Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 V40 1.9TD - refusing to start

Views : 4800

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2016, 21:20   #1
TorbjornJ

Default 2002 V40 1.9TD - refusing to start

Hi everyone.

Before i start: sorry for my bad explanation, if you don't understand or need more info, ask and I will try to be more precise.

I have a Volvo V40 2002 1.9 diesel with engine code 'D4192T4'.
The other day I was cruising in 100km/t and suddenly I lost all engine power for 1-2 second. It came back just as quickly as it disappeared. 3-4 minutes later the same happened. From there everything was fine. I drove on for 30 minutes and stopped at a gas station for a cup of coffee. Before this I have had no problems with the car.

When I got back in the car, it refuses to start. I had a look in the engine compartment and found this:

Some fresh oil around the EGR-valve. This can't have been there for very long, as i replaced the brake master cylinder ~2 months ago and I would have spotted this then. I could also wiggle the EGR a 1-2mm each way, though this was very strange, but if this is broken in any way it shouldn't make the car stop totally?

We also found a broken vacuum hose that was located on a small plastic thingy (that is located where the man has his arm with the watch on, and I am pointing on where the EGR-valve is located)

Reparing the vacuum did not help, the car just chimes(?) with no attempts to start. From my recollection, I can not remembering hearing the diesel pump starting.. But I can't say that totally sure. If the diesel pump did die on the highway I would have stopped much earlier, so I don't think it's dead, more likely that it's the ECU that don't start it?

I'm thinking it could be a valve/crank-sensor or something that could be broken, and maybe I should buy a diagnostic tool and start with that.

Any ideas on where to start?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
TorbjornJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 23:54   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
The other day I was cruising in 100km/t and suddenly I lost all engine power for 1-2 second. It came back just as quickly as it disappeared. 3-4 minutes later the same happened. From there everything was fine. I drove on for 30 minutes and stopped at a gas station for a cup of coffee. Before this I have had no problems with the car.

Fuel starvation? Start at the source - see here.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 00:44   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Sounds like fuel filter OR one of the 2 O rings with it. It should be checked every oil change and changed every 20K km.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 08:55   #4
neanderthal
Master Member

Wink

i know its doubtful but just check fuse 17(15amp) in engine bay
The Following User Says Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 09:25   #5
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Some half burnt diesel residue is normal around the EGR area and it does look like oil. Oddly enough it is probably not from some dipstick using the wrong gasket, but from the intake O ring. When the EGR is cleaned both the EGR metal crush gasket and the intake O ring should be changed.

Trying seeing if it will start after the priming bulb next to the fuel filter (Under the fuse box) has been pumped until the bulb goes solid. If it does start OK the engine was sucking air in from an empty tank or one of the 2 fuel filter bowl O rings that very few dealers or garages ever bother to change.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 22nd, 2016 at 09:28.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 15:20   #6
TorbjornJ

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I don't have the car at my place at the moment, (I live in the middle of town and my father has a small farm with good place to stay/work and most of the tools I will need) but will try to locate the problem start of next week.

Will update then

Btw: Was researching diagnostic tools and I found 2 types.. 1 'generic' type that takes all kind of cars from '96 and up and 1 kind that is specific for Volvo, but it seems that it only works for V40 from 2004 and up?
What is the best to do here? Buy the generic one and hope it works?

Last edited by TorbjornJ; Apr 22nd, 2016 at 15:31.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorbjornJ For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 15:43   #7
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorbjornJ View Post
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I don't have the car at my place at the moment, (I live in the middle of town and my father has a small farm with good place to stay/work and most of the tools I will need) but will try to locate the problem start of next week.

Will update then

Btw: Was researching diagnostic tools and I found 2 types.. 1 'generic' type that takes all kind of cars from '96 and up and 1 kind that is specific for Volvo, but it seems that it only works for V40 from 2004 and up?
What is the best to do here? Buy the generic one and hope it works?
If you have an android phone (think Iphone to)than Torque app is good Buy it not the free one £3.80, you get more. A Blue tooth adapter is £5 and if it works on yours you can clear EML's and read fault codes.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 17:12   #8
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I think 2002 is borderline for generic code readers. I think they brought in compatibility from 2003 onwards for the diesels.

So a generic reader may not work at all. Best to borrow one if you can and try it.

To be clear, the engine rotates but does not start?

Any warning lights on the dash?
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 08:38   #9
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
I think 2002 is borderline for generic code readers. I think they brought in compatibility from 2003 onwards for the diesels.

So a generic reader may not work at all. Best to borrow one if you can and try it.

My cheap ELM327 reader wouldn't work with my February 2002 diesel, but works fine with my September 2004 car. For the sake of less than £2.50 delivered for a reader from eBay it might be worth a try though...
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ilikewatch For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 20:28   #10
TorbjornJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post

Bah, looks like you where right. The generic one did not work
The worst is that the shop refuses to refund used diagnostic tools - £50 wasted, the volvo brand specific one costs £100, maybe that what I need.

Tags
diagnostic, diesel, stopped, v40