Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake System Upgrade

Views : 86373

Replies : 321

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 09:02   #101
john h
VOC Member

Looking good.

How much for a pair of these spring top mounts? (I am serious.)

You might need to slightly tilt (and/or raise) the engine and gearbox so that the propshaft runs in a fairly straight line to the axle. Having it running at an angle rapidly wears the UJs.

For radical lowering at the front, I would consider cutting a recess into the chassis rails to mount the body lower on the cross member - all strengthened carefully of course. If you also space the steering box up by the same amount by welding on new mounts higher up, correct steering geometry would be maintained.

I am enjoying following this!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:11   #102
Alf ista
Premier Member

Excellent work!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:20   #103
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
How much for a pair of these spring top mounts? (I am serious.)
I'm assuming you mean the ones in post #91 right?. Let me get a quote for water jet cutting and we'll take it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
You might need to slightly tilt (and/or raise) the engine and gearbox so that the propshaft runs in a fairly straight line to the axle. Having it running at an angle rapidly wears the UJs.
That's a good idea. I need to look at the center bearing carrier crossmember to see how hard it would be to make it adjustable.

Well I realized today that I had completely forgot about the rear sway bar. So I installed it and sure enough it is right in the way of where I wanted to run the coilover in front of the axle. No worries though, I still have a few options. Most likely will be routing the coilover at an angle behind the axle which will kinda simplify things a bit too. Back to the drawing pad.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:54   #104
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheming View Post
I'm assuming you mean the ones in post #91 right?. Let me get a quote for water jet cutting and we'll take it from there.
Yes, the ones in 91

Quote:
Well I realized today that I had completely forgot about the rear sway bar. So I installed it and sure enough it is right in the way of where I wanted to run the coilover in front of the axle. No worries though, I still have a few options. Most likely will be routing the coilover at an angle behind the axle which will kinda simplify things a bit too. Back to the drawing pad.
I would prioritise the coilovers and fit them as upright as possible. Easy enough to make a swaybar fit somewhere else. In fact, with a live axle, It is technically better in my view for the swar bar to just connect the two trailing arms - if you think about it, no body connection is required and this was the set-up used in later live-axle Volvos.

I am using an IPD bar for a 940 on my 164 - see page 14 of my thread (but be warned, my fabrication is not as neat as yours!):

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=60815&page=14

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 11:27   #105
940_Turbo

Quote:

That's a good idea. I need to look at the center bearing carrier crossmember to see how hard it would be to make it adjustable.

I'd be wary of fitting the rear sway bar at all. It can cause some seriously evil handling. Over the years I've tried them on various 120s and PVs and we generally ended up in the same place. At best it didn't affect the handling at worst it led to the car snapping from mild understeer into violent oversteer without any real warning.

I built a PV a few years ago on which we spent hours testing various setups on a circuit. In the end we tossed the rear bar in the metal skip as the car was faster without it. All it did was induce a false sense of security on a smooth road driving in a straight line.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 19:14   #106
dheming

Interesting info on rear sway bar, thanks guys. I think I'll move ahead without the IPD rear bar for now. It seems like it has the wrong spring rate for performance/track driving and I'm already not liking how it mounts anyways. Once my wagon is back on the road I'll see how she handles and make a decision about a rear bar then. It would be nice to use a straight style bar like these since it is super easy to try different spring rates.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 19:41   #107
940_Turbo

Quote:
Interesting info on rear sway bar, thanks guys. I think I'll move ahead without the IPD rear bar for now. It seems like it has the wrong spring rate for performance/track driving and I'm already not liking how it mounts anyways. Once my wagon is back on the road I'll see how she handles and make a decision about a rear bar then. It would be nice to use a straight style bar like these since it is super easy to try different spring rates.
I've found that it is far more effective to go for a stiffer spring at the back. I've spent a lot of time over the years driving various historic rally cars. As a basic rule of thumb what I've found works is a front spring that is fairly close to the factory rate but gives a lower ride height. Very stiff front springs can make the front do weird things.

The front IPD bar works well.

The rear IPD bar doesn't suit hard driving.

Lower stiffer rear spring.

The PV about 10 seconds into this clip is the one I spent a lot of time on. I built it for the guy driving it about 6 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUbmRyx7rY
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 09:10   #108
dheming

Update: I picked up some mild steel tube yesterday and got started on the new lower mounts. The bracket that holds the coilover itself is made from 2" x 4" x 1/4" rectangular tube. I used my handy fixture to hold it steady while drilling the three 1/2" holes:

Here I'm laying out the lines for the edges and the remaining holes to drill:

This was the hard part, cutting a 2.5" hole through 1/4" steel at way too high of an RPM on my drill press:

With all the holes drilled, it was back to my trusty bandsaw for two more precise cuts:

This is the result of 3 solid hours of work. Thankfully I'm planning on getting milling machine in the next few months so my days of doing things like this the hard way are numbered:
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:32   #109
dheming

I got started on the axle tower this evening after school. Made from 3" x 3" x 1/4" square tube, this will end up around 8" long and is going to be welded to the axle. It will locate a few things: at the bottom of the front side will be the Mk3 lower coilover bracket from post #108, the outer most side will have a vertical row of holes for the lower control arm, at the top of the back side will be the panhard mount bracket, and at the bottom of the back side will be the straight sway bar mount if I end up running one. Kinda hard to visualize I know, subsequent pictures this week will explain all.

Trying to cut the 2.5" hole on the drill press didn't go so well on the square tube, the hole saw walked over the edge about 1/8". This notch/fishmouth has to be pretty precise so instead I went medieval on it:

Needless to say I have a bit of filing and smoothing left to do to get it to be a nice tight fit for welding, but so far so good:
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:57   #110
Derek UK
VOC Member

Excellent work as usual, on both of the parts. I suspect that finessing the last bracket to give a "gas tight joint" is overkill considering you're going to melt it with your Tig. Would you normally chamfer the edge anyway to help the weld to fill the junction?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-link, big brakes, coilovers, spherical joints, wilwood brakes