Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A car aimed at me?

Views : 2721

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 00:16   #11
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I've seen three now - two in this country, one in Germany.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 05:19   #12
ahal
Master Member

Wink C-30

Hi there,

Guess the old 40% or so Government Tax is scaring people away here. At 30,000 euro it's reasonable, but there's a lot of choice out there for that price ... and that price is for the base 1.6.

Great thing about the E.C. is that a car here costs more than it does just about anywhere else in Europe. It's great being a 'European'! All that talk about price harmony suddenly makes sense ( not ).

Cheers,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 22:58   #13
C30fan

Interesting thread. Thought you might like to hear a different viewpoint as I have just acquired a C30.

Firstly I should say that I am familiar with running older quality cars on a shoestring, having had a succession of Saab 900's and yes it can be very satisfying, although I did need to call on the recovery service once or twice...

I am also perfectly familiar with car economics and know that Volvo depreciation is not the best.

Anyway just for once in my life I found myself in a financial window of opportunity where I could afford a new car. My target was an attractive quality hatch or coupe capable of seating four people. I duly considered the options: 1-series (ugly, dismissed out of hand), A3 (good, but boring test drive), new Civic (good, but iffy looks and uninspiring drive), Golf (good to drive but too common), Alfa GT (tempting but a heart-only decision), RX-8 (brilliant, but horrendous fuel bills).

I had previously tried an S40 (actually on the same day as the Civic) and been very impressed with it, dismissing it only because it was a saloon. Then I heard about the forthcoming C30 which seemed to tick all my boxes. I tested an S40 with the 1.6D engine (which Autocar reckoned was the best unit) and duly ordered a C30 1.6D. I am delighted with it – see the new thread on this car.

To reduce this to the simplest level, I made a consumer decision, i.e. given that I had the money I chose to buy a C30 because I really liked it. I chose it in preference to a few exotic holidays or a new conservatory. I will have to devote my savings over the next few years to getting my son through college so there won’t be another new car coming along! The C30 will have to last me a very long time (possibly 10-15 years) so I’m not bothered about the depreciation.

That’s my story, we’re all different…
C30fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 01:29   #14
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

It's good to get another perspective. Much as I might complain that although I can afford it, the money is a turn off...it's obviously very different if you can 'really' afford it, if you get me. I know so many people in my position who have significantly stretched themselves to buy fancy cars. I'm in no hurry to follow suit.

Of course if you have the money, good luck to you. I'd have an Aston DB9 if I had the money. What I was pondering was more that it seems the car is aimed at people who don't really have £20k for a new car...so how are Volvo going to tempt me into debt? What's the big draw? Personally, it'd better be good!

Buying new does make more sense to me if you're in it for the long run. You've gotta have a serious quantity of excess cash to buy new cars every few years. My 240 was bought brand new by my friend's folks in 1986, and handed over to me almost exactly 20 years later. Regardless of depriciation, you've gotta say they've had their money's worth out of the car.

How are you finding the 1.6D? I believe it's the same 16v unit you can get in some of the new Citroen / Peugeot cars. If so, my friend has it in his Picasso, and it's a cracking unit - quite remarkable performance from such a small unit, although you do seem to pay for it in terms of a lack of typical diesel 'grunt' - it likes to be revved, and is surprisingly easy to stall.

cheers

James
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 01:43   #15
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal View Post
Hi there,

Guess the old 40% or so Government Tax is scaring people away here. At 30,000 euro it's reasonable, but there's a lot of choice out there for that price ... and that price is for the base 1.6.

Great thing about the E.C. is that a car here costs more than it does just about anywhere else in Europe. It's great being a 'European'! All that talk about price harmony suddenly makes sense ( not ).

Cheers,

Anthony.
You can blame the tax on ford as it was agrees between fud and the irish government for the tax on all imported cars when fud was making cars in ireland.

Of course, the irish government was in no rush to remove the tax when fud withdrew from ireland.
However, I don't see irish consumer groups leaping hand an foot over each other to challenge the tax/government in court - particularly the european courts to have the tax ditched...
Do you???

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:25   #16
C30fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
How are you finding the 1.6D? I believe it's the same 16v unit you can get in some of the new Citroen / Peugeot cars. If so, my friend has it in his Picasso, and it's a cracking unit - quite remarkable performance from such a small unit, although you do seem to pay for it in terms of a lack of typical diesel 'grunt' - it likes to be revved, and is surprisingly easy to stall.
This is my first diesel and I am very impressed. Yes it is the same unit as the HDi in Citroens/Peugeots and the TDCi in Fords. Having come from a revvy Mazda MX-5 1.8 I have not found the switch too traumatic. It does rev happily (redlined at 5500rpm I think) and is remarkably quiet apart from the inevitable rattle at start up. I have treated it gently so far but on the odd occasion when I have had to put my foot down the turbo kicks in and the car positively leaps forward under torque. I have stalled it a couple of times but I have put that down to my gentle running-in tactics. After 1000 miles I will be giving it full welly and don't expect that to happen again. Although thinking about it I once had a Focus TDCi hire car that was very prone to stalling and I had an embarrassing moment holding up the traffic on a roundabout on the A1...
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 16:55   #17
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

My initial thought was that the 1.6D would be pretty underpowered, but if my mate's Picasso is anything to go by, it'll be just fine for pootling around, and the occasional bit of rather more enthusiastic driving. In fact, if the 2.0D is the slightly older 8v unit, the consensus seems to be that that engine is the underwhelming one!

cheers

James
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 20:42   #18
C30fan

A quick Google reveals our little star is the DLD-416 or DV6-TED4 16-valve common rail intercooled turbodiesel, developed by PSA and producing 108 or 109hp and 177lb ft. Applications include Xsara Picasso, C4, C4 Picasso, C5, Focus, C-MAX, 206, 307, 407, Mazda3, C30, S40, V50...! Volvo fit the diesel particulate filter system. PSA plan a hybrid HDi for 2010 which if I've got my conversion right will offer over 80mpg!

Anyway it's a great little unit. What I don't know yet is how reliable it will be and if it will last as well as the larger capacity engines.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:04   #19
ahal
Master Member

Smile Interesting ...

Hi all,

Good reviews C30fan, I'm with you particularly on the BMW 1 - series. It reminds me somewhat of the fake mobile phones which were bought to impress in the days when real ones were difficult to afford. One thing I really do like about the C-30 is the centre console 'slab' idea, where there's space behind it.

I have a feeling that the C30 is one of those cars where colour makes a huge difference. I personally found the silver / brown combination of the one I looked at yukky. Then again, each to their own.

Interesting one Des, knew a fair bit about Ford in Cork, but not that. Yeah, consumer rights aren't much of a thing here yet ... it's easier to whinge down in the pub. Heard a woman on the radio last week suggesting a "riot" here over the lack of childcare facilities, and sure enough, she'd a British accent.

As for the French, they'd be throwing live sheep at politicians. The only representation for the motorist here is a yuppie from the AA who actually has the cheek to talk about Insurance ( which the AA provide too of course! ) from a Motorist's perspective!

Actually I've had the idea for some time of doing something along the lines of your own Mike Rutherford of the 'Motorist's Association'.

Cheers,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 19:06   #20
C30fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal View Post
I have a feeling that the C30 is one of those cars where colour makes a huge difference.
Having spent months agonising over the colour, I couldn't agree more Anthony. I would recommend that any potential C30 purchaser travels around and gets to see as many colours and combinations as possible. The excellent 360 degree interactive viewer at http://www.volvocars.com/All-Cars/Vo...allery/360.htm does give a fair idea but it's important to see your choice in the metal before ordering.

Being an early adopter this wasn't an option for me and I had never seen a photo of my specification, let alone a real car. Fortunately I wasn't disappointed (I'll post some pictures when I can). You also have to consider if you want the bodykit (in various colours) or the T5 wing, which can be had as a dealer-fitted option on any car in the range. Some colours look good with these addenda, some don't. Buyer beware!

My personal conclusions, for what they're worth:
The C30 generally looks better in lighter colours, but there are exceptions.
The bodykit can make the car look fat and bulky if the same colour as the car. When a different colour, some of the combinations are horrid. But again there are exceptions!
The T5 wing looks good on most cars IMHO.
Best colours: whites, silvers, Orinoco Blue
Good colours: any other blue, Titanium, Flint Grey
Debatable: reds (but they look great with full bodykit), blacks
Avoid: Safari Green

And then you need to consider the interior colour and the wheels - they make a big difference too...