Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 mk2 remote key fob

Views : 9612

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 21:15   #1
Ntwrksvys

Question V70 mk2 remote key fob

I have a Mk2 V70 T5. One morning last week I found the remote key fob, which I'd used to lock the car the previous evening, wouldn't work. I unlocked the car and cancelled the alarm with the key. I thought at first the fob had lost it's synch with the car, however I found the fob of the spares keys also failed to open or lock the car. The car central locking functioned normally just using either of the keys. I took it in to the local Volvo Independant garage who have spent the last four days trying to find something wrong with the cars CPU's controlling the central locking and alarm functions. The car diagnostics say there is nothing wrong, no error codes or messages have been displayed yet the controlling CPU's won't let them reprogramme the keys & fobs. The local Volvo dealerships senior tech has also been consulted and tried to isolate the problem but has also been stumped. Has anybody out there experienced a similar problem and had it fixed? If so would they mind enlightening me and the Volvo technicians on Tyneside.
Ntwrksvys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 21:32   #2
Chesterman

Angry

Had a similar problem, (intermittent,) with my P1 V70 some years ago. Main dealer, (Grrrr,) specified new key fobs, x2. Made no difference at all! Dealer then decided it was the (sender unit?) in the car which had to be replaced. This did solve the problem all be it at a further cost of several hundred pounds and 2 weeks of head scratching. I got the distinct impression that they simply had no idea and were replacing parts in sequence, ( at my expense,) until somthing worked.
Which may not be of much comfort to you - sorry - hope you get it sorted.
Chesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chesterman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 22:22   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Did you try moving the car and trying the remotes elsewhere? Strong Radio transmitters nearby can swamp the signal , Mobile phone masts or even wireless internet routers in the hall 6 feet from the car .. As BOTH remotes failed then the fault is connected to the car rather than the remotes .
It is pretty easy for the dealer to monitor the car via the diagnostic computer they have , when a remote button is pressed the system can read the cars response to the remote and tell which one was used .. If there is no response suspect the receiver ( The rear view Mirror ) And you cannot re program these remotes , once programmed they are programmed for life .
You say they tried reprogramming the fobs AND Keys? The keys have nothing at all to do with the alarm , just the immobiliser, and CAN be reprogrammed ..
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 17:12   #4
Ntwrksvys

Thanks for the info. You are correct in that they couldn't reprogram the fobs but they seem to think that if there was a problem with the receiver in the rear view mirror the cpu in it would have registered a problem on the diagnostics. At the moment they seem convinced it is basically a software glitch and can be rectified without changing the mirror. Do you, or anyone else, know if there could be a fault with the receiver in the mirror that wouldn't show up when a fault diagnosis is run and, given the length of time to date to try and isolate the problem, are we talking mega bucks to change and presumably reprogram a new rear view mirror and eliminate it from the equation? All information gratefully received.
Ntwrksvys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 07:58   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

even if the remote isnt working the locks , they are able to read out from the diagnostic computer whether the receiver has actualy received the signal from the remote .. If not then the next step is try a software Reload of the UEM ( Mirror ) worth a try ..
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 07:14   #6
ADBS65

Hi, how did you solve this?
Andy
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 13:30   #7
october37

Default Remote Key Fob

This was an intermittant problem with my previous V70. I found that if I moved the car 100m down the road the key fobs worked ok. Obviously it must have been some kind of radio interference in the area.

Keith 55reg V70SE D5 AWD
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 20:56   #8
ADBS65

Hi October37, I was referring to the original post --
""I have a Mk2 V70 T5. One morning last week I found the remote key fob, which I'd used to lock the car the previous evening, wouldn't work. I unlocked the car and cancelled the alarm with the key. I thought at first the fob had lost it's synch with the car, however I found the fob of the spares keys also failed to open or lock the car. The car central locking functioned normally just using either of the keys. I took it in to the local Volvo Independant garage who have spent the last four days trying to find something wrong with the cars CPU's controlling the central locking and alarm functions. The car diagnostics say there is nothing wrong, no error codes or messages have been displayed yet the controlling CPU's won't let them reprogramme the keys & fobs. The local Volvo dealerships senior tech has also been consulted and tried to isolate the problem but has also been stumped. Has anybody out there experienced a similar problem and had it fixed? "" as I have the same problem.
Regards
Andy
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 23:54   #9
Wingfoot

Hi, I have an 06 V70, and have a very similar problem. The remote used to work up to 80 yards away, then suddenly , one evening it didn't lock. I tried again, it worked O.K. Next morning it wouldn't let me in, so I changed the battery in the remote, which had no effect, so I tried the spare remote, normally kept in the house. Again no effect, even with a new battery. I got in the car using the key to cancel the alarm, and tried a lot of tests. The remotes will occasionally unlock the car, if they are held an inch from the windscreen. Also if I use the switch to cancel the deadlocks, before locking with the key, it does not reset when the car is started. A test on the analyzer at a "non franchised" dealer showed no faults in the system, which they said was perfect. They told me I needed two new remotes at £207 the pair, plus programming. I do not believe that both remotes failed at the same time. My money is on the receiver. Is this located in the rear view mirror, and any ideas on cost. Can I change it, or does it require programming?
Wingfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 00:09   #10
reggit
Premier Member

Does your locking problem happen everywhere or just in a particular location?

If in 1 location, it's likely to be radio interference.

I had an issue where my remote wasn't working, auto dimming mirror wasn't working either - if you got one, check to see if it dims - all checked out on the diagnostics, except it never saw a correct command. Had it reprogrammed at Volvo which restored functionality.

The mirror module is coded to the car, if its failed you need a new one at a few hundred pounds. It can be dismantled and the radio receiver daughter board changed if you're handy with a soldering iron.