Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: replacing PCV/ oil seperator system

Views : 32386

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2017, 13:00   #51
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Pretty sure that Phil is the only one who can do that. I'm also pretty sure that he is subscribed to this thread. He will very likely chime in shortly.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 17:17   #52
ikiller

Unfortunately I am going to start digging into the car right now. I hope Phil sees this, but it would be great if someone else who has the guide could post it up somewhere and PM me a link or put a link here.

I can use his text from the first post, but pictures would be nice.
ikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 20:41   #53
phil_r

Evening, dropbox changed settings recently.

Try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/a38lb5aueusvdbn/pcv.pdf?dl=0

Hope you manage to get everything cleaned and replaced as needed

Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to phil_r For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 00:07   #54
ikiller

Thanks a bunch. I'm going ahead and replacing cam shaft seals at the same time since I thought they overlapped well and I'm trying to solve some oil leaks.

Thanks again,

Mario
ikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 21:12   #55
nickar

This guide is very useful. Thank you. I am midway through the job and a few of those steps have saved a lot of frustration.
nickar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 19:16   #56
nickar

I am at the stage where everything is off with new parts ready to go back on. Before I attach it all, is cleaning gunk I can see (it was almost solid like charcoal) out of the pipes on the engine enough? I was just wondering if I need to blow some air through to dislodge any stuff further inside (if I can find an air duster can).

Pics of the pipes as they were when I took the PCV box off:

I don't need to worry about the PCV system itself because I have new pipes and a new plastic box.

Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 19:49   #57
phil_r

It was a long time ago, i think i just got as much crud out as i could, probably with a screwdriver. I think mine looked really bad as yours does in the picture but wasn't much further inside than what you can see.
The Following User Says Thank You to phil_r For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 20:16   #58
nickar

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_r View Post
It was a long time ago, i think i just got as much crud out as i could, probably with a screwdriver. I think mine looked really bad as yours does in the picture but wasn't much further inside than what you can see.
Thank you. I thought that was the case but wasn't sure what was beyond those pipes. I may just attach an old vacuum to suck out any other bits!
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 20:02   #59
nickar

A few problems I had along the way for anybody else doing this:

- The turbo engine needs a few more bits removed (eg. The bug aluminium pipe that feeds the turbo).
- There are THREE versions of the PCV pipework and they are all the same at the back end. However, the front end that attaches to the inlet manifold is different on all of them. Even my local Volvo showroom were unsure which one my car needed so careful what you buy. Some suppliers online are listing the wrong one.
- Definitely ensure you have a 1/4 inch ratchet as others have advised. It's extremely useful - the smaller the better.
- There are some gasket washers you will need when fitting the back end of the pipe. They are part number 947282. Only two are needed but more is better as you will drop at least two if you are like me. They are copper crush washers with 12mm inside diameter, 15mm outside and 1.4mm thick.

Charlton Volvo Centre on eBay were cheapest for the new pipework and box. They are now aware (thanks to me) of the different pipes too.

I'll post here if I think of anything else.