Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 with charging problem

Views : 518

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2023, 21:35   #1
GRT

Default 940 with charging problem

Hello all
I have a 1997 940 2.3 that's displaying the well documented problem with 'no charge and ABS light on'. Scenario is:
Other night dim ignition/charge light came on, got brighter as the headlights got dimmer and we stopped.
Battery recharged/tested & is good. Also swapped out for another known to be good - no difference.
Tested alternator - apparently no charge. This alternator looked to be the original - grabbed a recon unit and fitted it today.
Still getting ign/ABS/SRS lights up on start. No charge. Initially revving up to around 2000 rpm would extinguish all the lights whilst holding revs up - drop back to tickover and it/s back to ign/ABS/SRS lights back on (and no charge, just battery voltage at alternator).
Now even that is not happening - on engine start a fair few lights stay on briefly then I'm left with IGN/ABS/SRS at whatever revs.
If I have ign on but engine off and disconnect the spade terminal from the back of the alternator then the IGN light will go out (along with a fair few of the others).
Discounting the possibility that the recon alternator is u/s then what else could be the problem?
Thanks
GRT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GRT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 22:39   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Are you certain that the recon alternator is good, 'GRT'? Have you tested it or substituted it for a known good one from another car? It certainly sounds like the alternator to me. It is not unknown for replacement units to be faulty; we once got through three in very short order on my wife's 744 some years ago.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 10:19   #3
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Brushes

When I had the same charging failure indications as you are having, one of the brushes in the alternator was worn. I replaced the brushes and initally the alternator did not work either. It needed some running in of the new brushes before it actually started charging.
Actually the alternator needs the "no charge" light in the instrument cluster to start up charging. The 12V feed runs through the light and is grounded in the alternator. Once the alternator start charging, the ground is lifted to the charging voltage and the light will go out. So if disconnected the alternator will not charge at all.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 11:58   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

If you're happy that the recon alternator is from a trusted source and is definitely good, I'd go back to basics and check the wiring in the circuit. ie battery leads, all earth leads including the one from the alternator to the engine block and the one from the block/gearbox to the bulkhead. Check the cleanliness of the connection, the tightness/security of the connection, and also check the cables for breaks at the connectors - this is sometimes given away by blackening of the insulation where the break is arcing. Yes I learned that trick through experience - that was on a V70R!

I had some charging issues a while ago and also fitted a recon alternator (ouch - didn't expect them to be that expensive!), after which I found that the blue earth lead between the alternator and engine block was getting hot, so I replaced that with a home made super heavy duty cable. I can't show you a pic as I've stopped my website for the time being - but it was battery lead spec

Since then everything has been fine
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 00:05   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT View Post
Hello all
I have a 1997 940 2.3 that's displaying the well documented problem with 'no charge and ABS light on'. Scenario is:
Other night dim ignition/charge light came on, got brighter as the headlights got dimmer and we stopped.
Battery recharged/tested & is good. Also swapped out for another known to be good - no difference.
Tested alternator - apparently no charge. This alternator looked to be the original - grabbed a recon unit and fitted it today.
Still getting ign/ABS/SRS lights up on start. No charge. Initially revving up to around 2000 rpm would extinguish all the lights whilst holding revs up - drop back to tickover and it/s back to ign/ABS/SRS lights back on (and no charge, just battery voltage at alternator).
Now even that is not happening - on engine start a fair few lights stay on briefly then I'm left with IGN/ABS/SRS at whatever revs.
If I have ign on but engine off and disconnect the spade terminal from the back of the alternator then the IGN light will go out (along with a fair few of the others).
Discounting the possibility that the recon alternator is u/s then what else could be the problem?
Thanks
As mentioned above ^^^^^ check the earth strap/lead between alternator body and engine block - this needs to be PERFECT (not just "looks alright to me") or the problems you describe towards the end of your post are a very high probability.
As for disconnecting the warning light wire with just ignition on and the charge/ABS/other warning lights going off, that is correct. All those lights should light with no charge, it's a thing to check their function and also provide enough current for the alternator rotor to start charging. Other manufacturers use a single 3W bulb, Volvo use several smaller bulbs wired through diodes to give the same current flow through the bulbs and a function test.

This actually proves the w/light cct and gives a clue to the earth strap being the cause of the problem. As the alternator starts charging, if the earth strap is resistive because of a fault in it, this resistance will become hot and the resistance will increase as a result - this will reduce the output of the alternator and hence give rise to the charge warning light coming on again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 10:24   #6
GRT

Hello All
Thanks for all the input - I've done everything that has been suggested/I can think of and I'm left with the 99% certainty that the recon alternator is actually not working.
It's going back and I'll source another (anybody got a good source for the Bosch type alternators??)

Thank for your help
Graeme
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 11:06   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello All
Thanks for all the input - I've done everything that has been suggested/I can think of and I'm left with the 99% certainty that the recon alternator is actually not working.
It's going back and I'll source another (anybody got a good source for the Bosch type alternators??)

Thank for your help
Graeme
Where are you based ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 12:07   #8
GRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Where are you based ?
West Wales near Aberystwyth (car parts desert)
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 14:01   #9
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
West Wales near Aberystwyth (car parts desert)
Bit far from Glasgow

I have two spare but not sure if one works
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: