Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bi-Xenon projection/levelling trouble

Views : 1119

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 14:52   #1
regan

Default Bi-Xenon projection/levelling trouble

Hello to all
Newbie here with a question relating to the Bi-Xenons fitted to the S40/V50 (MY2007).

I have an S40 SE Sport 2.0D fitted with Bi-Xenons and find that they do not project enough light far enough up the road, which makes night driving (esp on unlit A roads etc) a real handful. On full beam they're great, like my own personal piece of daylight, but obviously they need to be dipped for oncomers!

I reported a problem the offside lamp being permanently stuck in the lowest position a couple of months ago. The problem seemed to lie with the self-levelling mechanisms. Took it into Stratstone Cardiff, who found a fault with the rear suspension sensors, and re-calibrated them. It seemed to improve, but not much. The offside lamp seems to be only projecting aroung 60-70% of what i think should be the full range. The nearside unit (because of the way it projects far further up the nearside of the road) is fine, and left hand bends are much easier to negotiate than right handers because of this! Because the lights are almost constantly adjusting accoring to rear suspension travel (imagine any twisty A road), at night, i find that i have to constantly light up the full beam to see where the road is going. Stratstone have had another look this week, but told me it's all in order. I feel i have nowhere left to go, as i am convinved there's something not quite right.

Does anyone else suffer with this problem, or like me, feel that they're not as good as they should be???

your help is much needed and appreciated.

Thanks
Regan
regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 23:22   #2
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

yes i to am dissapointed with the xenon setup, it casts far too little little light on the road. Going along a country lane in the winter can be very dangerous with driving at reduced speed due to the light fact.

they self level so as not to dazzle oncommers because of their extra brightness, but i miss the manual level you could adjust like on the standard bulb units

for the spec of car you should get better vision
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:45   #3
regan

thanks for your reply. i am sort of glad to learn that i'm not the only one but still disappointed at the same time. my missus should be getting a new focus soon, also with bi-xenons, so i will take both cars out and do a side-by-side comparison.

i'm still thinking of taking to another dealer in the meantime for a second opinion. whilst i accept that they are not an MOT failure, i still think the sensors are forcing the lamps down too far. for example, going uphill the lamps project brilliantly on standard dip. downhill or level, and it's a big problem.

i am convinced they're not set up properly.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 19:53   #4
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

i was as well but its a trait of the setup, oh well hopefully not too many dark nights ahead at the moment, maybe get them at the right height by fooling them that they need to be higher then disconnect the levelling sensor, or maybe the adjustable kits will still fit behind the light, and then you would just need the controller
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 19:53   #5
chris500ie

Default headlights

hi,

have a 2007 s40 1.6d se lux and the have no issues with the lights on dip at all, range is better than my 2006 golf gti ones, must be something wrong with yours??

regards

chris
chris500ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:07   #6
regan

Thanks for your replies.

i've given up on getting these re-checked (was going to take to another dealer for second opinion following Stratstone Cardiff's conclusion that they are ok) - however i am changing jobs at beginning of May and the car is being returned to lease company.
I will make a note in the owners' manual for the next driver as i am totally convinced they're levelling in the opposite direction i.e. going down when they should be pointing upwards.
Cheers
Regan
Old May 21st, 2007, 22:06   #7
euro3b
S40 F0RUMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36016v View Post
yes i to am dissapointed with the xenon setup, it casts far too little little light on the road. Going along a country lane in the winter can be very dangerous with driving at reduced speed due to the light fact.

they self level so as not to dazzle oncommers because of their extra brightness, but i miss the manual level you could adjust like on the standard bulb units

for the spec of car you should get better vision

So do you end up driving with your high beams on to illuminate the road?

Rich

Group Buy: CF Engine Covers & Battery Covers for the T5 Engine Click Here to Sign Up
euro3b is offline   Reply With Quote