Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GUIDE : Changing the front gear linkage bushes

Views : 74418

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2015, 21:45   #91
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz Yorkshire View Post
I found a kit on eBay which has the metal sleeves included - I take it this is what I need to fix mine, as when I select reverse the car goes into first, and to get the car into first every time I have to operate the gear lever as if I'm selecting reverse, ie, lift the detent collar and push the lever to the extreme left.
Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2817564675...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That's the kit you need, it has all the parts for both ends of the gear linkage rod - gearbox end and gear lever end - although it is usually the front end by the gear box that fails.

I've not come across your symptoms as usually it becomes difficult to select either first or fifth or both. It is a know fault so £10 and 30mins invested has got to be good and if it does not fix the problem completely at least you can rule out linkage. Hopefully it will solve the issue.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 21:59   #92
Gaz Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
That's the kit you need, it has all the parts for both ends of the gear linkage rod - gearbox end and gear lever end - although it is usually the front end by the gear box that fails.

I've not come across your symptoms as usually it becomes difficult to select either first or fifth or both. It is a know fault so £10 and 30mins invested has got to be good and if it does not fix the problem completely at least you can rule out linkage. Hopefully it will solve the issue.
First is so difficult that I have to lift the reverse collar for it to go in, and the lever doesn't have enough travel to allow me to select reverse, so I'm assuming the bushes are at fault, as I read earlier in the guide that someone else also had to lift the collar to find 1st.
It's only got as bad as this in the last 24 hours, before that it was hard to select 1st and 2nd, and sometimes when selecting reverse the car actually went into 1st.
Also there's always been loads of movement at the lever when in gear - so much so you'd think it was in neutral.
I'll get the kit ordered up and let you know how I get on.

Last edited by Gaz Yorkshire; Aug 9th, 2015 at 22:07. Reason: More info added.
Gaz Yorkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz Yorkshire For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 17:54   #93
Gaz Yorkshire

Just a quick update - I ordered the kit I linked to previously in the thread on Wednesday, it arrived Thursday, and I fitted it this morning.
I did the front bushes first which cured the problem, and as I was under the car anyway I did the rear ones too.
Gearchange is totally transformed, I've got all my gears back (in the right places this time!), and the whole job took about 50 minutes - that's from putting the ramps in front of the car to washing my hands afterwards, so I'd say the actual job took around 30 minutes.
The gearchange is a little stiff, but I assume it'll loosen up a bit as everything beds in.
Brilliant guide, saved me a garage bill - thanks guys!