Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine stutter D4 AWD 2016 manual

Views : 11854

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2018, 21:34   #31
Garryboy

Very similar symptoms we had a few days prior to the in tank pump failing.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288706
Garryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 23:46   #32
andrelrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrain View Post
I think I've cured the stutter on my 2014 D4 VEA Auto by changing the fuel filter.

It wasn't changed at the 4th service by Marshall's of Peterborough. In the 7 weeks since it has been changed the engine stutter has gone. It was doing it weekly.

It would happen when pulling off with the engine at around 1/4 water temperature.
Thanks everyone for the reply.

This problem emerged right before the yearly service, where it was supposedly changed the fuel filter, with no practical results whatsoever.

I state supposedly because all i could see regarding fuel filter change was some marks of diesel right above the rear sway bar next to fuel tank, is that the spot for the fuel filter?

Last edited by andrelrov; Dec 26th, 2018 at 23:51.
andrelrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 23:50   #33
andrelrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garryboy View Post
Very similar symptoms we had a few days prior to the in tank pump failing.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288706
Thanks garry but yours a 5 cylinder mine the new VEA 4 pot, assuming different components on the injection as its a complete new engine.
Cheers
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 08:48   #34
Garryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelrov View Post
Thanks garry but yours a 5 cylinder mine the new VEA 4 pot, assuming different components on the injection as its a complete new engine.
Cheers
I'd imagine they both share the same in tank fuel pump.
Garryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 01:38   #35
andrelrov

Updates on my subject.

After further inquiries on the dealer, while checking the maintenance my car had suffered on the dealer on the online Volvo system, through the corner of my eye, i saw that during the recall of the egr they did not exchange the Egr, and only changed pipes and cooler as it were the only items listed on the entry.

After apologies (they seemed honest about it) i was asked to wait until they figured out why the egr was not changed during the recall... They did not share what happened though.

Yesterday they changed the egr for a brand new with no cost to me, and i hope it was the culprit for the hiccups at low rpms and speed during warm up.

Will have to test and see.

Prior to the maintenance i had to do a long journey on the highway, and speeds where up to 100-110 mph for several miles, the hiccups almost stopped after this.

They also informed me that other clients are now bringing similar problems, but they haven't figured out what is the fault yet.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 03:08   #36
andrelrov

So far so good, the EGR was the culprit!!
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 11:51   #37
Zombiedave

My 2014 D4 s60 is doing this. Any further update on this?
Mine has already had the egr and cooler done. Could it be the vacuum pipe for the turbo as discussed on the other thread?
Zombiedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 09:50   #38
Hyp3rman

Mine has a similar problem (V40 D4 October 2014, 112k km). Same that it loses power intermittently between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm. Different that it does not do it in higher gears (maybe because its warmed up by then) and that it also does it when idling. I have a recording of the RPM's dipping when idling, but not sure how to upload it.

It's going to the dealer for examination. Maintenance history: it has had all updates and the dealer replaced the inlet manifold free of charge because it gave the inlet manifold runner control error. After this replacement, the problem was gone for a while. However, I am not doubting whether this problem was the source of the problem (or maybe one of the sources) as at the same time the manifold was replaced, the recall (TMAP/EMAP cleaning and software update) were also performed.
Hyp3rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 09:27   #39
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp3rman View Post
Mine has a similar problem (V40 D4 October 2014, 112k km). Same that it loses power intermittently between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm. Different that it does not do it in higher gears (maybe because its warmed up by then) and that it also does it when idling. I have a recording of the RPM's dipping when idling, but not sure how to upload it.

It's going to the dealer for examination. Maintenance history: it has had all updates and the dealer replaced the inlet manifold free of charge because it gave the inlet manifold runner control error. After this replacement, the problem was gone for a while. However, I am not doubting whether this problem was the source of the problem (or maybe one of the sources) as at the same time the manifold was replaced, the recall (TMAP/EMAP cleaning and software update) were also performed.
I am going to be very interested to hear what the outcome is of your investigations. My car has just started exhibiting exactly the same problems as yours.

My car is very d4 2015, 116000 miles on the clock. It has had the egr replaced in November 2018, FSH, most recent service at 114000, including the new software update in respect of the engine fire recall, together with a new timing belt.

Car gets ran exclusively on shell v power or other premium diesel and 90% of its journeys are long motorway journeys.

I am getting the feeling that its the egr again, and am just waiting for the EML to come on. I think howver this will be the time when Volvo says.... we are not replacing the egr/cooler again free of Charge.

My other concern is that this is a fuel contamination issue that has come around as the car has largely been sat unused since lockdown. It has had 1 tank of fuel and done 600 miles since late march, over 3 journeys. So could it be a condensation in the diesel?
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 10:37   #40
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
I am going to be very interested to hear what the outcome is of your investigations. My car has just started exhibiting exactly the same problems as yours.

My car is very d4 2015, 116000 miles on the clock. It has had the egr replaced in November 2018, FSH, most recent service at 114000, including the new software update in respect of the engine fire recall, together with a new timing belt.

Car gets ran exclusively on shell v power or other premium diesel and 90% of its journeys are long motorway journeys.

I am getting the feeling that its the egr again, and am just waiting for the EML to come on. I think howver this will be the time when Volvo says.... we are not replacing the egr/cooler again free of Charge.

My other concern is that this is a fuel contamination issue that has come around as the car has largely been sat unused since lockdown. It has had 1 tank of fuel and done 600 miles since late march, over 3 journeys. So could it be a condensation in the diesel?
You need to get the car into the dealer , they have new test procedures now for this kind of problem It might help with any good will rather than leave it without being repaired.