Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roofbars and Roofbox for V50

Views : 1123

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2007, 21:41   #1
treidlia

Default Roofbars and Roofbox for V50

Hi all

I'm trying to decide on roofbars and roof box for my V50. (I have the longitudinal roofrails.)

On Roofbars, I like the look of the Volvo 'wing profile' roofbars, but maybe they're almost too chunky for the V50, and as this purchase will likely last longer than car, not too sure about committing to V50-only solution. The alternatives by e.g. Thule or Atera sit 'on' the rails and seem stronger to my simple mind, and provie extra width. Any opinions on either? Am I missing any advantage of the OEM wing profile, e.g. are they quieter in use? Not much of price difference either way?

On roofboxes, I don't think I like the partial-length of the Volvo weekender 370 my dealer wants to sell me, or the fact that volvo is embalzoned on the side (see above under long-term), but it feels so much stronger than cheaper offerings out there. Curent shortlist of 2 is Autoform Nova/Explorer 430 (www.auoform.se) and Kamei 450 (previously called Kamei Grizzly XL) www.kamei.de.

Any opinions, experiences, or ideally phhotos.
Specifically, does the gradual downwards slope of the V50 roofline from front to back make boxes point up in front?
treidlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:36   #2
Marmoset

I've got some Thule standard bars - If you're going to take them off once used (only a 5 minute job to take on/off) then they'll be fine - they do whistle a lot at speed so if you want to leave them on all the time then look elsewhere.

I don;t have a roofbox (yet) so can't comment on what's good/bad but from looking at a few in halfords it appears as if the thule one's set the standard (the volvo one's are probably rebranded thule anyway)

Try looking at www.roofbox.co.uk, they always seem to be pretty competitive and I've always heard good things about their service.

Rich
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 14:00   #3
Fordy

Leave cross bars on and your fuel consumption goes up, even with aero bars, so for the amount of time the bars are on it doesn't really matter what they look like as long as they perform. I got a set of Mont Blanc RF20 bars from this company, I recommend them as I had a problem and they dealt with it effectively. The bars take a minute to put on and do the job.
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:34   #4
guy-taliesin

Default roof bars

Bought mine in France from hypermarket. £26, goodmechanism, lockable and look okay too. They fitted Saab before and now V50. They do make a noise without a load on - reminds you to take them off when you're not using them. Roofbox - look on e-bay for second-hand stuff and save a fortune.
guy-taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:40   #5
savage

I have got the volvo aero bars and a thule atlants 200 roof box. The box does clamp on the original bars.
savage is offline   Reply With Quote