Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 HELP..! - Whirring/Wining noise when car starts

Views : 631

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2019, 11:05   #1
Shah

Default XC60 HELP..! - Whirring/Wining noise when car starts

Hi Guys,

Need advice. I have a 2012 XC60 AWD SELUX.

Last week i noticed a Whirring noise when the car starts. This stays usually constant even when i throttle up. It also lasts an extra 2-3 seconds when the engine goes off. In indle, i can hear it very loudly.

Cannot locate exactly where its coming from and its a cross between a whirring and wining noise. As mention if i start the engine in idle i can hear it and it is loud and when im driving i can still hear it in the background. It does not get louder when i hit the accelerator and when i turn the engine off it can last a few second more.

Any thoughts..?

Took to local garage who said may be alternator but not sure. I thought may be a belt or may be some bearings on something that goes round!

Thanks for advice.

Last edited by Shah; Feb 6th, 2019 at 11:07. Reason: title change
Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 13:42   #2
Spike56
Master Member

My S60 makes a 'purring' sound when the climate control system is switched on. Goes off after the CCS is switched off again...…..It's an odd sound. Not like a bearing going bad and not quite a low rumble.

I just make the radio a little louder!
Spike56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 15:24   #3
Shah

This is when the CC is off.

It comes as soon as the ignition is switched on and continues until it's switched off.

Sounds like either a bearing not doing it's job on a pulley/wheel or a belt squeel!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shah For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 20:42   #4
benr7310
Master Member

Alternator front bearing

Get a long screwdriver/other long object and put one end on the alternator when running and your ear to the other. Then test on another pulley to confirm it was definitely alternator.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 21:14   #5
Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by benr7310 View Post
Alternator front bearing

Get a long screwdriver/other long object and put one end on the alternator when running and your ear to the other. Then test on another pulley to confirm it was definitely alternator.
Would i also need to book a GP appointment as well ..! I am assuming you wanting me to hear the vibrations!

Thanks for the advice - Will have a look tomorrow.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 07:36   #6
benr7310
Master Member

Yeah you can hear for definite which bearing is shot - it acts as a stethoscope.

Sounds like you're having the same problem I had though, which was alternator front bearing. You'd either need a new alternator (£300ish plus labour) or a refurb shop to take it apart and replace the bearing.

Last edited by benr7310; Feb 7th, 2019 at 07:39.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 09:24   #7
Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by benr7310 View Post
Yeah you can hear for definite which bearing is shot - it acts as a stethoscope.

Sounds like you're having the same problem I had though, which was alternator front bearing. You'd either need a new alternator (£300ish plus labour) or a refurb shop to take it apart and replace the bearing.
Wow...that's exactly what the mechanic said. Are you mark my mechanic by any chance!

I lifted hood and could not locate it. The sound is a little less but still there...he quoted above. Funny alternator works fine.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 13:56   #8
Jensencars

Alternator will probably work (charge) fine until the point the bearings seize up then there’s trouble !!!!!
Jensencars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 18:53   #9
benr7310
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shah View Post
Wow...that's exactly what the mechanic said. Are you mark my mechanic by any chance!

I lifted hood and could not locate it. The sound is a little less but still there...he quoted above. Funny alternator works fine.
Haha no. Just been working on cars for years & did my alternator when it went around may 2018.

It'll charge fine but when the bearing eventually seizes then you'll have big problems.

Personally I went with a new alternator rather than a refurbing mine as it was easier for me to do.

Try and find an alternator refurb shop near you and ask them for a quote.