Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to disable V90 air conditioning in winter?

Views : 1754

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2018, 09:19   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
With an almost empty AC system it could make sense to switch it off, otherwise it will keep on switching on and off very quickly.
On my 940 I switched it off by pulling the low pressure sensor connector on the drying unit. I guess it will not be much different on a 960.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyron760 View Post
Thats the way to do it.
Doing this on some cars can also disable the secondary cooling fan which admittedly is there mainly for when the A/C is in use but also serves as a back up for the main cooling fan.

I haven't checked the diagram to see if that is the case on the Volvo but it's worth verifying.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 21:08   #12
martin calva

martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 12:30   #13
martin calva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you're really that bothered about the minimal cost of the extra fuel, either stop picking up soggy passeners or sell it and buy a non-A/C equipped car.
Thanks for the helpful advice.
martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to martin calva For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 13:21   #14
JRL
Master Member

To be honest I used to think the same way about air conditioning but that was back in the days of manual air con. I would only turn it on when it was desperately needed and keep it off the rest of the time. In those days inefficient air con systems did use extra fuel but since I got my first car with auto climate control (Passat) and noticed no extra fuel use with it on I have my air con on all the time. Modern air con systems are extremely efficient and have a negligible effect on MPG. But they do have a huge effect on comfort and safety in my opinion. Keeping my windows clear and the interior of the car at a constant set temperature improves my driving experience no end.

As for wear and tear on the compressor? Turning the air con off and only using it occasionally would put more of a strain on the compressor than running it all the time. The whole air con system is designed to be in constant use. If running it caused wear and tear then we would all turn our fridges off at night before we go to bed and turn them on again in the morning.
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 13:37   #15
960kg
Premier Member

Don`t forget these are old technology car`s compered to now.......Mercedes recommend AC on all the time and mine is... it is the electronic system that turns it off or makes a mix of the air when the temp. is right not to want it fully on?

As said if you want it off then turn it off manually or pull out the plug in the middle of the bulkhead under the bonnet which is the low pressure sensor and then it won`t work at all until plugged in but be prepared for leaks of gas through the dried up rubber seals?

My `96 960 when the AC was on made a difference on a long run of 4mpg less and together with the heavy consumption on these engines you can do without it unless it is really needed.
At 70mph the 960 did 30mpg in SUMMER heavier in Winter but with AC down to 26 or 27mpg.....i had the motor for 5yrs and it remained the same.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 14:03   #16
Baxlin
Old Rocker

I think it was Michael Winner, who allegedly had short arms and long pockets, who said he’ll look to save money wherever possible, except when it came to his own comfort. FWIW, that’s my take on the use of aircon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 07:36   #17
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Like Dave has said you need to run it every so often as the A/C lines the seals.

Also someone mentioned running it low on gas... how? They have a cut out switch that senses wether the pressure is too low to operate safely which stops the A/C clutch kicking in.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 12:26   #18
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post

Also someone mentioned running it low on gas... how? They have a cut out switch that senses wether the pressure is too low to operate safely which stops the A/C clutch kicking in.
When my 960 AC went warmer but still coldish i jumped the low pressure switch with a wire then pushed the connector back on which then enables you to use the manual on/off switch on the dash.

I ran it for 15 mins at a time but if i forgot to turn it off because it may overheat the compressor also has a temp. controlled switch so it cannot do damage....it all just turns off until it has cooled sufficient.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 14:03   #19
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Doing this on some cars can also disable the secondary cooling fan which admittedly is there mainly for when the A/C is in use but also serves as a back up for the main cooling fan.

I haven't checked the diagram to see if that is the case on the Volvo but it's worth verifying.
Secondary fan? On a 700/900? Not on mine at least...

The ECC system triggers the engine cooling fan so far as I know.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 15:03   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Secondary fan? On a 700/900? Not on mine at least...

The ECC system triggers the engine cooling fan so far as I know.
Primary fan is the engine driven, vicious coupled fan, secondary fan is the electric one.

I can't find the circuit diagram at the moment, it's on Windows somewhere and the other thing is that the ECU won't know when the A/C is running so won't increase the idle speed to cope as necessary.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: