Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox replacement

Views : 1039

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2012, 10:58   #1
deaglesuk

Default Gearbox replacement

Hi,

Yesterday the gearbox in my V reg 1.6 V40 (which I've only owned 2 weeks and done 350 miles) decided to let go completely (with an interesting noise too) in the middle of a roundabout. A quick call to my boss and it's towed to the garage I use behind his new Discovery.

The garage recommend I used a website called 1stchoice.co.uk to source a replacement gearbox from a breakers yard.

On this site you put in your reg and the part you are looking for and the breakers all email you quotes if the have 1.

I've had 5 quotes back (in 24 hours) which range in price between £144 and £756. Obviously the £756 is well off the mark but the other 4 are all below £200. I don't just want to go for the cheapest but how do I decide which box to buy?

The 1 I'm leaning towards is £200 delivered with a 6 month warranty which has apparently come off a low mileage 2003 v40 which they say will be a straight swap.

Does anyone have any advice?
deaglesuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 12:27   #2
gatos
Premier Member

See if anyone here is breaking a car. You should be able to get a gearbox for under £100.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 10:55   #3
deaglesuk

Thanks Gatos. I'll keep looking.

Doe anyone know how long swapping a gearbox would take? I'm trying to work out a vague idea of fitting costs.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 11:16   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaglesuk View Post
Hi,

Yesterday the gearbox in my V reg 1.6 V40 (which I've only owned 2 weeks and done 350 miles) decided to let go completely (with an interesting noise too) in the middle of a roundabout. A quick call to my boss and it's towed to the garage I use behind his new Discovery.

The garage recommend I used a website called 1stchoice.co.uk to source a replacement gearbox from a breakers yard.

On this site you put in your reg and the part you are looking for and the breakers all email you quotes if the have 1.

I've had 5 quotes back (in 24 hours) which range in price between £144 and £756. Obviously the £756 is well off the mark but the other 4 are all below £200. I don't just want to go for the cheapest but how do I decide which box to buy?

The 1 I'm leaning towards is £200 delivered with a 6 month warranty which has apparently come off a low mileage 2003 v40 which they say will be a straight swap.

Does anyone have any advice?
what were the symptoms ? You would have the renault gearbox , the nut can come loose on the end of the shaft inside the box , an easy fix after removing the metal end cover . Have you had any difficulties or noise before it failed ? I guess you have inherited someone elses problem they probabbly know something you don't !
You need to be very careful when sourcing a used gearbox , there are many types , renault , mitsubishi and volvo , petrol and diesel and each has ratios suitable for the particular engine it is fitted to . so idealy you would want the gearbox to come from a 1600 engined car of a similar year .. although a 2003 still uses the same gearbox , make 100% sure it comes from a 1600 engined car .( the 1800 and 2 litre which look identical have a volvo gearbox )
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 12:57   #5
deaglesuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what were the symptoms ? You would have the renault gearbox , the nut can come loose on the end of the shaft inside the box , an easy fix after removing the metal end cover . Have you had any difficulties or noise before it failed ? I guess you have inherited someone elses problem they probabbly know something you don't !
You need to be very careful when sourcing a used gearbox , there are many types , renault , mitsubishi and volvo , petrol and diesel and each has ratios suitable for the particular engine it is fitted to . so idealy you would want the gearbox to come from a 1600 engined car of a similar year .. although a 2003 still uses the same gearbox , make 100% sure it comes from a 1600 engined car .( the 1800 and 2 litre which look identical have a volvo gearbox )
Thanks for the reply.

What symptoms didn't it have. Ran fine for the first few days I had it, then a loud rubbing noise and very jerky under acceleration. Took it to garage who didn't experience the fault.

Same thing happened again Wednesday night along with a very loud whining noise from under the car (stopped when either in neutral or clutch pressed)

Was booked in for thermostat following day anyway. Garage diagnosed gearbox bearings whining / failing. Said it might last quite a while or might fail tomorrow.

It lasted until 2pm Friday afternoon when I had a loud grinding noise, kind of a "BLEH" and no power at all. Engine runs fine in neutral.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 13:13   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

What symptoms didn't it have. Ran fine for the first few days I had it, then a loud rubbing noise and very jerky under acceleration. Took it to garage who didn't experience the fault.

Same thing happened again Wednesday night along with a very loud whining noise from under the car (stopped when either in neutral or clutch pressed)

Was booked in for thermostat following day anyway. Garage diagnosed gearbox bearings whining / failing. Said it might last quite a while or might fail tomorrow.

It lasted until 2pm Friday afternoon when I had a loud grinding noise, kind of a "BLEH" and no power at all. Engine runs fine in neutral.
It sounds pretty bad ! if the nut comes loose you just have difficulty selecting 5th gear ..
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 14:03   #7
deaglesuk

The only gear it had left was 2nd and that sounded like a bag of rocks in a washing machine. Managed to move it 10 feet in 2nd onto the grass verge
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 15:05   #8
deaglesuk

Just to update this thread.

I bought a box from a breakers for £200 delivered with a 6 month warranty (I needed it asap). The garage have fitted it and it's like a new car! I understand how a V40 should drive now!

Now just some little niggles to sort and a full service to do
The Following User Says Thank You to deaglesuk For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 15:55   #9
Volvon
Master Member

Quote:
Just to update this thread.

I bought a box from a breakers for £200 delivered with a 6 month warranty (I needed it asap). The garage have fitted it and it's like a new car! I understand how a V40 should drive now!

Now just some little niggles to sort and a full service to do
It is so refreshing to someone fixing a serious fault for once, good on you for repairing it when most people would scrap it in today's disposable Britain.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 17:04   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Brilliant , that is how it should be done , more use of secondhand parts rather than a £3000 job with a new gearbox ..
One way the govenment could make some money is to have a central depot where ALL the scrapped cars in the country go , and sell off the useful parts to body shops garages etc ..