Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A car aimed at me?

Views : 2722

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 02:41   #1
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default A car aimed at me?

I can't help thinking I should be buying a C30.

# It's argueable the closes spiritual sucessor to the 300 series, which 'fit' me.
# It's aimed at my demographic (20-something professional without family)
# For a fairly boring but high quality car to 'just travel' in, it seems ideal.
# I like it!

Your thoughts? I'm particularly interested to hear what other people from the target demographic think.

Time will tell, but I have a feeling Volvo have really got this right. It's arguably a couple of grand too expensive...but I still want one. That's the thing...I WANT one. Dammit, they got me - hook line and sinker! Trouble is, I just bought a house instead. Bugger.

If I was playing the game, I'd buy an Audi A2 TDI now, and swap it for a 2-3 year old C30 D5 in 3-4 years time. Having said that, my 240 on LPG is almost as cheap to fuel, still puts a smile on my face (people are TERRIFIED of it! The land-barge effect ), will almost certainly be just as reliable, if not more so, and isn't going to cost me (tens of) thousands of quid to buy.

That's basically the only turn off. The car may be nice, but compared to a quality used car (say dropping 2-3k and getting a Passat TDI, or similar...or even 5k on an S60 D5), it's VERY expensive. It's not like a 5 year old car is ready for the scrap heap! Anything up to 10-15 years should be perfectly trouble free these days. With a little TLC, me and my housemate are happily daily-driving (for work, etc) a pair of 20 year old Volvos - both of which were free. How do they 'sell' such an expensive concept to people? I'm not poor, but I'm not stupid either...doing the sums, buying a new C30 for any reason other than "I want to" really doesn't make sense.

Apologies if I'm rambling here...just the thoughts of someone who could, and argueably 'should' be buying a C30. Thought it might be interesting...

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:02   #2
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I can't help thinking I should be buying a C30.

# It's argueable the closes spiritual sucessor to the 300 series, which 'fit' me.
# It's aimed at my demographic (20-something professional without family)
# For a fairly boring but high quality car to 'just travel' in, it seems ideal.
# I like it!

Your thoughts? I'm particularly interested to hear what other people from the target demographic think.

Time will tell, but I have a feeling Volvo have really got this right. It's arguably a couple of grand too expensive...but I still want one. That's the thing...I WANT one. Dammit, they got me - hook line and sinker! Trouble is, I just bought a house instead. Bugger.

If I was playing the game, I'd buy an Audi A2 TDI now, and swap it for a 2-3 year old C30 D5 in 3-4 years time. Having said that, my 240 on LPG is almost as cheap to fuel, still puts a smile on my face (people are TERRIFIED of it! The land-barge effect ), will almost certainly be just as reliable, if not more so, and isn't going to cost me (tens of) thousands of quid to buy.

That's basically the only turn off. The car may be nice, but compared to a quality used car (say dropping 2-3k and getting a Passat TDI, or similar...or even 5k on an S60 D5), it's VERY expensive. It's not like a 5 year old car is ready for the scrap heap! Anything up to 10-15 years should be perfectly trouble free these days. With a little TLC, me and my housemate are happily daily-driving (for work, etc) a pair of 20 year old Volvos - both of which were free. How do they 'sell' such an expensive concept to people? I'm not poor, but I'm not stupid either...doing the sums, buying a new C30 for any reason other than "I want to" really doesn't make sense.

Apologies if I'm rambling here...just the thoughts of someone who could, and argueably 'should' be buying a C30. Thought it might be interesting...

cheers

James
sorry a liitle on track and of
i like this new bug yes not bad
but it just looks to fordish
oh the other thing what do u get to the galon on ur 240 lpg because mine seems like it cheaper to run on petrol at the moment
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:36   #3
Kimbie

I have to agree with Adam, on the ford looks, I cant help thinking they have taking a fiesta and just put another body shell on it.

I do and dontl ike it, much like my thoughts on the Megane when it was releaunched with the odd end

Kimbie
Kimbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:38   #4
imac
Premier Member

Hi James,

Right. I have also been considering the C30 (And a lot of other cars, to be fair). I've arranged test drives, but I've had to delay them due to the pressures of being a final year Uni student.

Anyway.

The ones to go for are, in my opinion the 2.0D, the D5 and the T5.

T5-

Basically this is just a tarted up Focus ST. I would save some money and buy a year old Focus ST in a subtle colour with all the toys (Xenons, Sat Nav etc) for about £10k less than a new C30 T5 costs. The same companies tune them with good results. The Focus is a little more... common? And doesn't quite have the looks of the C30 (and the uniqueness), and it also has a horrid dash - but for £10k saving I'd probably live with that.

2.0D-

I've driven the V50 with this engine earlier this year and it was a good all-rounder. Did exactly what it says on the tin. Not really very exciting though.

D5-

This is where it gets interesting. A small car with a nice torquey engine. Generally I'm not a fan of small cars, but I did have a complete hoot in a Peugeot 307 with the 136 HDI engine (same as the 2.0D Volvo unit) in France. Very impressed with the mid range but felt it could do with a bit more. As standard, they are obviously 180bhp and remapped over 200 and I think they will be great fun. I'm genuinely quite excited about this concept but as you say - they are SO expensive for what they are. If you spec one with the "right" options (Se sport, sat nav, lots of toys) you're looking at about £28k+.

At the end of the day, they will cost you heaps more than running an old 200 series. But you get all the toys, a warranty and a brand new or newish car. Some people like this, some people aren't bothered. I fall mid-way and thats why I got myself a newish (2.5 years old when i bought it!) S60 D5.

Most dealerships have them for test drives now, so go and see what you think!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 13:01   #5
James_N
VOC Member

Ive been debating whether to buy a newer volvo, but i just cant do it because:

- I enjoy the cheapness of my 7
- its easy to service and all work can be done yoruself, meaning no trips to stealers.
- I dont have to pay any big finance / insurance bills
- Really all i have to pay for, is fuel

I have to say also, im converted to big cars like the 2/7 series. My mate had a fair smash about a year ago. He screwed his leg up pretty bad, resulting in him being off work for a long time (hes not long gone back). At the time he was driving a VW Bora that he had just bought off a member of his family.
Had he been driving his pug 306 at the time, i dread to think what the outcome may of been.

That said, whats posted above, is my opinion.

Plus points for the new C30, is that its rather good looking, comes with some very good engines, and hopefully it should be trouble free motoring for 3 years or so (given the warrenty with it etc).

I just couldnt buy a new one and live with the depriciation.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:44   #6
ahal
Master Member

Post C-30 ... hmmm

Hi all,

My local dealer assured me that the C-30 was "better to look at in the flesh", having asked me if I'd seen the car online. Never did go for a test drive, but a few weeks later I caught up with a promo one on a ramp outside a shopping centre.

First thing which struck me was that the wheelbase seems too short. It looks at least 6 inches too short, and - again MY OPINION - gives the car a slightly 'caricature' ( spelling? ) look. Next thing I noticed were the side - skirts. That's the last place I'd put highly finished ( metallic ) composites. I can imagine a lot of ugly stone damage over time.

The front looked fragile to my eyes ... as though a good downward push on the bonnet would break it. I love the tailgate design ... it's the one thing I really loved about it. As for the rest of the car, I think they could've pushed the design much further.

The 480 is nothing if not an oddball. A beautiful oddball, that is. Maybe market forces have changed since 1986 to the point where that sort of a gamble is not a runner, I dunno. Far from being a 480 replacement, the C-30 just has a tailgate overtone.

Like a lot of modern cars, the rubbing strips at along the sides have been abandoned in the design. Huge mistake, methinks. Especially if one ever intends entering a supermarket car - park.

Cheers,

Anthony.

PS: Though at the same price as the new Corsa, I'd choose the C-30.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 15:43   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

240 on LPG should do about £7 - £10 per 100 miles
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 18:46   #8
Muscas
Master Member

Interesting topic,

I just went through a similar decision process recently.
My criteria was a small new economical diesel car.

I went and had a look at Audi A3 3-dr TDi, Volvo C30 2.0 TD, the S40 TDi Sport and the Honda Civic Type S.

Without hesitation I chose the Honda, I strongly suggest you go and have a look prior to any final decision, IMO it was streets ahead of the C30. Just go and have a look you might surprise yourself!

Hope this helps.

Patrick
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 19:07   #9
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up Nice!

Hi Patrick,

Yes ... the Honda's nice. That's the one with the headlights which 'continue' all the way accross the front? Didn't like the last Civic ... surprisingly very tweedy ... but Honda seem to have gone back to groovy styling again with the latest one!

Haven't seen a single C-30 on the roads yet. Wonder how they're selling ....

Regards,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 23:59   #10
JayK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal View Post

Haven't seen a single C-30 on the roads yet. Wonder how they're selling ....
Very well! Volvo are deliberately restricting supply to keep demand high.

Soon there will be loads about and prices will drop, I prefer the Golf GTi myself.