Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC70 owner random judder

Views : 2936

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 20:47   #31
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben the Viking View Post
I have the same with my 2012 D5. It has been doing it for months and cannot find the fault. No fault codes on ViDA and no engine lights etc. I have been told to drive it and see if it develops. Which it has- hence why I’m on here to make a post and then saw yours. My judder has got worse and the car now cuts out when it gets bad. Mine used to do it on the motorway occasionally but now seems to do it when I start it up. Now struggling to actually start the car as it starts and then chokes and cuts out. However if I switch it off, take the fob out and open and close the door (so everything goes off) and sit there for about three or four mins, it will start and drive with no issue.

I would love to get to the bottom of it. I wondered if it was a transmission issue/torque converted/valve body initially but I am now starting to think it is either electrical or fuel system. I have had a new battery and also changed duel filter. Now I’m thinking possibly a failing crank sensor or a slow leak in a fuel line.... the possibilities are endless!!
Mine really does feel like a fueling or a sensor issue as the engine seems to momentarily have a brain fart for a second then sorts itself out, it's very odd revs dont drop, and it is literally just for a split second. What's wierd if it was a sensor or fueling issue i would expect it to happen all the time not just above 70.

I'm also really puzzled that no codes have been thrown :-(, indy garage said they 100% felt the issue but had never experienced a similar judder and checked everything out and couldnt find any issue.

I suspect as the main dealer was busy all they did was read the codes and take it on a short test drive, hopefully if they have it for longer they can experience the issue and go from there.

It's getting really annoying now tbh really love the car but its definitely taking the gloss off the new car feeling lols
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 20:56   #32
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Modern vehicles eh!

For me I would progress as follows -

1. Get the live data recorded - TommyW had a boost sensor changed on the back of readings that were in tolerance? but not normal. What sensors have you got that are out of tolerance. I would also ask for a check of abs/ steering angle and yaw sensors. Not unheard of for ESP and or ABS being fooled into thinking something is amiss with a subsequent throttle/fuel supply cut.
You need a technician who can dechiper what the readings are not just a fitter who says the computer says there is nothing wrong. Maybe someone with a rolling road who can replicate the issue and is able to dechiper live data readings.

2. If you can afford it, one at a time, change the MAF and Crank Position Sensor. These tend not to throw error codes. Perhaps someone local to you could loan you a working MAF?

3. Any vacuum leaks?

4. Bad earths and corroded connections. I've lost count of the times a loss of half a volt has caused seemingly unsolvable problems on modern vehicles.

5. Check back in service history. Have Volvo or an Indy ever had the fault logged prior to your ownership and if so what was done in attempts to rectify?
No notes of issue in the service history and the previous owner has said he has never felt the issue, but admitted had not been on many motorway journeys, he seemed genuine and honest enough so I don't really have a reason to doubt him, the judder also only appeared when i was half way home on the motorway so could just be bad luck.

The only thing major in the history is a full steering rack and power steering pump replacement about 18 months ago at a volvo main dealer at a cost of about £1850 (eek).

I think i will mention the boost sensor and see how the dealer gets on next week and if they are still no further forward, I'll suggest starting with the boost sensor as it's relatively cheap. I'm willing to give the main dealer another go as they were honest enough to say they didnt have time to do a thorough diagnostic and go in a long test drive, they did balance the rear wheels and do a software update, and didnt charge me so I'll see how they get in next week

Last edited by scoobysn7x; Nov 18th, 2019 at 20:59.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 21:00   #33
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Ps thanks for all the help/info guys it it appreciated
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 16:07   #34
kev240
Master Member

Hi, I have a similar problem with my XC70 D5, did you ever get a solution for this problem ?
Thanks,
Kevin.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 19:44   #35
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev240 View Post
Hi, I have a similar problem with my XC70 D5, did you ever get a solution for this problem ?
Thanks,
Kevin.
Never really got to the bottom of it dealer suspected an issue with the pump in the rear diff as it cycles every so often that kinda match the judder, recommend a fluid change but suspected as issue with the pump, had to buy the whole unit was going to be over £2.5k as car only worth about 5k decided to cut my losses and traded it in for an A4 Avant, didnt really get on with thay so 8 months later got back in a volvo (V60 D4)
The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 11:04   #36
Bromie

I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but I have been chasing the exact same issue with my 2016 XC60 (D4 5 cyl).

It's a very definite 'hesitation', as if you lift off from the accelerator for a split second. It has done it since I bought the car last July and I started to notice it when using cruise control on the motorway.

A couple of months ago it felt like the problem was getting much worse (stronger drop in acceleration, bigger hesitations, etc.) but that turned out to be a choked O2 Sensor (pre-DPF "Bank 1 Sensor 1"). Replaced with a genuine Bosch and the problem was fixed.

It never felt like it fully went back to 'normal' but definitely fixed a separate issue, and nowadays it can stutter during shorter journeys (but still only a split-second hesitation).

I've been trying to diagnose the issue methodically using a ELM327 reader but I'm at a bit of a loose end. During these hesitations I can see the following happening:

- MAP sensor reports a drop in pressure (TMAP boost doesn't drop so I think it rules out the turbo/intake)

- The throttle plate closes by an amount (different each time, but normally from around 90% to 20% 'ish, which would coincide with the drop in intake manifold pressure)

- I don't think it is a fuelling issue as economy does not drop during this time (the car is even running the best it ever has with regards to economy - around 52MPG on a 300 mile motorway journey, this used to be around 44 MPG max.)

I need to look at the live data for other sensors such as the MAF and EGR, but from the above it seems that something odd is happening with the throttle. I wanted to replace the MAP at first but it appears from the data that the MAP is reporting correctly and the change in throttle position is happening first.

So my question is - does anyone have any thoughts? What could cause the throttle to just alter position? Or, assuming that it is operating correctly and closing due to engine load, speed, etc., could it suggest that the EGR is blocked or not opening properly? (i.e. that as the throttle closes in normal operation to pull a vacuum through the EGR a small drop in performance is felt as a restriction is suddenly encountered).
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 11:52   #37
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

By way of random interjection, the hesitation issue in my S60 when coming on/off throttle and cruise turned out to be a failing driveshaft. After it failed fully and was replaced all was well.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 18:20   #38
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I'd be looking at faulty boost sensor.

See here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267997

Interesting to read the comment from Bonefish; my V70 D3 feels very "on/off" on throttle and I've started to wonder if it's drivetrain related.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 21:14   #39
Bromie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
I'd be looking at faulty boost sensor.

See here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267997

Interesting to read the comment from Bonefish; my V70 D3 feels very "on/off" on throttle and I've started to wonder if it's drivetrain related.
That thread was an interesting read - I presume the boost sensor referred to is the TMAP (near the intercooler) and not the MAP (on top of the intake manifold)? My engine is a Euro 6 so some threads might not be completely relevant to me.

My only issue is that the TMAP sensor appears to be reading correctly and it's the MAP that takes an occasional swan dive (there is no drop in boost pressure which tells me that the problem has to be between after the TMAP).

This would normally point me to the MAP sensor except every time I feel the hesitation the throttle closes and the EGR opens. My thoughts are that this is normal operation, except something is causing a restriction during this action which is felt as a dip in performance. It would kind of make sense as the MAP is effectively detecting a slight vacuum as the intake is pulling air from the (blocked) EGR rather than the fresh air intake so there is a momentary drop in pressure as this changeover occurs.

The problem I have is that I'm running out of diagnostic methods and I'm unsure how to prove my theory with the EGR. Worse of all, the car is running the best it ever has in the year I've had it and I don't want a blocked EGR to be the cause of the increase in fuel economy...because I won't want to fix it!
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 23:46   #40
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Does your ELM327 read and report the fault codes relevant to this problem. You might be better off with a clone VIDA/DiCE which you could put together for about £100 including an old suitable laptop dedicated to running it and a car charger for the laptop to obviate worrying about its battery. Ageing cars like these are so dependent upon a considerable amount of electronic systems and having the diagnostic kit designed for the car makes good sense. Not having it is boxing in the dark.