Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

overdrive for 145

Views : 1744

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2019, 09:34   #11
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
. . . an what is a PM, exactly?
Private Message.

To avoid spam accounts, new members have to have 30 posts before they can send PMs. But, you can request immediate access here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99800

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 10:09   #12
john h
VOC Member

In terms of modification, because the basic design of the 140 is so good, a lot of gains are possible with quite modest changes.

This is Olga, my old 144S on the Nurburgring. She's now owned, and driven in the video, by Ryan (user name here Hemihusky).

I made some subtle engine and suspension upgrades, nothing that undermines comfort, usability or the original character of the car. (And all reversible if he ever wants to reinstate slowness and worse handling!).

Have a watch of the in-car video, link below. You'll see that handling is responsive yet benign and stable. Still not a high power car, in modern terms, you can see she struggles to regain speed after being blocked on up-hill sections, but she performs very well for a 50 year old family saloon, still on 165 tyres.

Even getting blocked a few times, this is an 11:18 lap, thanks to small mods and of course Ryan's good driving!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=r3yVyt2gWBY

If you want to discuss details of the mods, let me know.

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 18:38   #13
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
omc 47:it might take a bit longer as the shed is deep, dark and lots of cobwebs! I THINK there could be two output flanges available at the time so if you can supply diameter of yours in parallel to me grovelling under my 122S with OD I will measure that before I go and brave those webs!
I also THINK there are more than one central bearing, dependant on age of car, so that MAY define propshaft needed - I've forgotten these details over the years - sorry!

P
Hi Paul,
sent a PM but may be you've not received it, would still be interested in the chance of a prop.................
Message me on andy.can@btinternet.com for a positive reply as I think my PM's go astray.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 00:46   #14
morwenna240

Hallo John.

The car certainly seems to go well. Yes, i'm very interested in a few mods. Lhave not driven the car yet, just trailered back from vendor, put in garage, an got engine running; sounds good an ticks over smoothly, after an at least 10 yr dormancy. My email:marc.wigg@gmail.com Regards, Mark.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 00:50   #15
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
Over the weekend I'll have a look at a couple of o/d gearboxes I have in my store. I used to dismantle Amazons, 140s and 164s many years ago and KNOW they are still in there! I know they rotate and are not wet, just a bit dusty.
I know John and he knows more about those gearboxes than me, so as seeing you are a new member and probably can't do PMs, let me have your email address and I can talk more that way: I have a photo or two I think, as well.

Paul
Did your shed allow you to uncover any gearboxes, perchance? Mark.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 00:30   #16
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Private Message.

To avoid spam accounts, new members have to have 30 posts before they can send PMs. But, you can request immediate access here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99800
Hi John. I'm still interested in hearing about your mods, did u see my email? Regards, Mark.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 13:16   #17
Feled

Default Better breathing in a 140 engine

You don’t say if your 145 has a single or twin carbs?
In another post from you I see there is a new twin carb manifold available from Brookfield, that would be a good start. The best SU’s are possibly the 44’s which have the float bowl on the bottom. These combined with the twin outlet exhaust manifold into a twin initially and then a 21/4” exhaust with suitable back muffler should make it breath a lot better. K&N filters improve breathing.
Make sure you have a heat shield between the inlet and exhaust manifolds.
I have done this on a 142 2l engine which originally had Stromberg carbs. I had to insert a a variable pressure valve to stop the carbs from flooding possibly because the Strombergs would accept a higher pressure than the SU’s.
Sadly I no longer have a 140 series car but have helped save 3, 2 x 142S, here in Australia.over the last few years. My first 144S was bought new in the UK and exported to New Zealand. The last a single carb automatic.
Good luck great cars
Feled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 19:57   #18
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feled View Post
You don’t say if your 145 has a single or twin carbs?
In another post from you I see there is a new twin carb manifold available from Brookfield, that would be a good start. The best SU’s are possibly the 44’s which have the float bowl on the bottom. These combined with the twin outlet exhaust manifold into a twin initially and then a 21/4” exhaust with suitable back muffler should make it breath a lot better. K&N filters improve breathing.
Make sure you have a heat shield between the inlet and exhaust manifolds.
I have done this on a 142 2l engine which originally had Stromberg carbs. I had to insert a a variable pressure valve to stop the carbs from flooding possibly because the Strombergs would accept a higher pressure than the SU’s.
Sadly I no longer have a 140 series car but have helped save 3, 2 x 142S, here in Australia.over the last few years. My first 144S was bought new in the UK and exported to New Zealand. The last a single carb automatic.
Good luck great cars
It's a single Stromberg. Seems to go quite well on it; i recently got car started after 20 yrs in a barn, an, despite brakes being stuck on to the extent that two people couldn't move it, car moved off smartly. Ticked over smoothly, too. By "suitable back muffler", do you mean just the one muffler, er, without over much inside it? I don't mind a little extra exhaust note, can sound nice, but i don't want boy-racer levels. Most systems have two mufflers, so just the one, then? How about cams? Thanks, Mark.