Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav problem

Views : 6672

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2018, 16:30   #11
Johnharle

Yes and I tried a cd and it works fine. I think the parking sensors is just a sensor that is at fault according to my local Indy. I have pulled the connectors off the back of the dvd and put them back in. Still the same!
Johnharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 16:57   #12
john langrick
Master Member

This does sound specific to reader. Try cleaning associated fuse (f9). You could also try and check power to the DVD player itself although could be tricky if pins in a plug. Check harness not chafing although this would more likely blow a fuse.
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 17:18   #13
Johnharle

I then I it was a fuse it would just not work at all. There must be some reason why it powers up then turns off. It’s always the same time b4 it pops the screen back down.
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 17:34   #14
john langrick
Master Member

Still could be fuse or poor power. The unit will increasingly draw power as it initialises, perhaps reaching a threshold beyond which it cannot get the power it needs, so switches off. Check fuse for tarnish and other poor connections in the plugs in back of reader.

It looks like something fails as the unit draws more power.
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 17:50   #15
Johnharle

You could be right. But you would think popping the screen up would use the most power? Is the fuse in the main fuse box or on the back of the unit?
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 17:57   #16
SwissXC90
Premier Member

It sounds like some basic diagnostics are required here:

Check for +12V power at nav unit - easy
Check for ground at nav unit - easy
Check for CAN bus at nav unit - easy
Check for LIN bus at nav unit (difficult due to the connector type)
Due to the size of the display connector (small), it is difficult to probe it with a multimeter.

The first 3 above can be done in VIDA really quickly: is the nav alive and communicating on the bus? If it is, it will show up green on the network.

Once the above is done, check for power and ground on the display.
Also remove, inspect, and reinsert the fuses for the nav and the display. Check for corrosion on the fuses. If any found you have to fix the source of the corrosion.

If a reverse camera is fitted, check the reverse gear activates the display.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 18:10   #17
Johnharle

I will start probing with my multimeter once it stops raining? Do u know the colors of the earth? (Black usually) and the screen does work and can be controlled and menus work for the brief time the screen is on.
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 21:01   #18
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnharle View Post
I will start probing with my multimeter once it stops raining? Do u know the colors of the earth? (Black usually) and the screen does work and can be controlled and menus work for the brief time the screen is on.
All the wire colours can be found in the wiring diagram, at
http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/

VO-W (violet-white) is permanent 12V from fuse 11C/9
VO (violet) is switched +12V
SB (black) is ground, sometimes BN (brown)

There's no low speed CAN bus on the nav. It gets it's vehicle data through the MOST bus.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Mar 16th, 2018 at 21:49.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 20:08   #19
PjPZummerzet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
All the wire colours can be found in the wiring diagram, at
http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/

VO-W (violet-white) is permanent 12V from fuse 11C/9
VO (violet) is switched +12V
SB (black) is ground, sometimes BN (brown)

There's no low speed CAN bus on the nav. It gets it's vehicle data through the MOST bus.
Hi Johnharle did you get this sorted out? I've just bought a 2007 XC90 Exec with exactly the same issue
Thanks Paul
PjPZummerzet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 12:43   #20
Floodys

Default Sat nav

Hi, been a while since I've been on here, sat nav problem with mine too. Anyone have a idea on this?
Was all working fine , now with the disc in and hearing it spinning it cuts out the radio then comes back on and sounds like the nav unit "resets" if I eject the disc the radio never go's off and all the other radio bits work fine ie minidisc, CD player, radio, reverse sensors etc. I've put a "extra 12v" to the power supply of the nav unit in case it was down on power. I've also popped in a audio cd (I know this won't work!) just put in for the purpose to see if the nav unit would continue to spin the disc and if it were to cut it out the radio. It doesn't. I'm thinking it could be the disc but can't see how as it hasn't been out and got scratched etc?
The disc is out of date and I can buy a new one to try but obv don't want to buy one if it don't fix the problem plus I don't use the nav that often. Tbh it's just nice to have it all working. I can live without it!
Floodys is online now   Reply With Quote