Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Goodwill?

Views : 3337

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2019, 21:52   #1
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Default Volvo Goodwill?

I'm hoping to get some advice on the best way to seek Volvo goodwill in contributing towards a repair.

For the last couple of months I've been having ongoing intermittent issues with the dash displays, electric windows, central locking and various electrical switch controls, etc... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289206

The good news is that a technician at a local Volvo dealership has found the cause of the problem (a small leak from the rear screen washer pipe that was causing a mist of washer spray to penetrate a number of underdash multi-pin electrical connectors) and has been able to carefully dismantle and clean up the affected connectors and properly fit the leaking pipe). I've been really impressed with his professionalism and methodical approach to it all... the bad news is that I'm now looking at a bill for 5.5 hours labour at £90/hr plus VAT, so around £600 total. The car is still with them so they can check that the repair has been successful; the technician was using my car to drive to/from home with diagnostics connected.

Given that the technician suggested that the washer pipe was probably leaking due to having been badly fitted when the car was built, how likely is it that Volvo might cover all or some of the £600 bill? The car is just under 4 years old and has FVSH, however I've only owned it since early July 2018. Do I need to somehow get the dealer to approach Volvo or - if they refuse - can I contact Volvo myself? The dealer staff have all been brilliantly helpful and pleasant, but the service advisor was actually quite negative when I previously asked her about a contribution under Volvo goodwill.

Any advice gratefully received!

Last edited by Zebster; Jan 30th, 2019 at 21:59.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 22:22   #2
wilbydoughboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I'm hoping to get some advice on the best way to seek Volvo goodwill in contributing towards a repair.

For the last couple of months I've been having ongoing intermittent issues with the dash displays, electric windows, central locking and various electrical switch controls, etc... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289206

The good news is that a technician at a local Volvo dealership has found the cause of the problem (a small leak from the rear screen washer pipe that was causing a mist of washer spray to penetrate a number of underdash multi-pin electrical connectors) and has been able to carefully dismantle and clean up the affected connectors and properly fit the leaking pipe). I've been really impressed with his professionalism and methodical approach to it all... the bad news is that I'm now looking at a bill for 5.5 hours labour at £90/hr plus VAT, so around £600 total. The car is still with them so they can check that the repair has been successful; the technician was using my car to drive to/from home with diagnostics connected.

Given that the technician suggested that the washer pipe was probably leaking due to having been badly fitted when the car was built, how likely is it that Volvo might cover all or some of the £600 bill? The car is just under 4 years old and has FVSH, however I've only owned it since early July 2018. Do I need to somehow get the dealer to approach Volvo or - if they refuse - can I contact Volvo myself? The dealer staff have all been brilliantly helpful and pleasant, but the service advisor was actually quite negative when I previously asked her about a contribution under Volvo goodwill.

Any advice gratefully received!

I would get the Volvo technician to put in writing that the problem was caused by bad fitting as stated above and if you get no joy with the bill plus compensation you can always make a claim in the small claims court as a last resort. Your claim should be with whoever sold you the car assuming it was not a private sale.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 10:17   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I'm really just looking for advice on how best to obtain a contribution from Volvo under their goodwill programme. I often see posts where people have been successful (admittedly in connection with VEA EGR valve replacement mostly) but it seems to require the dealer to make the initial contact. Is this really the case?
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 21:06   #4
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

I’d ask to speak to the service manager rather that the service advisor, we used the Doncaster dealer recently for an oxygen sensor fault and they went to Volvo who covered it under goodwill without us even mentioning it. Hope this helps
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discombobulated For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 23:22   #5
Chrisv60

Yeah, the dealer negotiated the goodwill contribution without much prompting from me when my 4 year old car needed a new EGR and engine.

I got the impression that it was the technician who had been on to Volvo and had to negotiate quite hard, arguing about full Volvo service history, etc before they agreed a 90% contribution.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 14:51   #6
volvo for ever
Premier Member

common fault the connectors are down by nsf footwell
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 14:58   #7
S60RDesign

Volvo customer services have told me a couple of times that goodwill is issued at a dealer’s discretion and to speak to them about it. Apparently they’re authorised to accept or deny it. I highly doubt you’ll get anything but good luck and let us know.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 17:20   #8
kenny
Master Member

As the technician is advising this was caused by the pipe being fitted wrong at the factory it means that it was wrong when you bought it. You therefore have a claim against the selling dealer under the consumers right act. This act is valid for six years in England 5 in Scotland. This is very clear that the item must be fit for purpose at the time of sale. Anything that goes wrong within the first six months is automatically regarded as being at fault at the time of sale unless the dealer can prove it is not faulty. After six months you need proof that it was faulty. So you need something in writing from the Technician. Is it the selling dealer that is fixing the car? You can also hold the finance company jointly responsible under section 75 of the consumer credit act if you have finance on the car or if you paid at least £100 towards it on a credit card.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 17:30   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
common fault the connectors are down by nsf footwell
Really? From a leaking rear wash pipework connection? The dealer told me they'd never heard of it before, although they were familiar with the leaking windscreen bond issue (although hardly ever on a FL P3)
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 17:31   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
As the technician is advising this was caused by the pipe being fitted wrong at the factory it means that it was wrong when you bought it. You therefore have a claim against the selling dealer under the consumers right act. This act is valid for six years in England 5 in Scotland. This is very clear that the item must be fit for purpose at the time of sale. Anything that goes wrong within the first six months is automatically regarded as being at fault at the time of sale unless the dealer can prove it is not faulty. After six months you need proof that it was faulty. So you need something in writing from the Technician. Is it the selling dealer that is fixing the car? You can also hold the finance company jointly responsible under section 75 of the consumer credit act if you have finance on the car or if you paid at least £100 towards it on a credit card.
I bought it at auction. No finance, no credit card.