frees up. Sounds like mumbo jumbo but I guarantee it works. And BTW it always,always happens after starting as normal and then as you describe 20 minutes later playing up like crazy when you go to re-start...
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 16:27   #3
Volvo244dl

hmm..thats interesting. I took it to a guy who specializes in older volvos. He thought that it could have been the injector as well. He hasnt fixed it yet, but he and I assume thats what it is too.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 21:01   #4
Volvo244dl

and plus he thinks the injector might be frozen open, and takes a little bit to drop. He also mentioned the possibility of an O2 sensor problem. It is either gettin too much or too little fuel in the combustion chamber
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 08:56   #5
akita
I've Been Banned

I have exactly the same problem on my 262c starts first time from cold, but leave it for 5 minutes or longer and it takes about 5 or 6 attemps to get it started. A mechanic told me to add Redex and give the car a good run. I did this and the car runs great, but I still have a starting problem from hot.
akita is offline   Reply With Quote