Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo v70 2002 d5 cutting out whilst driving????

Views : 8563

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2014, 09:37   #11
mrjolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjukes View Post
Hi,

I eventually managed to get my V70 D5 fixed.

It was cutting out while driving and then restarting within a second, I have had several mechanics look at it two were Volvo approved and they could not fix the problem.

The problem continued and was getting worse particularly on long journeys.

I was recommended to use a guy called Roger at Fleet Car Services, Melbourne, Derby. He was brilliant and after a while he managed to find that it was a faulty electric wire within the loom coming from the ECU, extremely rare on Volvos, first time he had ever seen it. As it was connected to the ECU, the car thought it had been switched off via the ignition and hence stored no fault codes.

The car has now been running for over two months and I have done over 1000 miles in this time and it is has not missed a beat, very happy and cannot recommend the garage high enough.

Regards
Hi
I don't seem to be able to find Fleet Car services, is it still there?
Cheers
mrjolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 09:07   #12
Ben Bhraggie

Default S60 cutting out, dash lights blinking

Hi all, very interested in this thread. My 2001 S60 has had this issue for 18 months. Getting worse to the point I cannot reliable use it. Never fails to start, pulls great, love the car, then at any time and more often now, the engine cuts in and out, the dash lights blink with the engine in and out, the rev counter falls and rises in time also. No fault codes showing so I had come to the conclusion it was electrical and the ECU thought? it was the ignition being switched on and off but where to start to look? I went through the fuses changed ECU relay, put an additional earth on, fuel filter, battery terminals all to no avail. I have asked a roving Auto Electrician for help next week so this thread may act as a guide. I will post findings as and when.
Anybody in the North of Scotland?
Ben
Ben Bhraggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 20:24   #13
Ben Bhraggie

Smile Cutting out when driving

I think I have got near to the bottom of the problem. After coming through the VOC forum I started checking electrical connections. Pulled the relay relating to the ECU, changed it for one for of the others, problem gone. It could be a connection in the fuse/relay board or the relay spade connections. I am happier using the car and have covered 150 miles so far. I will report again.
Ben Bhraggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 22:25   #14
NicholasMarsh

I am having this exact same problem intermittent cut out !! cant make it happen it its just random utterly infuriating !! mechanics are not keen to try and tackle it just such a needle in a hay stack !! I too have tried to find the garage mentioned in an earlier post in Melbourne derby shire but to no avail any help with sorting this would be greatly appreciated !!
NicholasMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 22:50   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasMarsh View Post
I am having this exact same problem intermittent cut out !! cant make it happen it its just random utterly infuriating !! mechanics are not keen to try and tackle it just such a needle in a hay stack !! I too have tried to find the garage mentioned in an earlier post in Melbourne derby shire but to no avail any help with sorting this would be greatly appreciated !!
What is your fuel level when this happens?
Does it restart without additional fuel being added?
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 08:52   #16
NicholasMarsh

The fuel level is never low enough to cause a problem and no it never requires additional fuel to restart !! it truly is a weird experience usually it is just a very quick jolt where everything just dies almost too quick to see whats happening on the dash and then drives ok !! ? The larger experience as with other posts on this thread it completely cuts out the dash is flashing the rev counter going side to side !! pull over or glide over switch off turn the ignition again and the car kicks in ticks over sweet as a nut, no codes show !!!! ?
NicholasMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 20:54   #17
Balistaff

Default V70 SE 2003 plate (68k) with Engine cut out problem

Hi All, I have the same engine cut out issue intermittently when gently slowing after about single digit miles, then starts and runs perfectly afterwards, no warning lights but I will check for codes (though doubt they exist).

I’ve posted on a few threads no and did see an articles from 2016 (in the Express) detailing a recall but it seemed to be focused on a software upgrade (presumably on a newer car than mine) to fix an engine cut out.

Any more suggested fixes for this fault?
Balistaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 14:56   #18
Balistaff

Default No Re-occurrence So Far

No re-occurrence so far and I've covered nearly 500 miles,...

But it is intermittent
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 10:06   #19
Balistaff

Default Perhaps the Battery was on the way out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balistaff View Post
No re-occurrence so far and I've covered nearly 500 miles,...

But it is intermittent
I've done a good couple of thousand miles since the last post, including a road trip to Austria & back (Skiing) and had no issues.

Just before the last post, I did replace the car battery as it was on the way out and let me down. I did originally think the starter motor was faulty so I reconditioned it (new brushes) and also swapped it for a known good starter Motor (also with new brushes), but it did turn out to be the battery.

So perhaps, as the battery wasn't in very good condition when I experience the problem, this may have contributed to the engine cut out? I'd be surprised as there were not battery related warning lights coming on (on their own) and the alternator is still charging the battery (but the battery wasn't holding it for long).

Anyway, no definitive fix; accepting I've tinkered with the starter motor and replaced the battery!
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 15:07   #20
Balistaff

Default Problem Solved in my Eyes - Battery Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balistaff View Post
I've done a good couple of thousand miles since the last post, including a road trip to Austria & back (Skiing) and had no issues.

Just before the last post, I did replace the car battery as it was on the way out and let me down. I did originally think the starter motor was faulty so I reconditioned it (new brushes) and also swapped it for a known good starter Motor (also with new brushes), but it did turn out to be the battery.

So perhaps, as the battery wasn't in very good condition when I experience the problem, this may have contributed to the engine cut out? I'd be surprised as there were not battery related warning lights coming on (on their own) and the alternator is still charging the battery (but the battery wasn't holding it for long).

Anyway, no definitive fix; accepting I've tinkered with the starter motor and replaced the battery!
No problems for the last 6 months. Convinced the problem was related to a duff battery, which was on it's way out; now replaced.