Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S40 Deck Error

Views : 17381

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2014, 08:34   #11
pgm
Master Member

The cd unit is a delphi and there is/was someone selling on ebay in the states brand new. I got one here for about £80 with shipping and duty paid. the only issue was the cable that connected it to the amp was different but I just swapped the circuit boards over. that was over a year ago and it has worked fine ever since.
It is a very tiny gear buried in the bottom of the changer unit that fails and mine did fail after a battery change so something to be aware of.

Paul
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 08:38   #12
pgm
Master Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=180030

See thread here with links

Paul
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:39   #13
alexstanleyv50

Ok so I finally got round to taking to CD changer to bits... and yes it is a toothed gear - about 8mm sized - that has stripper half of its teeth.

The gear appears to provide power to the mechanism that raises and lowers to deck of CDs and in breaking it looks like a CD has jammed and all hell has broken loose!

A small arm has also broken off half way, but I'm hopeful there is enough left to fix it back on with some careful model making steadiness...

I have also got hold of a selection of gears, and there are a few that will fit, so I'm going to have a bash at replacing the gear. I just hope that I reset everything properly, and hope that the software is clever enough to adjust the deck properly in case I don't...

I will try to document my progress of taking the unit apart again and what I replace, but in all honesty it is a complicated bit of kit and I fear that no matter what I do the changer is fubar... but as I said I have nothing to loose...

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 19:07   #14
pgm
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstanleyv50 View Post
Ok so I finally got round to taking to CD changer to bits... and yes it is a toothed gear - about 8mm sized - that has stripper half of its teeth.

The gear appears to provide power to the mechanism that raises and lowers to deck of CDs and in breaking it looks like a CD has jammed and all hell has broken loose!

A small arm has also broken off half way, but I'm hopeful there is enough left to fix it back on with some careful model making steadiness...

I have also got hold of a selection of gears, and there are a few that will fit, so I'm going to have a bash at replacing the gear. I just hope that I reset everything properly, and hope that the software is clever enough to adjust the deck properly in case I don't...

I will try to document my progress of taking the unit apart again and what I replace, but in all honesty it is a complicated bit of kit and I fear that no matter what I do the changer is fubar... but as I said I have nothing to loose...
Good luck

Paul
Old May 13th, 2015, 16:45   #15
griffgrunt

I have this only happens to me with copied discs. Genuine CD's work fine.
griffgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 14:05   #16
ST02HRT

Default Volvo CD systems

What is it with Volvo CD changers??
Had a V70 that failed with "Disc Error". Now have a V50 that I've just replaced the battery on and now have "Deck Error".
Volvo need a good kick up the backside because they know about these problems but just seem to see it as a way of lining their dealers' pockets.
Do any other makes of car kills the CD player if you replace the battery??
ST02HRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 14:05   #17
ST02HRT

Default V50 Deck Error

Shouldn't there be something in the ownser's handbook saying that the audio system should be turned off before disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? This problem seems to have affected so many of us and could have been avoided if they did this. Very angry.
ST02HRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 19:19   #18
Jim Dieseldawg
2007 C30 D5 SE

Hi folks. C30 SE D5 owner, 2007.5MY without Premium Audio so just a single CD transport in the dash. I’m experiencing similar issues; until about a month ago it worked well. Now it’s 80/20 against the CD eject button working when I decide that a change of disc is required (folks hooked on downloaded music please look elsewhere; the 2007 stock non-Premium system is devoid of an aux-in port, and in any case I prefer CD frequency range to the further-compressed range of downloaded music much as vinyl folks rightly favour the rich and complete range of their favoured medium to CDs. Whatever bakes your cake and whatever you’ll settle for is fine by me, but I’ll not be installing either a turntable or a Bluetooth boom box <shudder> in the near future. OK? Onwards then with no hard feelings).
I suspect there is a temperature element to this. After sitting overnight i.e. cooling to ambient temperature the disc will eject. You will have noticed that CDs ejected during a run are quite warm; in this warm condition it is now pot-luck whether it ejects or not, and if it doesn’t the “Deck Error” message appears and it’s FM radio or nothing.
It always TRIES to eject and often gets as far as poking a tantalising 3mm of CD through the foam anti-dust insert (which is just less than is needed to grab the CD and manually assist it out). I wondered if that foam insert was the problem so I used a small flat screwdriver to temporarily poke it into the surround and expose the transport i.e. remove any potential friction/resistance from the foam which might be activating some sort of anti-gear-strip safety in the transport… Nope, no difference.
Still stumped but I hope that the results of my trial & error faultfinding and these subsequent ramblings will inspire someone to probe further. Good luck!
Jim Dieseldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 23:31   #19
ele288

Ther is easier solution, ask dealer to remove ITP, its software to remove theft protection on MOST, cost 20£ plus labour and put any used unit with same nr as yours. It will work straight out of the box, and if not then last resort reload software for the unit replaced. Dealers are reluctant to do it because then you can use used unit instead of new overpriced hardware and labour.
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2023, 12:21   #20
Teddy1975

What a rant from you, Jim.

If you're still listening to the papercup speakers installed by FoMoCo I dare say you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a properly compressed song vs the same song played from CD. Especially so, if you haven't improved the doors so they don't vibrate along with the speakers.

To get into the problem you are experiencing... The electronics in the cd player unit in your car are 16 years old now, during which time, they've been experiencing both sub-zero temperatures as well as sweltering temps. It is likely there is one or more solder points in the unit that has failed, or even a component, such as a capacitor, that is on its way out, especially since you can get it to eject the CD when it's nice and cold.

If you can't get a dealer to disable MOST (unlikely as that goes against Volvo policy), so you can replace your faulty cd player (AUD module) with a used one from another car, you can look into vdash at d5t5.com, which can disable it for a bit of money. This isn't something that is straight-forward to do, so if you aren't tech-savvy, you should find someone who is.

Good luck with it
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teddy1975 For This Useful Post:

Tags
marcel, vaiotag