Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Life

Views : 1195

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2007, 22:15   #1
craigyt4

Default Tyre Life

Hi All

I have a V50 2.0dSE on a 54 and I am now going to my third!!! set of Front tyres i changed the original Pirelli P7 at 15k for some budget ones but still knackered after 10k. Is this normal?? Volvo dealer says yes they expect that milage on estate cars especially. The wear is on the inner front drivers side so tracking looks as if its incorrect so will need to sort that quoted around £45 by dealer is this good anyone got any suggestions regarding this I would be most greatful
craigyt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:50   #2
Marmoset

That's a bit low - I get about 20-22k out of my fronts and that's not exactly acheived through gentle driving.

£45 for an alignment from a dealer is good (is it a 4 wheel job though or just front toe in?) Mine wants close to £100 whenever I phone up. I ended up using Demon Tweeks who were about £60 adjustments, car feels good.

The budget tyres don't last as well as the expensive ones anyhow, so they're a bit of a false economy in my experience.

I find I can tell quite easily when the alignment has gone out of whack, the car is a lot more fidgety.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:19   #3
lee enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyt4 View Post
Hi All

I have a V50 2.0dSE on a 54 and I am now going to my third!!! set of Front tyres i changed the original Pirelli P7 at 15k for some budget ones but still knackered after 10k. Is this normal?? Volvo dealer says yes they expect that milage on estate cars especially. The wear is on the inner front drivers side so tracking looks as if its incorrect so will need to sort that quoted around £45 by dealer is this good anyone got any suggestions regarding this I would be most greatful
Are you mad? dont fit cheapo tyres, remember that small patch of rubber is all there is between you and disaster, if you want to save money stop drinking/ smoking/ snorting coke or sell the missus etc, further dont go to a dealer for your tyres , and dont get a dealer to track them they will shaft you royally, find a good tyre dealer get the tracking sorted and fit some F1,S or similiar, after that tyre wear is down to driving style
lee enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 19:50   #4
7050man
Master Member

Totally agree with last post. Cheap tyres are false economy and potentially dangerous.

Re life (2.0D). I replaced my Pirellis (fronts) at 28k. Backs should last to at least 45k but they tend to drum before properly wearing out and then I replace them.

It does depend on where you live. Roundabouts, country lanes etc all take their toll and of course driving style.

Definately don't buy your tyres at a Dealer. Get a good tyre supplier and more importantly fitter, as you don't want some ham fisted guy damaging the rims on your pride and joy.

Get three quotes for supply and fit. In my experience they will fight for the best quote so don't accept the first.
Use the best as your start point and then go down.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 21:23   #5
caveman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee enfield View Post
Are you mad? dont fit cheapo tyres, remember that small patch of rubber is all there is between you and disaster
c'mon lee, thats a bit alarmist isnt it?
if cheapos were that bad theyd be illegal! (and tyre fitters would be criminals to sell them, and youd want them shooting!)

make sure your tracking is correct, buy a good brand of tyre, and make sure your tyre pressures are correct!
regards
cavey
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 21:39   #6
lee enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
c'mon lee, thats a bit alarmist isnt it?
if cheapos were that bad theyd be illegal! (and tyre fitters would be criminals to sell them, and youd want them shooting!)

make sure your tracking is correct, buy a good brand of tyre, and make sure your tyre pressures are correct!
regards
cavey
Make yer mind up cavey! you admonish me for being alarmist, then advise him to buy a good brand!, exactly what i said, and yes tyre fitters are the scum of the earth and should be horse-whipped daily for their own good
Old May 16th, 2007, 21:51   #7
caveman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee enfield View Post
Make yer mind up cavey! you admonish me for being alarmist, then advise him to buy a good brand!, exactly what i said, and yes tyre fitters are the scum of the earth and should be horse-whipped daily for their own good
lol
i didnt tell you my surname is yokohama did i?
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 22:32   #8
lee enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
lol
i didnt tell you my surname is yokohama did i?
And theres me thinking it was flintstone
Old May 28th, 2007, 21:42   #9
morphinemitt
My nipper said!

I'd definitely steer clear of main stealers for tracking, tyres etc.
Find a good tyre fitter and they'll charge around £15- 25 for a tracking adjustment (free at my local if they don't need adjusting) and blackcircles.com is where I purchase my tyres from (very reasonable). Choose your size/type etc then nominate a fitting centre and date/time for fitting. Very friendly and efficient. Good price too with the advantage of being able to read reviews and product info on any tyre for sale.
As for expected mileage of tyres I echo the above comments on driving style etc. Oh... and what you're carrying or dragging will have some bearing on that too.

Hope this helps.

Morphinemitt

DORIS SAID...1
morphinemitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 21:59   #10
Viper_7
Premier Member

I've use the main dealer from my last two tyre changes.

They have been cheaper than the local independant fitters and ya kwik fits of the world etc.
As well as changing the tyres they have valeted the car - dealers arn't always stealers!

There's also nothing wrong with budget tyres, they often last much longer than branded tyres - but you usually sacrifice on grip, and are speed restricted to about 100mph - but hey, max speed is 70mph after all so this isn't a problem.

You could spend a couple of hundred a corner on tyres and they can only last about 10k for the very soft options.

Totally depends on what you want from the tyre, then look at the options avalaible.

vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote