Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Purchase

Views : 1175

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2019, 10:55   #1
mercuryrev

Default XC60 Purchase

Hi All,

XC60 (almost) newbie here....

Decided we'd like a XC60 and have a choice of two at a local dealer down here in France. One is AWD 6spd auto D4 spec'd up to the eyeballs but has 60k miles on it, the other is a 8spd auto D4 Ocean Race with 30k but without so many toys.

I'm not so fussed about the AWD and from what I've read the 8 speed is a much nicer box. I'm more concerned about the safety aids the Ocean Race doesn't have over the AWD.

Other than a reversing camera which I hear can be retrofitted, the Ocean Race is missing blind spot, adaptive cruise and lane departure warning over the AWD.

So the question is, if you have these fitted, how much do you find yourself using them? Or in practice do you find things like ACC a bit of a faff?

Thanks in advance

Jon
mercuryrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 11:05   #2
Brankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryrev View Post
Hi All,

XC60 (almost) newbie here....

Decided we'd like a XC60 and have a choice of two at a local dealer down here in France. One is AWD 6spd auto D4 spec'd up to the eyeballs but has 60k miles on it, the other is a 8spd auto D4 Ocean Race with 30k but without so many toys.

I'm not so fussed about the AWD and from what I've read the 8 speed is a much nicer box. I'm more concerned about the safety aids the Ocean Race doesn't have over the AWD.

Other than a reversing camera which I hear can be retrofitted, the Ocean Race is missing blind spot, adaptive cruise and lane departure warning over the AWD.

So the question is, if you have these fitted, how much do you find yourself using them? Or in practice do you find things like ACC a bit of a faff?

Thanks in advance

Jon
I have driven for over 25 years and never had an accident so the blind spot and lane departure warning are extras I would never need. I would like the adaptive cruise only when I'm towing my caravan. Retrofitting a reversing camera looks like hard work unless your very handy and trust yourself to take a few parts of the car off without damaging them. There is a video on retrofitting the camera on youtube i'm sure others have posted on here.
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 11:38   #3
mercuryrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankster View Post
I have driven for over 25 years and never had an accident so the blind spot and lane departure warning are extras I would never need. I would like the adaptive cruise only when I'm towing my caravan. Retrofitting a reversing camera looks like hard work unless your very handy and trust yourself to take a few parts of the car off without damaging them. There is a video on retrofitting the camera on youtube i'm sure others have posted on here.
Thanks for the reply

We ride motorcycles and so the lifesaver over the shoulder is a good habit thankfully. On the test drive the blind spot light came on when we were on a roundabout, after I had seen the car it was indicating. Yes very good for the times you don't look, but by that time it's probably too late.

I didn't use the ACC on the test drive, but I assume that it matches your speed to the car in front should you come up behind a slower car? For me the point of cruise control is to stay at a constant speed, so why would I want to drop my speed to that of a slower car? Perhaps I'm wrong though?

I saw part of the video last night and from the bits I saw, I'd be happy to do it. I'm just not sure it's that vital to have, I drive a T5 van with sensors and haven't hit anything when reversing, so again not sure it's a necessity.

But I suppose none of the gadgets are essential.... Just interested in other's opinions.
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 11:57   #4
dhr90

While I haven’t really needed BLIS much driving round, it is useful as a supplement I find. I believe that it also includes cross traffic detection when reversing out of a space, I’ve found that very useful to warn of approaching cars and people if a van has parked next to me.

With ACC it can slow you right down and speed you up all without any input from your feet. If you’re in stop start traffic, or just very busy roads and no one can drive at a constant speed then it helps. It’s about taking the stress out of driving. I use it all the time on dual carriageways and it really does help. Tried it once on a B road, never again!! Also of great use in an average speed camera zone as you’ll know you won’t go above the limit and thus can keep your eyes on the road much more and less glancing at the speedo, useful in contra flows and narrowed lanes in roadworks.
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 12:10   #5
Richard M Knight

I have just bought a V60 with Acc and Blis and I wouldn't now buy a car without them.
Richard M Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard M Knight For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 14:04   #6
kdst5

I have the a V70 with the drivers support pack which includes the ACC and as others have said in the right conditions it's very useful.

I also have the rear camera and that does allow you to get very close to an object, much more so than I find with just the sensors. I believe you can retrofit the Volvo camera but I believe it needs a software update, I think someone on here quote something like £700 - £1,000 to have it all done including hardware, fitting and software etc. It was something like £700 option on the V70 when new.

I have not driven a car with the 8spd but the 6spd box is fine, its not a sports car after all.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kdst5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 14:58   #7
mercuryrev

Thanks all..... By the sounds of it, I should be looking at the one with all the extras.....

If only they'd let me make one car out of the two, I'd have the car I want! Secondhand cars are few and very far between here and prices are very high, certainly not the same choice you can get in the UK.
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 16:47   #8
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Nice position to be in, hmmm, which one. I test drove both before getting my XC and preferred the newer engine/transmission. Safety wise they are already a safe car, the 'extras' are more driver convenience I would say than outright safety aids. Much prefer a 'lifesaver' than a warning from Bliss, and have managed the last 3 years without reversing cameras and ACC.

You may have already seen this . . . https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555 it might help sway your decision.

Happy choosing.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 17:30   #9
mercuryrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Nice position to be in, hmmm, which one. I test drove both before getting my XC and preferred the newer engine/transmission. Safety wise they are already a safe car, the 'extras' are more driver convenience I would say than outright safety aids. Much prefer a 'lifesaver' than a warning from Bliss, and have managed the last 3 years without reversing cameras and ACC.

You may have already seen this . . . https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555 it might help sway your decision.

Happy choosing.
Thanks for the reply

Yes I had read a little about the EGR on the VEA engines, I didn't spot which engine it was until I got home last night. I'll wade through a few more pages to educate myself. I take it that it isn't a deal breaker?

If we do go for that one then I will be quizzing them on what work has been done, if any, and whether there is Volvo service history. I'll also make sure I know what they would do in the event of a problem after the 12 months warranty runs out.

They do offer an extended warranty, but you have to do it in conjunction with their finance scheme. Which at a minimum of 5K and nearly 8% APR, is rather expensive. I think I'd rather stick the money away in a rainy day fund.

I still have the (outdated) idea in my head that a Volvo is an old man's car (I even convinced my dad to buy a 244GLT when he retired). Now I've taken early retirement, what am I thinking of buying..... So I guess the AWD is pipe and slippers and the Ocean Race suggests I might still sail round the world....
The Following User Says Thank You to mercuryrev For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 18:01   #10
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryrev View Post
Thanks for the reply

Yes I had read a little about the EGR on the VEA engines, I didn't spot which engine it was until I got home last night. I'll wade through a few more pages to educate myself. I take it that it isn't a deal breaker?

If we do go for that one then I will be quizzing them on what work has been done, if any, and whether there is Volvo service history. I'll also make sure I know what they would do in the event of a problem after the 12 months warranty runs out.

They do offer an extended warranty, but you have to do it in conjunction with their finance scheme. Which at a minimum of 5K and nearly 8% APR, is rather expensive. I think I'd rather stick the money away in a rainy day fund.

I still have the (outdated) idea in my head that a Volvo is an old man's car (I even convinced my dad to buy a 244GLT when he retired). Now I've taken early retirement, what am I thinking of buying..... So I guess the AWD is pipe and slippers and the Ocean Race suggests I might still sail round the world....
I don't know the age of the vehicles involved but if it has had the EGR/Cooler done in the past year then it should be on whats called 'the final fix'. It would be a prudent move to quiz them on the history.

Yeah, I think the pipe and slippers and old mans car perception is well and truly buried. As far as I'm aware we didn't get the Ocean Race XC60 in the UK, I've certainly never seen one.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post: