Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New S40 Owner - quick question?!

Views : 943

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:59   #1
paulmacs

Unhappy New S40 Owner - quick question?!

Hello everyone,

I have just picked up my 2006 S40 in Sapphire Black. With a baby on the way next month, I traded in my Alfa 147 with little to no room in the boot and back seats for the S40, the only car I considered stylish enough, on the inside and out, to satisfy my needs as well as the superb safety and reliability record.

I have had the car a week and opted for the 1.6 petrol as I live 5 miles from work, and would average 5000 miles a year, and see no reason for me to opt for anything bigger for that puropose. I get my kicks from my Porsche Boxster at the weekends.

Me and the partner both love the car, the comfort, refined ride and engine and I am happy with my choice.

I am slightly concerned about the fuel consumption. I know figures taken from the handbook are not to be read as gospel, but I was not expecting the read figure of 39.2MPG combined for my car to be totally fictional.

I have measured the MPG twice by filling the tank to the brim, and doing the standard calculations. The 55 litre tank is giving me 320 miles or about 26MPG and that is with about 10% town driving, and the rest open A roads and motorways, never driving with a heavy left foot. Basically I have been driving with little flair, no air con etc...

Has anyone similar experience and may it be a fault of some sort. The car has 10K on the clock and just had its first service a few weeks ago.
paulmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 18:06   #2
The Purifier
Martin

I would imagine the engine's not really getting up to temperature because of the short journey so as a result is burning more fuel. Probably not a technical problem I wouldn't have thought
The Purifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 19:27   #3
4 forty
VOC Member

Default how fuel figures are calculated

how mpg fiqures are calculated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they are all done on a rolling road.the first figure requires a series of acceleration, steady speed, decelerration and idling tests over 2.5 miles at 12mph average.
for extra urban this is repeated at 39mph over 4.3 miles.

now you know, but, do you drive to those conditions.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:59   #4
Northview

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 forty View Post
how mpg fiqures are calculated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they are all done on a rolling road.the first figure requires a series of acceleration, steady speed, decelerration and idling tests over 2.5 miles at 12mph average.
for extra urban this is repeated at 39mph over 4.3 miles.

now you know, but, do you drive to those conditions.

paul
No, but what most people find is that the difference between the manufacturer's quoted figures and reality is usually relatively small. With my previous car (non-Volvo) I got better mpg than the official figures, without any effort on my part, so it's all the more galling to find that with my current car (S40 2.0D SE approx. 1 year old) it averages way below what I would expect to get, no matter how I drive it.
Northview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:55   #5
mharriso
Master Member

it is always disappointing to get figures below the book, and there are heaps of reasons why they are not achieved, there are an equal # of posts on this site as to why and how and how to improve.

One that may apply to you are that you have 1.5 tonnes of car being pulled by a 1.6l engine, albeit a good one.
Inherently to get similar perceived performance to your 147 you may be inadvertantly using the engine more which harms your fuel economy.

Speed and accelaration are very subjective feelings, and even though you are not caning it, you may well still be driving it in a way that creates a similar feel as previously.....

It is always worth while going through all the obvious items which may harn your consumption though... use the search facil to find them.....

key point miin weight, min drag, no leaks, smooth driving, min breaking....
think everything you can do to achieve these and you will get better consumption.....

and at the end of the day be happy, i have a 9 yr old S40 and would love one like yours.... (or the porche!!!)
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote