Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Park Assist Fail - Damaged Car

Views : 2474

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2016, 10:27   #11
Vernet

Apologies for the delay in clarification. It's the Park Pilot I was referring to: the reverse function was fine but as it pulled forward it failed to detect a short concrete pillar and as I moved forward it caught the near side lip of the spoiler.
Yes, I take the point about dumbing down senses/operator error/bad workman etc (although I was parking, not in a driving competition in case that didn't come across).
Whilst some aspects of the car are growing on me I had a persistent fault with the tyre pressure system, failure of the remote control locking and pretty poor dealer service. Before it was a year old it had to have the full electronic system replaced.
I find the whole car very unintuitive - from making a phone call (2/3 commands), using the sat nav, in-car internet to trying to work out what features it has. I find the D4 engine slow and unresponsive with poor pick-up, it's not particularly economical and hesitates intermittently. I've given up trying to put anything in the 'double boot' which must surely be the strangest 'option' going. The paint (rebel blue) seems to chip easily on the leading edge of the bonnet. The headlights are so poor (xenon option) that I avoid the country lane route home during the winter.
My intention was to run the car for the next 10 years or so however I'm uncertain how feasible that would be.
I am only disappointed as I really wanted to love my Volvo experience.
Vernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 12:34   #12
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Over the engine I would not say the D4 is "slow" that is only determined by what else you have driven, have and had really. Over the economy my dad usually get high 40's to low 50's - most of the MPG really is down to your general driving route, how heavy your right foot is and general maintenance.

The paint chips is for every car although worse on some colours due to the colour of the base layers in some instances, I have found most Volvo paint to be harder than say the Jap's paint which is more akin to softened butter.

Over the lights I suggest you try a halogen armed P1 car (S40,V50 or C30) and then try and complain. One of the problems these days really is the varying amount of light technology going on, heck you have new cars coming out with halogen, xenon, LED and laser lights - now if you are comparing say an LED v Halogen then the LED is streets ahead (my new daily has LED). This sometimes can influence whether you think something is bright or not.

Furthermore, I might be telling to suck eggs here but light performance can be hugely impacted by the amount of dirt and contamination on the car - even in Winter it is worth cleaning the lights, glass, wipers and number plates even if you do not do the rest of the car.

Over the park pilot - by "it", you mean you or yourself, whether or not you (instead of it) failed to detect the post as you are the driver....it is one of the reasons I find these parking pilots pointless.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 14:19   #13
Brodick
Master Member

Can't comment on the park pilot - except to say you can override the system if you are at all unsure at of the systems actions.

If it was me I would have changed dealers. OK not always the best option (depending where you live)

Xenons on my car are as the same and as good as I had on my two xc60s
certainly never have to shy away from any back roads.

Double boot feature - becoming more and more common in other cars

I feel I need to ask if you bought the car new? regards the current D4 it is a peach when slotted in the V40. actually I need to rein in my car. It just wants to be let off the leash.

Think I would take trip to a different dealer and see how you get on.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 18:24   #14
techwatcher
Master Member

Something doesn't quite add up here...

The OP said in the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernet View Post
I have always been slightly wary of using the Park Assist function on my D4 '64 plate. Having now damaged the front spoiler as it mounted the kerb I know it was with good reason.
The clarification states:

Quote:
Apologies for the delay in clarification. It's the Park Pilot I was referring to: the reverse function was fine but as it pulled forward it failed to detect a short concrete pillar and as I moved forward it caught the near side lip of the spoiler.
Not quite the same story, these are his only posts and a fair degree of negativity in the latest post; is it possible we have a troll here?

Last edited by techwatcher; Apr 12th, 2016 at 18:30.
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 20:59   #15
Vernet

Kerb/Post. It's outside an old church so difficult to describe. Will I take a photo? No.
I am genuinely sorry that the car isn't living up to my expectations and your accusation is also disappointing.
Vernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 21:45   #16
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Kerb/Post. It's outside an old church so difficult to describe. Will I take a photo? No.
I am genuinely sorry that the car isn't living up to my expectations and your accusation is also disappointing.
Don't take this badly. It's perhaps not surprising that you are coming in for some negativity, given this is a Volvo forum full of Volvo enthusiasts.

Personally, my opinion of the newer Volvo's is that they are not a patch on the Volvo's of the late 90's and early 00's.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 19:12   #17
mantee78

Vernet, you're not the first one who trusted his car and been left disappointed by:

http://fusion.net/story/139703/self-...ian-detection/
mantee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2016, 08:08   #18
volvo for ever
Premier Member

chris 850 . ive been working with volvo since earlys 80's when i started most common car was 1975 ish 240's great car's. looking at today's volvo it hasnt half changed technology wise ,yes there are few glitche's but what car manufactuerer doesnt have these glitches by far volvo great car and most reliable in my opinion...dont think you can relay compare car of yesterday to today's car when pdi new car back then they didnt come with radio's speakers aerial's nothing bog standard
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote